TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which would you choose - a KR or a Ferrari 360?

randalsb

I know this group may have some bias, but I am going to ask for the sake of discussion.

I am narrowing in on purchasing a KR. The problem is I may have to get rid of one of my cars to keep the wife happy (no, keeping the cars and getting rid of the wife isn't an option).

The car I would probably part with is a 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena F1 with 16K miles that is rarely driven for the fear of receiving a ding.

Whichever car I keep I would hope to have it keep its value as much as possible. Assuming it would be a straight up trade, which would you choose - the Ferrari or the KR?

I know this group may have some bias, but I am going to ask for the sake of discussion.

I am narrowing in on purchasing a KR. The problem is I may have to get rid of one of my cars to keep the wife happy (no, keeping the cars and getting rid of the wife isn't an option).

The car I would probably part with is a 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena F1 with 16K miles that is rarely driven for the fear of receiving a ding.

Whichever car I keep I would hope to have it keep its value as much as possible. Assuming it would be a straight up trade, which would you choose - the Ferrari or the KR?

Buy a SGT and keep the 360, drive the SGT everyday and have your cake and eat it too.

Buy a SGT and keep the 360, drive the SGT everyday and have your cake and eat it too.

He has to get rid of a car.

I say keep the Ferrari. There's no disputing the Ferrari will hold it's value better than the KR.

Good luck

Are you going to drive the KR?

Ferarri is much prettier. KR is just a fancier Mustang... Keep the Ferarri.

Now, if it were between a Ford GT and the Ferarri, it would be a tougher decision.

Are you going to drive the KR?

Ferarri is much prettier. KR is just a fancier Mustang... Keep the Ferarri.

Now, if it were between a Ford GT and the Ferarri, it would be a tougher decision.

The KR would be driven on the weekends.

I have found that owning a Ferrari is like owning a fine piece of art - sometimes you end up being its caretaker more than enjoying it.

I bought the car because I thought it would be something fun and I always wanted one as a kid - I guess I watched too much Magnum PI. I have found that people are a little more standoffish to someone in a Ferrari. People intentially sneek around me get a picture with it without me knowing - its the weirdest thing. Even my wife refuses to ride in it.

I thought the KR might be something that would hold its value (now selling in the 50's) and be enjoyed by the family more, and I wouldn't have to worry about outrageous repair bills (ie $6K for a 15K service).

Please post pix.

Why will the Ferrari hold its value better, what data are you guys basing this comment on? The modern ones are not like the old ones, a tranny is 40k. And you need a 15k laptop and a yearly 2k hookup fee to repair it. It is stellar how much service and parts cost on these cars...

A really close friend of mine is a certified Ferrari wrench, its brutal, and the reason why I do not have one, even with him to fix it for free...$1500 distributor caps is BS.

I say get the KR, if you gotta sell one. You had the Ferrari try a KR you can always find another Ferrari.

Or go superbad and get a Ford GT.

Or if ya dig the sounds and the rpms...get a Superbike and the KR. Motorcycles are small.

wow that looks like a 430 .but no ferrari buff here

The 360 & the 430 are the same model line - the Ferrari factory calls them both a 131. The 360 came out 1st and was discontinued when the 430 was released. You can tell the 2 apart from the side mirrors - the 430 mirrors are more of a square shape.

As an owner of an older Ferrari, I like the KR better and dealer servicing for a prancing horse is jaw dropping to say the least. I bough my Testarossa 2 years old with 2k miles and I'd be lucky to get maybe 55-60% of what I have into it. 30k service of the older flat 12's was around $10k a few years back, a clutch was about $4-5K whereas with a KR, it's a <$100 oil change . . .

Ferrari makes a pretty car but with a KR you won't be AS afraid to drive it. I could be wrong but I don't se either car holding its value, and there is no shortage of 360's out there, just like they made too many Testarossas.

As an owner of an older Ferrari, I like the KR better and dealer servicing for a prancing horse is jaw dropping to say the least. I bough my Testarossa 2 years old with 2k miles and I'd be lucky to get maybe 55-60% of what I have into it. 30k service of the older flat 12's was around $10k a few years back, a clutch was about $4-5K whereas with a KR, it's a <$100 oil change . . .

Ferrari makes a pretty car but with a KR you won't be AS afraid to drive it. I could be wrong but I don't se either car holding its value, and there is no shortage of 360's out there, just like they made too many Testarossas.

Thats the reality +1000. Plus even if it keeps its value and the tranny goes then where are you then?

I was thinking as I am working in my studio...

They are apples vs oranges really...

And BTW your Ferrari is a beautiful car!! Did not want to come across as a Ferari hater, I love them especially the pre-70's cars. Handmade sculpture for sure.

Ferrari's are absolute art! So much history and is a car that still is ahead of it's time. Trading for a KR I believe is a fair comparison because either way you're trading history. You can't go wrong with either car, but whatever makes you happy is all that matters!

Well here's my opinion. I believe the KR is one of the 2% of cars manufactured that will gain in value in the future, not sure about the Ferrari because I don't have production numbers or demand, but I would not want the costs associated with repairing or maintaining the Ferrari. When I bought my 08KR, I bought the 7 year warranty with it and don't have to worry about repairs for awhile, and when I do I know the parts won't cost anywhere near what it would cost to repair the Ferrari. The KR is a blast to drive! I don't believe you can drive it without worrying completely though. I do worry about mine and don't like to leave it out in a parking lot for a long period of time. I like to keep my eye on it most of the time when I'm out.

Well, good luck and let us know which way you decide! Maybe someone on the forum who wants to trade can talk with you?

Why will the Ferrari hold its value better, what data are you guys basing this comment on? The modern ones are not like the old ones, a tranny is 40k. And you need a 15k laptop and a yearly 2k hookup fee to repair it. It is stellar how much service and parts cost on these cars...

A really close friend of mine is a certified Ferrari wrench, its brutal, and the reason why I do not have one, even with him to fix it for free...$1500 distributor caps is BS.

I say get the KR, if you gotta sell one. You had the Ferrari try a KR you can always find another Ferrari.

Or go superbad and get a Ford GT.

Or if ya dig the sounds and the rpms...get a Superbike and the KR. Motorcycles are small.

+1 on the idea sell the Ferrari and get a Ford GT

If you are a people person and like people, buy the KR. Ferrari owners are nice, but a bit unusual and in general quite stand-offish to owners of other exotics and muscle cars, at least in So Cal anyway.

I've attended 100's of car gatherings and have always found that Ferrari owners keep to themselves and some (not all) just dismiss you because you don't own a Ferrari and just don't understand the marque, but the're wrong about that. Some won't even acknowledge Lambo owners either because they consider Lambo's "lesser" than Ferrari's.

With a KR, you will meet great and interesting people that own both original and late model Shelby's, and complete strangers will just want to ask questions and talk about your Shelby at gas stations, car to car at a traffic light, and almost everywhere else too.

Shelby ownership will bring you into a family type environment where other Shelby owners will go out of their way to help and support you any way they can, and that can also be said about any Mustang owner too.

Okay, having said all that and being a Ford/Shelby fanatic since I was a young lad, if you really can't live with the idea of selling your 360 and leaving the Ferrari community completely, then I would sell the 360 and buy one of these sweet baby's...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=765374

I am not generally a fan of Ferrari (but I don't hate them either), but I know beauty when I see it, and this F'in car is F'in breathtaking IMO. That car was no doubt designed by an extreemly horny :drool: Italian designer. He HAD to be thinking about post-4213-1260076178.gif when he came up with that body design. :hysterical:

post-4213-1260076178.gif

You know what? I didn't take into account the maintenance fees associated with the Ferrari. If those costs are "much" for you, then sell the car. It's a real beauty, that's for sure.

One of these days i'll get a ride in a Ferrari.

You're going to take a huge hit on the 360, that was a mass-produced Ferrari and can be had for $60,000. Selling it won't be smart but the service bills are huge so if you're afraid to drive it I would say get rid of it.

I would skip on the KR and get a low miles 07-09 GT500 for mid 30's and spend the other 50k on a used Porsche 993 Twin Turbo.

If you're looking for a tough semi-exotic type vehicle i'm going to suggest a Porsche 911 - it's rugged and will last you forever and it's actually built for the track. Also miles won't depreciate the value like they do in the Ferrari.

You're going to take a huge hit on the 360, that was a mass-produced Ferrari and can be had for $60,000. Selling it won't be smart but the service bills are huge so if you're afraid to drive it I would say get rid of it.

I would skip on the KR and get a low miles 07-09 GT500 for mid 30's and spend the other 50k on a used Porsche 993 Twin Turbo.

If you're looking for a tough semi-exotic type vehicle i'm going to suggest a Porsche 911 - it's rugged and will last you forever and it's actually built for the track. Also miles won't depreciate the value like they do in the Ferrari.

I thought about going back to a 911 - I had a 993 cab, 996 C4 cab, and a used GT2 came in a close second when I bought the 360. They proved to be extremely reliable cars with suprisingly low maintenance costs. The German engineering is so exacting that, to me, they almost seemed to drive themselves. That is why I went for the 360 - I liked the driving experience it offered and the fact that you rarely saw them on the road.

The 360 has been very reliable and is less expensive to maintain than previous Ferraris, but there is nothing is cheap about going to a Ferrari dealer for service (which I always have). It is something I have always done as it is what I would look for when buying a used Ferrari - you don't want one without a history. It can make a big difference in value of the car.

Now that I am finding new KR's at sub 60K, I am tempted. It isn't seen often, it has a history behind it, and it is easier (not to mention cheaper) to find a qualified tech. If I can get a semi-fair price (or a trade) for the 360 I will sell and pick up a KR. It looks like someone may get a great deal on a babied 360.

Archived