TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is in store for 2008 Shelby GT500 owners

1970boss302

Hey, the dealers in California are telling us they are only building the GT500 for 2007. There would be no reason to lie as we all have ours already. Any more news out there about this?

The GT500 is a 2 year model run. Nothing proves that this is false....yet.

I wonder what problem they were trying to correct ?

Perhaps someone can go to the Ford parts department and look at a few of the suspension pieces...ask for part numbers...and see if they ask you "was your car built before or after 12/2?"

Ask about shocks, sway bar bushings, and other such components.

The GT500 is a 2 year model run. Nothing proves that this is false....yet.

Everything I read for the 12 months prior to my cars arrival (August 28th) said three years. Never even heard the two year run, ever. Spoke with the owner of a Ford dealership just today and he verified 2007 only and also mentioned it was always that way. A dealer in the Bay Area also says the same thing. Ahhh, the mystery of it all!

Everything I read for the 12 months prior to my cars arrival (August 28th) said three years. Never even heard the two year run, ever. Spoke with the owner of a Ford dealership just today and he verified 2007 only and also mentioned it was always that way. A dealer in the Bay Area also says the same thing. Ahhh, the mystery of it all!

The 3rd year was optional and not a done deal with Carrol Shelby. Carrol signed a 2 year deal with Ford.

Perhaps someone can go to the Ford parts department and look at a few of the suspension pieces...ask for part numbers...and see if they ask you "was your car built before or after 12/2?"

Ask about shocks, sway bar bushings, and other such components.

dave, pretty sure job 2 was 12/5.

job 2= damper & NAV

approx a dozen MUSTANGS were built with NAV prior to middle of December. not sure if a test run or of exact models.

My Shelby WILL have the touch screen DVD based Nav system (built by panasonic) scheduled build is....1/1/07.. in production/bucked before shutdown. should know in next few days of build and delivery.

If no problems with production I expect car very soon.

Guys, I just got an E-Mail from The NW Reg. Zone Rep. in regards to Job #2 changes. Here is the e-mail.

Rob -

Per the Shelby Marketing Manager in Detroit --- despite speculation and confusion given the intro of Shelby GT, the only Job 2 change to GT500 is a very subtle adjustment to the dampers.........providing slightly more damping at speed. ~ that's it. Hope this helps.

Mrs. Zone Rep.

Zone Manager

Ford Lincoln Mercury Sales Operations

Mtn West Market, NW Region

You are Correct!

Tim

Thats pretty much what i have heard through my Ford connections.

Ford and Shelby agreed to a 2 year run and thats it. Ford now might want a longer run but not sure if Carroll Shelby will allow it.

Everything I have heard including from SVT is a 2 year run.

dond

Guys, I just got an E-Mail from The NW Reg. Zone Rep. in regards to Job #2 changes. Here is the e-mail.

Rob -

Per the Shelby Marketing Manager in Detroit --- despite speculation and confusion given the intro of Shelby GT, the only Job 2 change to GT500 is a very subtle adjustment to the dampers.........providing slightly more damping at speed. ~ that's it. Hope this helps.

Mrs. Zone Rep.

Zone Manager

By dampers I assume they mean shocks? Or struts in case it's the front. Is it front or rear? Do I ask enough questions? (I'm doing my Rob imitation :hysterical: ).

Dave

If you are lucky enough to find a dealership to order you an 08 at a decent price, do they usually require a non refundable deposit of a certain amount? Is the amount and whether it is refundable entirely up to that particular dealer? How do you stop them from selling it to someone else that offers them more?

thanks guys/gals

By dampers I assume they mean shocks? Or struts in case it's the front. Is it front or rear? Do I ask enough questions? (I'm doing my Rob imitation :hysterical: ).

Dave

Dave,

My Rep is checking on your questions. I will let you know soon.

Rob

If you are lucky enough to find a dealership to order you an 08 at a decent price, do they usually require a non refundable deposit of a certain amount? Is the amount and whether it is refundable entirely up to that particular dealer? How do you stop them from selling it to someone else that offers them more?

thanks guys/gals

I've had it done both ways, so yes it depends. However, to me there's little reason to even leave a check if they are not going to cash it.

As far as stopping them from selling it, that's easy. You write up the sales agreement in such a way to protect yourself. For example, "John Doe's $5,000 deposit is non-refundable and guarantees John the first GT500 that we get for the 2008 model year." Under no circumstances will the dealer be allowed to transfer this first vehicle to another buyer."

If you are really worried, you can have a lawyer draft a contract...but that might be overkill. Also remember that the dealer may want some wording to protect themselves. For example, if they end up not getting ANY '08 cars...you may want not only your check back, but also damages or at least interest. They may want to state that if they can't get a car...all you get is your $5,000 back.

One key thing...get the sales MANAGER to sign it...not just a sales person. The sales MANAGER is an agent of the dealership and their promise is binding. I think it's also good to have the contract on the dealership form...rather than a stray piece of white paper.

Five Oh or Isellford...chime in here and add any other details.

Dave

Rob -

Mrs. Zone Rep.

Zone Manager

I just recieved some more information from my Zone Rep on the job #2 suspension tweak.I asked if the shocks were being switched ? Here is the e-mail I just recieved:

Rob -

Sorry for the delay. Just got the answer - it is front and rear shock tuning.

Zone Manager

Ph: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx

I just recieved some more information from my Zone Rep on the job #2 suspension tweak.I asked if the shocks were being switched ? Here is the e-mail I just recieved:

Rob -

Zone Manager

Ph: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx

So, what does "shock tuning" mean? Are they putting different shocks on, or are we taling something like a bushing upgrade?

So, what does "shock tuning" mean? Are they putting different shocks on, or are we taling something like a bushing upgrade?

Rick, I asked that specific question and that is the reply I got from the zone rep. I will try to call her after lunch and find out more. She is real nice but might not understand my questions.

This is the e-mail I sent her last week:

Are they doing this to the front and rear, and is it being done with different bushings or shocks ? or both?

Thanks,

Rob

This is the reply:

Rob -

Pretzel,

I just got some more info on the susp. for Job #2 GT500's. Heres the e-mail of the question I asked and what my zone rep had to say:

My Question.

Sorry to be a pain, but does this mean different shocks than what was used for job#1 cars?

Reply from zone rep.

From what I was told - no.

Pretzel,

I just got some more info on the susp. for Job #2 GT500's. Heres the e-mail of the question I asked and what my zone rep had to say:

My Question.

Sorry to be a pain, but does this mean different shocks than what was used for job#1 cars?

Reply from zone rep.

Thanks, Rob. Now I guess since the shocks are the same the next question is, what is involved in "tuning" the shocks?

Pretzel,

My Question.

Reply from zone rep.

This can get very dicey and into a lot of semantics. I have worked at an assembly plant (not cars, but close enough), so I have some thoughts.

When the engineers want to make a change, there are several options. One is to "supercede" the p/n being used. In other words, let's say a casting is working fine, but due to a new air conditioner mount they need a new boss casted into the part. In this case they likely would create a new part number, and since the new part would work on any car made previously, they would simply supercede the old p/n...it would no longer be available. Let's say the original p/n from Ford was 34939003. The new p/n may be a different number, say 34939102.

Now let's take another example. Say a piston had a microfinish of 40 microns at 60 degrees from the top face. Let's say the engineers decided that oil consumption could be decreased by simply adjusting the microfinish to 35 microns (I'm making all this up...so don't assume that changing surface finish of a piston will affect oil consumption...it won't). In that case, they may elect to keep the same p/n and just change the print to reflect the new surface finish requirement.

There are many other examples....not just these two. However, it could be something with the shock where they use a different hydraulic liquid or gas pressure in the shocks to modify the damping, and keep the same p/n. Therefore, when you ask if it's the same shock, they say "yes"....because the p/n may be the same.

I'm not clear on all the rules around when you'd create a new p/n vs. when you'd keep the old one...perhaps some engineers can post on how they do this....or I could ask some people at work...although that may take time since engineers don't like talking to finance people. :redcard:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
How about a quick Summary of whats in store for Job 2 2007 and 2008 GT500s. That way we dont go back and forth between different topics and threads. Thanks

Alex (I was titled QUESTION BOY lol)

Alex,

2007 Job #2 had some tweaking on all 4 shocks with a re-tune. A Nav system is available....and I think that is it.

2008 - Is a top secret mission for Robert Lane to crack. :hysterical:

Alex,

2007 Job #2 had some tweaking on all 4 shocks with a re-tune. A Nav system is available....and I think that is it.

2008 - Is a top secret mission for Robert Lane to crack. :hysterical:

Well hopefully he is cracking the code right now! Are there at least estimated production dates?

Well hopefully he is cracking the code right now! Are there at least estimated production dates?

Last week Ralph told me that the 2007's would run to Mid May or tail end of May. I would assume that the 2008's would start in June.

Archived