TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Good Year Eagle F1 Supercar Tires

wickedstangs

I went to the the dealership to get my first complimentary oil change 5000 miles and get told I am going to need new rear tires:( Dang I do get on a bit but, not as much as useto on my 04 cobra and those tires last more than 5000 miles:) Tires might be over inflated due to it wearing in the middle more than the outside he said...

What is the life expectancy of these tires? And what tire are you guys changing too?

Thanks for all the good info on the site.

You should get more than 5,000 miles out of them. I cannot imagine getting less than 15,000 unless you smoke them or track them.

I went TO the Supercar tires from BF Goodrich that come stock on the SGT and I prefer them. They have a good balance of traction and durability. Not at all good, however, in the cold weather.

Jim

What is the life expectancy of these tires? And what tire are you guys changing too?

I changed all four tires at at 20,000 KM (about 12.5 k miles) because the belt was starting to show through on my front driver side tire (inner) due to an improper factory alignment (my rear tires where showing signs of excessive wear down the centre as well). Otherwise the tires could have lasted till about 30,000 km (about 18.6 k miles). At that time I took the opportunity to up-grade to Michelin Pilot Sports (not PS2's) in stock sizes and could not be happier (until my future blower up-grades force me to go wider in the back).

Dude, please replace those shitty tires with BFG KDW2's. They are half the price and far superior in terms of traction. Not sure about the miles they get before warn, but in your case it wouldnt seem to matter if you like making smoke. Trust me, the F1 supercars are not even close to being what a tire should be to go on a "supercar"....

Dude, please replace those shitty tires with BFG KDW2's. They are half the price and far superior in terms of traction. Not sure about the miles they get before warn, but in your case it wouldnt seem to matter if you like making smoke. Trust me, the F1 supercars are not even close to being what a tire should be to go on a "supercar"....

What`s your take on the BFG`s??????

Tire Rack has the stock Goodyears for $548 a set plus shipping. Their tire search for GT500 returns the KR version at $1310 a set. Select sizes and prices from the overview to find the OE version. I paid $740 with shipping, mounting and balancing.

The center was gone on my rear tires at 15K. 9.5" is the minimum recommended rim width for the 285/40 so the factory 35 psi may be too high for even tread wear. I'm trying 33 psi in the rear with the new set.

If you're still looking for peoples take on them, I've gone through 2 sets now on the back of my 2008. I have about 33k miles on it. Still on the original front tires.

Honestly it all depends on how you drive and your prefs. I have replaced them each time with the Eagle F1s, Also there is a difference in the goodyears. I don't know much but I do know that the GT500KR has the "same tire" but its a different compound and about 50% more $$ wise. Not sure though on how those handle.

After this current set is toast front and back I will be trying a different tire setup.

It all comes down to your driving style. No two people will wear tires the same. No two people drive the same. That being said try some different tires this time and see what happens.

I went to the the dealership to get my first complimentary oil change 5000 miles and get told I am going to need new rear tires:( Dang I do get on a bit but, not as much as useto on my 04 cobra and those tires last more than 5000 miles:) Tires might be over inflated due to it wearing in the middle more than the outside he said...

I burnt mine up at the track!! :shift: :happy feet: I did some great burn outs on about a dozen runs. I made it to about 6000 miles when I dropped it off at SAI for conversion. I knew I was getting a new set with the SS package so Iwasn't worried about burning up the stock Goodyears! :hysterical: There is a bit of tread left, but not much.

Cheers

Brett

Stock tires are completely pointless, though they get a bit more grip when they are almost completely bald :-) I actually got a new pair for the rears and they almost killed me. Now I have Toyo RA1s and the F1s are sitting in the garage on the stock wheels. If you must get F1s at least get the KR versions as they are stickier. (just). I changed my rears at 12k.

I simply cannot fathom anyone skimping on tires for this car. Its a $45000, 4000lb behemoth with a 5.4 liter 500bhp engine (stock!). The only thing keeping you going where you want to go is the rubber between the car and the road. You can spend $1300 on some freakin tires! That bought me 4 sets of competition 100 wear 305/35R18 tires. It'll get you a set of Michelin Pilot Sports in stock sizes.

BTW, the reason I chose the Toyos is because thats what the big cars run in American Iron. Not little girlie 2000lb porsches.

post-2868-1259978961_thumb.jpg

Pardon the filth and wet. But note the KDWs. Stock sizes.

They're good.

bj

I am planning on the kdw 2's for my next set but was going to try going with a lil shorter tire up front. The 255/40/18 vs the factory 255/45/18

The difference is 1"

Factory is 27" all around and I was going to keep factory 285/40/18 at 27" out back but go to a 26" up front to give me some more rake in my stance and to get rid of that odd really tall front tire look you get up front from the factory.

Your thoughts?

Archived