TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT and SCCA Touring, Solo class

:shift: The 2009 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog (page 20) discusses the various "competition" Mustangs that race in numerous forms of racing from SCCA to GT-4, FIA GT-3, etc. In the SCCA section it mentions how the Ford Racing Handling Pack and Power Pack was first used on the Shelby GTs thus making this "option" legal to use on any Mustang GT that wants to compete in SCCA Touring Classes and Solo. The Shelby GT was used to homologate these parts the same way the 1965 Shelby GT-350 Mustang was used to legalize modifications that made the GT-350 the reigning SCCA B-Production champion for many years. Interesting facts that show how a limited production car like the SGT, re-manufactured at a Shelby facililty, still lives in the great Shelby racing :shift: legacy.

Yes, I agree with Ken that this is very good info for SGT owners to know. It's certainly

part of the appeal of this car that traces its roots back to the first Shelby Mustangs.

However, I must clarify some points about the SGT in SCCA Touring and Solo racing.

The SGT parts that any Mustang GT could use to run in Touring T2 class can only be

used for Solo Street Prepared class, not Stock. It is in F Stock that the SGT has had

much success the past three years. For E Street Prepared, the homologation rules

allow you to do more than before for Mustang GTs, but to date there has not been

success at that level... primarily because of the number of other brands it must compete

against (like certain turbo AWD cars). The same could be said about Touring T2 racing.

This is probably TMI or old news for some of you, but it's best to know all the facts

when we brag about our cars. It is the car with the right driver (Strano) that won the

"triple crown" of SCCA Solo Racing this year. For more info about that including cool

vids, check out:

Strano Solo 2009 Wrap Up

-Tom

Yes, I agree with Ken that this is very good info for SGT owners to know. It's certainly

part of the appeal of this car that traces its roots back to the first Shelby Mustangs.

However, I must clarify some points about the SGT in SCCA Touring and Solo racing.

The SGT parts that any Mustang GT could use to run in Touring T2 class can only be

used for Solo Street Prepared class, not Stock. It is in F Stock that the SGT has had

much success the past three years. For E Street Prepared, the homologation rules

allow you to do more than before for Mustang GTs, but to date there has not been

success at that level... primarily because of the number of other brands it must compete

against (like certain turbo AWD cars). The same could be said about Touring T2 racing.

This is probably TMI or old news for some of you, but it's best to know all the facts

when we brag about our cars. It is the car with the right driver (Strano) that won the

"triple crown" of SCCA Solo Racing this year. For more info about that including cool

vids, check out:

Strano Solo 2009 Wrap Up

-Tom

Thanks for the link, funny how Sam is all over the Bullitt Forum (IMBOC) but owns a Shelby... All this time I thought he owned and ran a Bullitt.. :headscratch:

Archived