TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cobra found on Pawn Stars

JeffJ

Did any body else see last nights episode of Pawn Stars on the history channel? A tow yard guy brought in a chassis and body of a Cobra that he was paid to take from a storage unit in Vegas. They verified that it was a CSX numbered car, but they did not show the numbers after the CSX. I would imagine that it was a continuation car since they valued it at around $60K for the body and chassis. Anybody have any more info on it? They had the shop out there in Vegas complete the car. Looks like their total investment was in the $120K range on a complete Cobra.

From what I could tell it was a continuation car still on the shipping pallet. It would be neat to learn the CSX number so SAI could see if it was orginally a retail sale or perhaps it slipped out the back door?

Just to clarify it was Nevada Classics that did the work and not Shelby Auto's. I'm not sure I agree with Nevada Classics appraisal of $160k though. And Nevada Classics really lost me when they said they didn't put in leather seats to keep the cost down. C'mon how much more can leather cost over simulated leather on two small seats? That keep the costs down?

We also have to keep in mind that this is a TV show. First off when someone doesn't pay their storage rental fees the storage place must try to contact the renter and then take an inventory of the unit.

They usually then have to advertise the renters default in a local paper saying the stuff will be auctioned off. And there is the key words, auction off. Storage places hold auctions for possessions not claimed. So I'm not convinced that this was just a tow truck driver that got a call from a storage place to tow a car. Technically is it even classified as a car at that stage.

Still was an interesting part of the show. Would have loved for it to be dragged over to Shelby Auto's for Roger to verify. Can you imagine watching AmyB and GaryD tag teaming the tow truck driver on the who, what, where on this car.

Steve

From what I could tell it was a continuation car still on the shipping pallet. It would be neat to learn the CSX number so SAI could see if it was orginally a retail sale or perhaps it slipped out the back door?

Just to clarify it was Nevada Classics that did the work and not Shelby Auto's. I'm not sure I agree with Nevada Classics appraisal of $160k though. And Nevada Classics really lost me when they said they didn't put in leather seats to keep the cost down. C'mon how much more can leather cost over simulated leather on two small seats? That keep the costs down?

We also have to keep in mind that this is a TV show. First off when someone doesn't pay their storage rental fees the storage place must try to contact the renter and then take an inventory of the unit.

They usually then have to advertise the renters default in a local paper saying the stuff will be auctioned off. And there is the key words, auction off. Storage places hold auctions for possessions not claimed. So I'm not convinced that this was just a tow truck driver that got a call from a storage place to tow a car. Technically is it even classified as a car at that stage.

Still was an interesting part of the show. Would have loved for it to be dragged over to Shelby Auto's for Roger to verify. Can you imagine watching AmyB and GaryD tag teaming the tow truck driver on the who, what, where on this car.

Steve

I think that I have it recorded, I'll have to watch it again. I think the guy at Nevada Classics appraised it at $60K in it's chassis/body condition. I think that would be pretty close to accurate for a continuation car at that stage? Then the Pawn guys paid $30K for it. I think they were in it pretty good at that point. But I totally agree. Probably only a few hundered dollars difference on the leather vs not. I could see possibly putting another $50K in a quality completion, but $100K, that would be a bit out there. If they were in it for a total investment of $80K - 110K, they would probably be in pretty good shape. Not to make a ton, but to at least make money. I can't tell if this show is for real or if much of this stuff is set up.... I didn't understand why they just didn't bring it straight to Shelby for an "expert" appraisal. Just down the street....

Which guy?

Steve

The guy selling it! I watched that episode and then I had to hear about it all day from the family. He originally wanted $1,500 just for a clone, then he took $35,000 because found out it was the real deal? The buyer told him what it was and how it was worth so much more and he still sold it for $35,000! :censored: :censored:

Such a great steal for the pawn shop owners!

What bothered me the most was the use of the words "real" and "authentic" by all parties involved alluding to a 1965 chassis. They should have been adding the word continuation but after viewing the program again I suspect the writers, yes the show Pawn Stars has script writers, were not car savvy one bit and the final script showed that. The use of the words "Shelby Race Car" over and over in the script is another example.

The other item that leads me to believe this story was more entertainment then reality is the tow truck that the seller used to bring his "storage find" to the Pawn shop is owned by the company that did the final build on the continuation Cobra.

So in my opinion what we all viewed was some televison entertainment on one of our favorite things, the Shelby Cobra, with a plug for a Nevada business that deals with restoration and continuation cars. Nothing wrong with that but the term reality TV is overused in such a broad sense but something to keep in mind.

Steve

What bothered me the most was the use of the words "real" and "authentic" by all parties involved alluding to a 1965 chassis. They should have been adding the word continuation but after viewing the program again I suspect the writers, yes the show Pawn Stars has script writers, were not car savvy one bit and the final script showed that. The use of the words "Shelby Race Car" over and over in the script is another example.

The other item that leads me to believe this story was more entertainment then reality is the tow truck that the seller used to bring his "storage find" to the Pawn shop is owned by the company that did the final build on the continuation Cobra.

So in my opinion what we all viewed was some televison entertainment on one of our favorite things, the Shelby Cobra, with a plug for a Nevada business that deals with restoration and continuation cars. Nothing wrong with that but the term reality TV is overused in such a broad sense but something to keep in mind.

Steve

Very true...

I should have taking that into consideration.

The suspension pieces looked aweful modern, and the hood scoop taped on was icing on the cake. The constant reference to it as a '65 Shelby Cobra was only second to the 'expert' telling everyone how the body was original and made in America!?! The price if it was original was not even close, and if it's a continuation car (which I suspect as everyone here does) that it is then the question begs...how did it get there???

The final kicker for me was Carrolls signature on the passenger side of the dash. You have to look quickly, but it was there.

Wonder where the car is now?

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

How do you know that?

Is it on the side of the truck?

Archived