TEAM SHELBY FORUM

exhaust choice

I'm ready to buy my new exhaust and have narrowed it down to two choices. Any input on the two is much appreciated.

JBA long tubes - 1 5/8" primary x 2 1/2" collector - stainless steel with titanium ceramic coating

JBA off-road H-pipe - 2 1/2" inlet x 2 1/2" outlet

jba-6675sjt_w.jpgjba-6675sh_w.jpg

or

Kooks long tubes - 1 3/4" primary x 3" collector - stainless steel (coating unknown)

Kooks off-road X-pipe - 3" inlet x 2 1/2" outlet

KOO-6022-134_MED.jpgKOO-6024-OX-3_MED.jpg

There is nearly no price difference between the two. The JBA's would ship out of Summit and be here by Tuesday at the latest.

The Kooks would ship out of Lethal and be here in a week or more. Other than that, I guess it comes down to brand, header size, and H vs X.

Ken

EDIT: I've also considered cutting my original x-pipe and re-using it with either set of headers.

I just added JBA Ceramic Shorties and a JBA Axel back with 4" tips. The fit and finish is excellent. The sound is really good. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good Luck.

I just sold my JBA shortys and was impressed with the fit and finish of those as well.

Testing Seven Long-Tube Header Systems For S197 'Stangs

http://50mustangsuperfords.automotive.com/...hooker-jba.html

This is perfect man, thanks a lot for digging this up for me. Looks like the Kooks and Mac headers are neck and neck at the top.

The gains are phenomenal above 6k RPM!

^ Thanks again for the links. Very good info to have. Looks like I'll be ordering the Kooks from Lethal. :)

Ken,

I know very little compared to the rest here, but if long tubes were in my dreams they would be Kooks.

Lg

Looks like I'll be ordering the Kooks from Lethal. :)

Ken

Are these long tubes going to be able to pass emissions? I've heard that long tube headers don't. Would love to do headers, but I wouldn't want to take them off to pass emissions. So whats your take on this?

PS. Can't wait to see the car in Vegas. So put the hustle on it. :hysterical:

^ Hey man I'm working as fast as I can here! :lol:

As for the headers, you're right, they won't pass smog (especially since I'll be running cat-less). The only headers that are CARB friendly are the factory manifolds and shorty style headers (like the JBA's that I just sold to Jim).

If my car is still a street car by the time smog is due (about 4 years from now), then I'll just have to hope that my smog guy is still able to work his magic. If it's a track only car by then, I've got no worries.

My only concern between then and now is a random inspection of any sort. That would cause me a tremendous headache.

Ken

^ Thanks. I'm sold. Just ordered the Kooks long tubes with 3" collector, plus the Kooks off-road x-pipe (3"x2 1/2"), both with the JetHot 1700* sterling silver coating.

I ended up ordering from a shop called Maryland Speed. They came recommended by another guy on TS and had the best deal on the Kooks stuff, including free freight within the lower 48.

I'll get photos up once this stuff arrives. Thanks again for all the input.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

The x-pipe arrived today. The headers are scheduled to arrive December 16th.

However, they coated and shipped 2 right side down pipes for the x-pipe. I've emailed requesting that a left side pipe be sent out asap.

I'll get pics up tomorrow. The coating is really a whole lot nicer than I expected.

Ken

^ I thought that was only an option on the V6 cars?

Available for both V6 and V8 at SPP...

Now, where was that link...hmmm...oh, right here: http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem/101877%20Terlingua%20Exhaust%20By%20Borla.aspx

Sam

By all appearances, it attaches after the x-pipe. I was reading in the QA with Amy forum and that's what it sounds like. Only drawback is that it's very low according to a couple of folks.

I'm on the fence with this one, but it does look great and reminds me of the GT350 of old!

Sam

I'll have to look into this a bit. I like the look a lot. Just have a few questions, 1) does kit include block off plates for rear fascia, 2) are rocker panel plates included, and 3) is there any issue attaching to aftermarket x-pipe? I'd want to bypass the muffler completely, so I also wonder if Borla would sell just the side pipes themselves, sans muffler.

Ken

Nope, no block off plates for rear fascia - Bummer, guess you'd have to fashion your own.

According to what I've read, no heat shields for the rocker panels either. Someone wrote that they made their own, but never installed them after they discovered that it wasn't an issue.

I guess if the pipe diameter was the same as aftermarket pipes, that wouldn't be to much of a problem welding or coupling them together.

Jeez, one mod leads to another!

Sam

Archived