TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Owners 725 Option

Kenne Bell specifies a colder spark range and mentions NGK TR6 and Denso Spark Plugs in the installation guideline. I mentioned TR6 IX or Iridiums as this is what I use. If I made a confusing statement the KB specifies the TR6 Iridium spark plug I apologize. However, they do clearly indicate that they like the gap at .032 in the installation instructions.

Thanks Van, I am just to the point of needing the exact gap for my new plugs, .032 it is. So what advantage(s) are there with Iridiums vs. non-Iridiums? I can clearly see a difference in them (as shown below), but tell me/us more....

Picture1655-2.jpg

Picture1657-1.jpg

Picture1660.jpg

R

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will check my plugs this week, although, after reading the previous posts, a little nervous.

I am hoping I see "NGK-6"!!! I do not recall plugs in the TO parts. Uh-Oh.

Not to jump the gun here, but would SAI be liable? KB does specifically state a colder plug. Or, should due diligence been a part of all of our's responsibility?

When I picked the SS up, I surely didn't think of asking, "Hey guys, did you put in my NGK-6's"?

Or, "Did you leave my stock plugs in?"

In all the confusion, I forgot myself.

Kenne Bell specifies a colder spark range and mentions NGK TR6 and Denso Spark Plugs in the installation guideline. I mentioned TR6 IX or Iridiums as this is what I use. If I made a confusing statement the KB specifies the TR6 Iridium spark plug I apologize. However, they do clearly indicate that they like the gap at .032 in the installation instructions.

Van - One other question about the gap. I see .032 in your post above, but it appears that you say .035 in post #8 where you quote the KB install instructions......

It may have been me, who was in error about the Iridiums.

SAI installed NGK TR6 U-Grooves in my Super Snake, which after re-reading your post #8, they (SAI) installed the exact plugs they were supposed to install.

R

Van - One other question about the gap. I see .032 in your post above, but it appears that you say .035 in post #8 where you quote the KB install instructions......

It may have been me, who was in error about the Iridiums.

SAI installed NGK TR6 U-Grooves in my Super Snake, which after re-reading your post #8, they (SAI) installed the exact plugs they were supposed to install.

R

Oops. My bad. Yes, it is .035, I had a little typo there.

For the record, I brought this issue to light for informational purposes and to HELP owners of SS's out. (call it a TSB if you will) Is Ford Liable to SS owners or any GT500 owner? No. But I am sure someone with a liablity background would disagree. Suddenly there is all of this Liability B.S. getting thrown around and smeared and it makes me freakin' sick.

May I simply suggest everybody enjoy their cars after they check their plugs?

I bought under octaned fuel this weekend and burned the #2 and #5 pistons at 190+ MPH flying around Daytona. I'm not bitching and I'm not looking for who's liable. It's my car, it's in my possession and I should have checked the fuel octane before use? Maybe or maybe not.

Don't get sideways with liability in this thread. The car is in your possession double check it and make sure. An ounce of prevention............

All I was trying to do was help and it appears that I have helped some of you. That's the bright side. Just check your plugs like the other guys and then smile and realize that all is good and enjoy your rides.

Van

For the record, I brought this issue to light for informational purposes and to HELP owners of SS's out. (call it a TSB if you will) Is Ford Liable to SS owners or any GT500 owner? No. But I am sure someone with a liablity background would disagree. Suddenly there is all of this Liability B.S. getting thrown around and smeared and it makes me freakin' sick.

I bought under octaned fuel this weekend and burned the #2 and #5 pistons at 190+ MPH flying around Daytona. I'm not bitching and I'm not looking for who's liable. It's my car, it's in my possession and I should have checked the fuel octane before use? Maybe or maybe not.

Don't get sideways with liability in this thread. The car is in your possession double check it and make sure. An ounce of prevention............

All I was trying to do was help and it appears that I have helped some of you. That's the bright side. Just check your plugs like the other guys and then smile and realize that all is good and enjoy your rides.

Van

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help on this Van. My car is the 605 package with the TVS but I've had the smaller pulley put on so I'm going to put the TR6 Iridium plugs in as well. I don't think it will hurt anything. Do you think the tune should be checked with the plug change? My tune is set up for 91 octane so I didn't think it would be a problem. Happy New Year!

Don

Van

Ford probably has no responsibility in this at all. The SS is an SAI post-retail build -- it's not a Ford product offering -- so it would seem SAI would be on the hook if there were any problems resulting from not replacing the plugs with the right ones as part of the SS build. Has it caused any problems? Dunno. KB might have more insight on that as SAI's supplier and developer of the 2.8 stage-3 kit.

This is by no means an attempt to defame Quantum Performance. They are a Shelby Mod Shop. That says a lot.

While at the Texas Mile I met an unfortunate gentleman who blew his motor. He had a 725 Super Snake. He was running stock Motorcraft plugs. He was also running a lot of boost.

Today I had the pleasure of working with a guy who just recently acquired a used 2007 Alloy Metallic Super Snake. He's had the car 2 days and called me in a panic because it was misfiring and popping. He drove up to see me. I had a brand new set of TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped tight at .030 ready to go. He told me the car was built at Quantum. Unfortunately I pulled the plugs and they were the factory plugs.

We replaced the plugs and the car ran completely different.

Maybe I've hit two needles in the proverbial haystack. Maybe I have not. Maybe it was just one tech who didn't realize that they were supposed to be replaced. It's unfortunate but to error is human.

If you have a Super Snake with a Kenne Bell Supercharger I would suggest that you make sure that you have the correct spark plugs installed. The Motorcraft Platinum's do not provide a cold enough spark.

I am simply trying to reach out and inform any SS owner to check their plugs. It could be the motor you save today.

this customer sounds like a real loser...

post-26660-126236665962_thumb.jpg

post-26660-126236665962_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help on this Van. My car is the 605 package with the TVS but I've had the smaller pulley put on so I'm going to put the TR6 Iridium plugs in as well. I don't think it will hurt anything. Do you think the tune should be checked with the plug change? My tune is set up for 91 octane so I didn't think it would be a problem. Happy New Year!

Don

As long as the plugs are gapped correctly and you will be fine. No Problem. Happy New Year. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

this customer sounds like a real loser...

Yeah, not only is he a real loser but he's a complete pain the ass too................

Nice to see you Marc. :hysterical:

As long as the plugs are gapped correctly and you will be fine. No Problem. Happy New Year. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

I gapped them at .035.

Good luck on your engine rebuild. It sounds like it's going to be a beast. One of these days I'm going to buy a second GT500 coupe and mod the hell out of it. Don't get me wrong, I love my SS but it's sort of "finished" once you SS it. I can see it's fun to continually change the setup of the cars.

Don

I gapped them at .035.

Good luck on your engine rebuild. It sounds like it's going to be a beast. One of these days I'm going to buy a second GT500 coupe and mod the hell out of it. Don't get me wrong, I love my SS but it's sort of "finished" once you SS it. I can see it's fun to continually change the setup of the cars.

Don

There is no exterminator for the "Mod Bug" :hysterical:

I have had extensive work performed on 10 of my cars performed at Quantum. They cars range from older Musle Cars thru today's high performance cars. From original 1965 GT 350 thru 2010 GT 500. Have never had a quality of work issue, however have had a few cars in the shop longer than expected. If you want the joib done right, sometimes unforseen delays arise. This is a first class operation....but no one is perfect. :hysterical3:

Hey mirrorman......long time no see. Was wondering if you were still playing with cars as I heard you parted ways with several way cool cars after leaving Quantum. Good to see you are still playing and having fun. I see you have a 2010 GT500. Did you keep the 2007? Sure miss the good old days. Be well!

Gary

Hey mirrorman......long time no see. Was wondering if you were still playing with cars as I heard you parted ways with several way cool cars after leaving Quantum. Good to see you are still playing and having fun. I see you have a 2010 GT500. Did you keep the 2007? Sure miss the good old days. Be well!

Gary

Hey Gary, Sold several and purchased a few. Am now driving Grabber Blue 2010 GT 500, Black 2010 SS/RS Camaro, and Orange SRT 8 Challenger every 3rd day. Still have the '07 and love it, but like the '10 clutch setup much better. The newest Shelby is The ONE for sure!! Take care and will see you around. Jim :jackinbox:

Word to the wise gentlemen. On a STOCK regular GT500, if you even change the pulley you HAVE to change out the stock plugs for the TR6 plugs. Now you guys are talking about GT500 motors with a KB running way over 600 at the tire and they didnt change the plugs??? That is an explosion waiting to happen. They must have the tune on those SS's running super rich so they dont pop. CHANGE THE PLUGS!!

This is by no means an attempt to defame Quantum Performance. They are a Shelby Mod Shop. That says a lot.

While at the Texas Mile I met an unfortunate gentleman who blew his motor. He had a 725 Super Snake. He was running stock Motorcraft plugs. He was also running a lot of boost.

Today I had the pleasure of working with a guy who just recently acquired a used 2007 Alloy Metallic Super Snake. He's had the car 2 days and called me in a panic because it was misfiring and popping. He drove up to see me. I had a brand new set of TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped tight at .030 ready to go. He told me the car was built at Quantum. Unfortunately I pulled the plugs and they were the factory plugs.

We replaced the plugs and the car ran completely different.

Maybe I've hit two needles in the proverbial haystack. Maybe I have not. Maybe it was just one tech who didn't realize that they were supposed to be replaced. It's unfortunate but to error is human.

If you have a Super Snake with a Kenne Bell Supercharger I would suggest that you make sure that you have the correct spark plugs installed. The Motorcraft Platinum's do not provide a cold enough spark.

I am simply trying to reach out and inform any SS owner to check their plugs. It could be the motor you save today.

I find this interesting as Kennebell sends the sparkplugs with the blower, the problem arises when they finish the SS package and then they upgrade the tunes..... and change other items. We inspect every car, and when we do, they have the parts we approve. This is what comes with the kit.Kenne Belle—NGK – TR6 stock number 4177

This is why we always say, do not change the SS package. and make sure you use the right fuel

Amy

I find this interesting as Kennebell sends the sparkplugs with the blower, the problem arises when they finish the SS package and then they upgrade the tunes..... and cahnge other items. We inspect every car, and when we do, they have the parts we approve. This is what comes with the kit.Kenne Belle—NGK – TR6 stock number 4177

This is why we always say, do not change the SS package. and make sure you use the right fuel

Amy

we just got off the phone with Kenny at Quantum, he says they change all the plugs, I would really like to know why the gentlemen who blew his engine ddn't call us or Quantum, as Quantum has said they have not heard about any issues.

I just ran a check on every car here and all the right plugs are installed, Guys, if you do different tunes or changes after the SS is delivered, be careful who does the work and if you blow a plug, make sure they are replaced with the ones we supply.

And if anyone has anymore info on this, please send to me so I can check it out, I want to makae my guys as well as our mod shops are doing right by the customers

Amy

amyb@shelbyautos.com

we just got off the phone with Kenny at Quantum, he says they change all the plugs, I would really like to know why the gentlemen who blew his engine ddn't call us or Quantum, as Quantum has said they have not heard about any issues.

I just ran a check on every car here and all the right plugs are installed, Guys, if you do different tunes or changes after the SS is delivered, be careful who does the work and if you blow a plug, make sure they are replaced with the ones we supply.

And if anyone has anymore info on this, please send to me so I can check it out, I want to makae my guys as well as our mod shops are doing right by the customers

Amy

amyb@shelbyautos.com

My car definitely had the stock plugs in it when I got it back from SHM, I changed them myself to TR6

I have never had one problem with my '07 725 SS. I now have around 12500 miles on it and she runs perfectly. It is totally stock, right from SAI. I am in CA, so I add a container of NOZ octane enhancer with every fill. CA is max 91 octane with premium.

I have never had one problem with my '07 725 SS. I now have around 12500 miles on it and she runs perfectly. It is totally stock, right from SAI. I am in CA, so I add a container of NOZ octane enhancer with every fill. CA is max 91 octane with premium.

Only time you would have an issue is when you are running it REALLY hard, but I would change them. No way I would risk the motor for the cost of a set of plugs. There have been a few GT500 motors lost for this very reason. Check those plugs!!

• 2 weeks later...

Amy

amyb@shelbyautos.com

so what kind of plgs do I need? I got my car from sai and I have motorcraft plugs in. I'm glad i was checking here cause I was not notified of this problem. I wish shelby would sernd a letter to people to let them know to check thier plugs. now i gotta work on a car that i paid someone else to do.

so what kind of plgs do I need? I got my car from sai and I have motorcraft plugs in. I'm glad i was checking here cause I was not notified of this problem. I wish shelby would sernd a letter to people to let them know to check thier plugs. now i gotta work on a car that i paid someone else to do.

You need NGK TR-6 plugs. Your car is fine and changing plugs is about as easy as it gets when working on these cars. If you have the proper tools you can get it done in about an hour or less.

I originally brought this to the attention of Super Snake owners just as a cautionary measure. Have the plugs gapped at .035 and you'll be good to go.

Enjoy working on your car. That's what it's all about.

You need NGK TR-6 plugs. Your car is fine and changing plugs is about as easy as it gets when working on these cars. If you have the proper tools you can get it done in about an hour or less.

I originally brought this to the attention of Super Snake owners just as a cautionary measure. Have the plugs gapped at .035 and you'll be good to go.

Enjoy working on your car. That's what it's all about.

I hear you, Van... i enjoy working on my car. But this issue is different. we should not have to do this kind of work on our cars.... verifying proper installation of spark plugs. i understand that you have to be diplomatic on this website but i agree with Bob. This is an issue that we should not be involved in. If there are members who have had this issue there should be an official statement by SAI and a recommendation with instructions. SAI has not done well in addressing the concerns of their customers following sale of the SS in my opinion. They tend to ignore threads which bring up these issues while responding immediately to threads that are favorable to them or thier business. I appreciate that Amy commented above but she really did not clear anything up for us in this matter. other issues SAI stays completely away from (such as the traction issue). Its a shame because we are loyal customers and spend a big chunk of change on these cars.

Ron

I hear you, Van... i enjoy working on my car. But this issue is different. we should not have to do this kind of work on our cars.... verifying proper installation of spark plugs. i understand that you have to be diplomatic on this website but i agree with Bob. This is an issue that we should not be involved in. If there are members who have had this issue there should be an official statement by SAI and a recommendation with instructions. SAI has not done well in addressing the concerns of their customers following sale of the SS in my opinion. They tend to ignore threads which bring up these issues while responding immediately to threads that are favorable to them or thier business. I appreciate that Amy commented above but she really did not clear anything up for us in this matter. other issues SAI stays completely away from (such as the traction issue). Its a shame because we are loyal customers and spend a big chunk of change on these cars.

Ron

[/quote

+1

Archived