TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Owners 725 Option

This is by no means an attempt to defame Quantum Performance. They are a Shelby Mod Shop. That says a lot.

While at the Texas Mile I met an unfortunate gentleman who blew his motor. He had a 725 Super Snake. He was running stock Motorcraft plugs. He was also running a lot of boost.

Today I had the pleasure of working with a guy who just recently acquired a used 2007 Alloy Metallic Super Snake. He's had the car 2 days and called me in a panic because it was misfiring and popping. He drove up to see me. I had a brand new set of TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped tight at .030 ready to go. He told me the car was built at Quantum. Unfortunately I pulled the plugs and they were the factory plugs.

We replaced the plugs and the car ran completely different.

Maybe I've hit two needles in the proverbial haystack. Maybe I have not. Maybe it was just one tech who didn't realize that they were supposed to be replaced. It's unfortunate but to error is human.

If you have a Super Snake with a Kenne Bell Supercharger I would suggest that you make sure that you have the correct spark plugs installed. The Motorcraft Platinum's do not provide a cold enough spark.

I am simply trying to reach out and inform any SS owner to check their plugs. It could be the motor you save today.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello RR,

I too heard the NGK TR6 Iridium plugs were the route to go.

However gapped at .32?

I guess it is all dependent on the tuner, SC an HP options.

I have the new FRPP Procal TVS tune on my 2008 SS convertible @ 630HP performed @ SAI.

Thanks for your input & reply.

Hello RR,

I too heard the NGK TR6 Iridium plugs were the route to go.

However gapped at .32?

I guess it is all dependent on the tuner, SC an HP options.

I have the new FRPP Procal TVS tune on my 2008 SS convertible @ 630HP performed @ SAI.

Thanks for your input & reply.

I work with Jon Lund on all custom tunes. His preference is .030 on NGK TR6 Iridium Plugs. It works well for what we are doing.

Scary discussion.

Are shelby meant to replace the plugs when they do the conversion ?

I will have mine checked.

Cheers Van.

I am by no means trying to scare anybody. I just wanted everybody to be aware that I have found some abnormalities and in an effort to save any and everybody from the potential of future problems, check your plugs.

Cheers to all and you Jason!

Keep rocking down under!

I have never seen a spark plug change mentioned as part of an SS conversion or otherwise by SAI.

Says it right there in the Kenne Bell instruction manual.

Page 2 of Kenne Bell Installation Instructions.

Before Installation

3. Change your spark plugs BEFORE installing the supercharger kit! We highly recommend NGK-TR6 or Denso U-Groove Resistor type plug at least one heat range cooler. Colder plugs other than one heat range can cause idle stability issues and are not necessary. Gap the plugs at .035". Do not skip this or the engine can detonate! The stock plugs are too hot and can cause engine damaging detonation. Change the plugs before installing the supercharger kit!

It doesn't get much clearer than that!

Take a look at your invoice. They are on the parts listed for the Super Snake Package as a component - NGK-TR6 x8. Atleast if you had the work done at SAI in Las Vegas.

Had mine done at SHM, my plugs were not changed either. I put a set of NGK-TR6 in myself, seams a little odd that only SAI is doing the change

Take a look at your invoice. They are on the parts listed for the Super Snake Package as a component - NGK-TR6 x8. Atleast if you had the work done at SAI in Las Vegas.

The SAI build sheet for my car does not include a spark plug changeout. I'll try and pull a plug tomorrow and check it out but I suspect mine has the original motorcraft plugs in it . Mine is a 725 HP build done at SAI; finished in August, 2008. You get to learn something new on the forum everyday....

GT

My take on this thread is that anyone installing superchargers for a living should have the sense to change the plugs to the recommended heat range. Shame on the ones that didn't, no mater who they are!!!! Sounds very negligent to me.

I'm not an expert on the newer motors, but I've read enough about blowers to know that the plugs need to be colder than stock to prevent detonation and engine damage or failure.

Is a plug change to NGK-TR6 recommended for the ford racing super charger, 605 HP as well

I would think a plug change would be in order, IMHO. Even when I put a 2.6 pulley on my stock supercharger the added boost didn't require a colder spark but I did it anyway for efficiency.

If you have a 605 option at that power level, I believe it would be wise to have a colder plug. It isn't going to hurt anything.

Van is correct. NGK TR6 part # 4177 are even recommended for a 2.6 pulley upgrade on the stock supercharger. How a "shop" would send a KB car out the door without them is to say the least, scary! I think a mass email should be generated for all those good customers that ponied up for the SS package, and let them be aware of the potential problem. Especially since these are the guys that 86ed their warranties!

This is by no means an attempt to defame Quantum Performance. They are a Shelby Mod Shop. That says a lot.

While at the Texas Mile I met an unfortunate gentleman who blew his motor. He had a 725 Super Snake. He was running stock Motorcraft plugs. He was also running a lot of boost.

Today I had the pleasure of working with a guy who just recently acquired a used 2007 Alloy Metallic Super Snake. He's had the car 2 days and called me in a panic because it was misfiring and popping. He drove up to see me. I had a brand new set of TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped tight at .030 ready to go. He told me the car was built at Quantum. Unfortunately I pulled the plugs and they were the factory plugs.

Maybe I've hit two needles in the proverbial haystack. Maybe I have not. Maybe it was just one tech who didn't realize that they were supposed to be replaced. It's unfortunate but to error is human.

If you have a Super Snake with a Kenne Bell Supercharger I would suggest that you make sure that you have the correct spark plugs installed. The Motorcraft Platinum's do not provide a cold enough spark.

I am simply trying to reach out and inform any SS owner to check their plugs. It could be the motor you save today.

I would question this. Quantum did a Stage II upgrade for me and they put in the NGK TR6 plugs. Why would they do that on a Stage II package and not on a SuperSnake? I have found them to be professional and extremely knowledgeable. All SuperSnake conversions have to be certified by Shelby before they are released to the customer.

SAI Modded my SS...was an early build....I had to change the plugs myself when I got it home....

Mine was a pretty recient build from SAI (Picked it up in July). It came from SAI with the motorcraft plugs. I had to swap them myself.

For anyone that has a super snake or mod’ed their car in the same manner.

I would go with the NGK plugs gapped at 30 or 32 depending on your car.

My Super snake 605 hp still had the stock plugs, that didn't work out well.

At just under 9,000 miles, I now have a cast iron paper weight sitting in my garage now for close to 3 months, while, I am STILL trying to get a RESPONSE from FMC as to why they denied the warranty. Other then to tell the dealer it is SAI's fault.

Seems FMC feels they have no ownership, no responsibility and no need to give a reason to their dealers or the dealer’s customer why they deny warranty service.

NGK is what I was instructed to run in my new engine and nothing else.

Heres a stock set from my car, also lost a valve. This issue goes beyond the plugs, but I think NGK TR6IX would have held up much better.

070.jpg

That looks like a ignition timing issue, very possibly with a plug heat range issue (although #5 looks good)

What "tune" did you have on it?

Phill Pollard

Dose the 605hp ford racing SS upgrade need upgrade ngk plugs? Ore is 725Kb SS upgrade only?

Have SS with 605 option with post-mods: GT cams, long tubes, 2.65" upper pulley, custom tune, etc. Was a little nervous after seeing this post. Pulled one plug to check this evening & was relieved to find the correct cold NGK's gapped @ .030"! Thanks again Quantum for putting together such a great ride!!

That looks like a ignition timing issue, very possibly with a plug heat range issue (although #5 looks good)

What "tune" did you have on it?

Phill Pollard

Standard KB tune for the 725 from SAI. Lost the IC fluid and had a high intake charge temp. After tear down, no evedence of detionation, so I think it had to be the high intake temp that killed the plugs and the valve, but we may not know for sure. Only 1 exhaust valve was damaged, the 2nd valve was fine, so maybe a factory flaw with the one valve. Hard to figure out.

SAI Modded my SS...was an early build....I had to change the plugs myself when I got it home....

+1. When I installed the JBA exhaust system at Quantum 9 months after the conversion I had them change the plugs to the ngk6.

KB website says the stage-3 kit as used on SS includes 1-range colder plugs but no mention of what type.:

STAGE 3 KIT

Replaces the stock restrictive 60mm throttle body and inlet tube with the Kenne Bell Dual 75mm Throttle Body and Big Oval Inlet Tube (+26-74HP depending on pulley size). +26HP (692 vs. 666) with the stock 3” pulley size. That’s almost 700HP at 15.5 psi. Then there are the smaller pulleys. 2-7/8” (728HP), 2-3/4” (764HP) and 2-1/2” (801HP) - all the HP the stock engine and drivetrain can handle. This is truly a “max” performance kit. Note: Also includes everything in the Stage 1 & Stage 2 Kits. Also larger 3-1/4” and 3-1/2” pulleys that lower kit power to as little as 540HP for those who want less HP. Overall HP range is 540-801 (+100-257HP) with NO other engine or fuel system mods except for the Kenne Bell DUAL BOOST-A-PUMP™ and a set of 1 heat range cooler plugs. See “Shelby Dyno Test Summary” for HP and TQ matrix and select the HP that best suits your needs. Think seriously about spending your money on expensive headers (10-15HP), cams (25HP) etc. and labor when the Kenne Bell Kits will give you ALL the extra HP you’ll ever need with a simple low cost pulley/boost upgrade (20-44HP per 1/4” pulley size).

HAD MINE DONE IN VEGAS ON 5-7-2008. MY INVOICE DOES NOT SHOW ANY SPARK PLUGS. WILL CHECK THE CAR TO SEE WHATS THERE.

WONDER WHAT THAT MORON 'BOOKENDS' THAT CALLED ALL SS OWNERS "IDOITS" ON THE TRACTION THREAD THINKS ABOUT THE LIABILITY ON THIS ISSUE. WITH HIS SELF PROCLAIMED AND OBVIOUSLY SHALLOW EXPERTISE ON LIABILITY BEING THE REASON SAI DIDN'T PUT BETTER WHEELS ON A 735HP CAR.

BOB

Archived