TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT500KR in CO

jadozzo

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I just bought an 08 GT500KR and am pretty darned happy with it!

med_gallery_26684_941_195418.jpg

Looking to do something better with the seats and a pulley/tune upgrade. Maybe save the original wheels and add some 20's to put more rubber on the road! With the 3.73's - even at ~7000ft - the backend sure gets "happy"!

First Off.....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! Also, Congratulations on your new KR. They are an incredible machine. I bought a black Kr about 3 weeks ago and love it. I'm amazed at how different it feels from a stock GT500. Shelby did a nice job modding the car. Be safe and again Congratulations!!

SVT

p.s. I forgot to mention I'm in CO for Thanksgiving....vacationing at Winter Park

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Looking to do something better with the seats and a pulley/tune upgrade. Maybe save the original wheels and add some 20's to put more rubber on the road! With the 3.73's - even at ~7000ft - the backend sure gets "happy"!

The Silver with Blue Stripes look Great. She's a keeper for sure.

Nice color combo. I still hvae on on my wish list. Have fun. Keep us posted on the mods.

• 2 months later...

Happy Thanksgiving All!

When I bought my 2010 Kona Blue & White GT500 from Phil Long Ford/Motor City in Sept. '09, there was a KR in the same color combo as yours.

There was also a 2010 Kona Blue & Black Roush 427R and a 2010 Black & Silver GT500 on the floor.

I had a choice of the four and got the rare chance to compare all 4 side-by-side.

The price they wanted for the KR kept me at bay so it came down to 3 (Kona GT500 or 427R, or the Black/silver GT500).

I started out looking specifically for a Kona Blue/white car and the Black/silver just didn't 'do it' for me so it was between the 427R and the GT500.

I gotta tell you, from the side the Roush was a hands down winner. The 'stance' was just so much better than the GT500. The GT500 just has too much air between the wheel and the well.

But I figured I could "buy" the stance and add it to the GT500. So, not a deal maker/breaker.

From the rear, the 427R wins out *again*. The Roush 3-piece rear spoiler 'widens' out the weak rear of the new body style IN MY HUMBLE/HONEST OPINION.

Then I stood in front of them and the nose of the Shelby just wins out, hands down. It looks like a Whale Shark scooping up tons of feeder fish as it cruises the ocean depths.

That was it, the GT500 won out, no competition! (well, other than that KR sitting there calling my name!)

I also figured if I *really* wanted it, I could "buy" the rear look of the Roush too, by adding a Roush products rear spoiler.

But back to the KR like yours. They had a sticker on the window of something totally outragious like $88,000, or something like that. Might'a even been in the low $100K range (Phil Long/Denver has one for $114,000!). My Sales Rep (Robert Barnes) said they'd probably sell it to me for seventy-something ($77K?) in "real money" (I paid cash for my GT500) but I'd already checked around and was told that under NO circumstance should you pay more than ~$66K for one.

So again, I passed.

But I gotta tell you, I have thought *seriously* about going back in there and trading in my GT500 along with some more cash to get that KR, like yours. I just LOVE the look of the car since it has the earlier rear treatment AND the KR front treatment. AND, 18" Alcoa's instead of the 20's that are available to the public.

Fortunately for me someone else on the Team Shelby Forum bought the car and saved me from myself! (thanks, "Uncle Ron"! <lol>).

I guess my point is, you have a FANTASTIC looking car and IF I WERE YOU (and I know I'm not) I'd think seriously about not changing those wheels/tires.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the 18" wheels on the KR's, along with the KR specific tire compound on the Goodyear F1's are FAR superior to the GT500's *OR* the Super Snake tire/wheel combo.

Go lurk on the Super Snake forum and notice the *main* complaint about the Super Snake...yep, TRACTION.

*Ford* made the decision not to go with the 20" wheels that Shelby had on their KR concept car, not Shelby.

There's a reason for that. TRACTION.

The KR F1's cost nearly double of what the GT500 F1's cost but they are superior.

I told "Uncle Ron" the same thing I will tell you...wait until the roads heat up in summer and *then* take those corners that make ya chase the back end around. You may be pleasently surprised.

I know it's like night and day (from summer to winter road temps) with my '10 GT500 F1's so with the better compound on the KR's, I'll bet'cha it'll be even more noticable.

Anyway, SA-WEET car! That color combo just sings out to me...it's singing, "Money money money MONNNNNNEY....MON-NEY!" <lol>.

Enjoy the ride. Maybe we'll see each other on the road up to Cripple Creek someday (now THAT is a fun drive)!

Later,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Archived