TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ride and drive with the iceman

Alloy Dave

I met up with the iceman today at Skillman Ford in Indianapolis to take him up on his offer to check out his ebony vert. I got there just 2 minutes prior to iceman. Just as I stepped out of my car, the sales people were asking if they could help me. I barely got the words "No thanks, I'm waiting for someone" out of my mouth, when he pulled in. The salesman said "wow, that's a nice car...I'll take two of those"...I laughed and said "that's who I was waiting on".

Ice jumped out, we introduced ourselves, and he immediately asked me to jump in TO THE DRIVER'S SEAT so we could go for a ride. Chris is a very nice guy, was pleasant and friendly, and very accomodating. He's obviously very excited about the car...as he should be. I drove north in some heavy traffic, trying to get used to the clutch chatter and shifter. As we got to the highway on-ramp, I gave it a little power, but backed out of it early to avoid a "hey, watch this mom" disaster moment. The car has awesome, linear power. On the highway I did a few 60-90 runs...it's amazing how fast it gets there.

I asked Chris all kinds of questions...hope he didn't think I was too nosy. I found out Chris used to be a boxer...which is where he got the name iceman. He's a big guy, standing 6' 4" compared to my 5' 11", so I didn't want to get on his bad side. :hysterical: Chris seems to be a real family guy with two young children, and genuinely nice. I hope I'm not letting anything out that he didn't want me to share...I'll stop there.

We stopped in a parking lot, lifted the hood, and I got to see his new Steeda hood struts...very nice. In addition, I loved the deadpedal he installed, and the shifter boot trim looked nice also...even though he said he wanted to modify it slightly because of the slight curve in the console.

I do think the car is too quiet in stock form. He did have a tune in the car...so I had a "hot" one. I was also a bit surprised at how big the trunk was. The weather was in the low 50's...very warm for this time of year. I snapped a couple pics of the car, so enjoy. I also mentioned to Chris that we have a few other fans in the area (cutter for sure...and I know there's one or two more), so we'd have to arrange a weekend get together in April/May timeframe once things warm up.

We drove back to the dealer and I checked out Chris' scrapbook, where he is keeping his paperwork/documentation...he has a very nice start.

I wanted again to say "thank you" to Chris for his kindness and hospitality...and driving about 35 minutes to meet with me and allow me to sit in and drive my first GT500. PSDS subsided for about an hour...but it's back now that I had to drive my Honda back home. :finger: Chris, if there's anything I can do for you, let me know and I'll do my best. We'll keep in touch.

Dave

post-3382-1167427943_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167427965_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167427986_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167427943_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167427965_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167427986_thumb.jpg

Glad you had a good time. It was great to fianlly meet someone from here that has the bug as much as me. I actually swung by the shop to do a dyno run on the way home since I was down on the South Side. I'm holding off posting the numbers yet because it may cause some people to flip out on here. We'll say for now that if the numbers actually pan out (and I do have the charts but they are hard to read from my scans) then the tune from Justin at VMP really did the trick....as you said perfect conditions so that helped to I'm sure. In any case it was great meeting you and I'm glad I could help with a short time on the PSDS....I just got aan e-mail that the Corsa's shiped out today so next time it may not be so quiet :)

Dave - now since you've taken your first drive in Chris's car you'll find it makes you want your car even more (if that were possible). Glad to hear that the two of you shared a great experience.

SCGT500 was so excited after a Nags Head, NC get together. We were invited to the meet and we didn't even have vin info yet. Orf invited SCGT500 into the drivers seat. It was his first ride and drive in the GT500. He had a blast and will never forget the once in a lifetime experience Orf gave him. A few days later we rec'd the vin number and the rest is history. It takes a very special type person to pass the Beast Keys over to another driver. Thanks again Orf, and now Chris for sharing the experience before ones time.

Dave - now since you've taken your first drive in Chris's car you'll find it makes you want your car even more (if that were possible). Glad to hear that the two of you shared a great experience.

SCGT500 was so excited after a Nags Head, NC get together. We were invited to the meet and we didn't even have vin info yet. Orf invited SCGT500 into the drivers seat. It was his first ride and drive in the GT500. He had a blast and will never forget the once in a lifetime experience Orf gave him. A few days later we rec'd the vin number and the rest is history. It takes a very special type person to pass the Beast Keys over to another driver. Thanks again Orf, and now Chris for sharing the experience before ones time.

Nags head? Is that a decapitated ex-wife? :finger:

Yes, I agree it made me want my car even more.

Dave

Archived