TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock Wheels & Tires on a Super Snake

I'm getting close to putting my 07 SS on car dollies in my garage. Wanted to take off the 20" wheels and tires and put on

stock 18" GT 500 wheels and tires. Is this OK? When I tried on the rear wheels, had a problem with the rear brake air duct

hitting the inside rim of the stock wheels. Is the rear air duct adjustable or can it be taken off for storage?

Any suggestions?

The rear air duct is not adjustable without taking it off and reinstalling. Good luck, took forever to get mine adjusted properly the first time, mine are so tight you cant even get a finger between the brake duct and the wheel. I have like 3/8" of clearance

Chris

I'm getting close to putting my 07 SS on car dollies in my garage. Wanted to take off the 20" wheels and tires and put on

stock 18" GT 500 wheels and tires. Is this OK? When I tried on the rear wheels, had a problem with the rear brake air duct

hitting the inside rim of the stock wheels. Is the rear air duct adjustable or can it be taken off for storage?

Any suggestions?

Stock rims should fit and clear the rear brake ducts.

Also, the stock rims should clear the upgraded Shelby/Baer big brake setup too.

:banghead:

I do have the baer extreme rear brakes. I did notice on the 20" SS wheels

that the rear brake duct was rubbing the inside of the wheel.

Some how, I will have to adjust the rear brake duct.

Best of luck to you. I spent the better part of a day trying to get more clearance between the duct and the rim, and never managed to get enough clearance for the effort I exerted trying to make it work. I considered taking a Dremel tool to it, but let that idea go in favor of "natural surface wear". I wish that the duct mounting holes were elongated so you could slide the duct (fore and aft, mostly aft) away from the rim, but the're not and that's how it goes.

In the end, the duct only rubs when I'm reversing the car, and even then ever so slightly (sounds like a cow mooing). I suspect that eventaully the carbon fiber will wear down enough so the rubbing stops completely.

Let me/us know if you were successful in your efforts and how you were able to do it.

In the end, the duct only rubs when I'm reversing the car, and even then ever so slightly (sounds like a cow mooing). I suspect that eventaully the carbon fiber will wear down enough so the rubbing stops completely.

mine do the same

+1

Do the rear brakes really need ducting anyway? I'm having Griggs take mine off. The duct gets in the the way of the jacking pinch point location.

Yeah, that's what Dan (My500SS) did. I believe that he told me that the ducts don't even fit the Griggs set up, but don't hold me to that.

Do rear brakes need to be ducted? Not for 99% of the folks that own these cars. It's not a bad idea if you are tracking the crap out of your car (it does help with brake fade), but that's if you are doing outright, balls to the wall, fender to fender racing which most of us here don't do.

Thanks for your reply. My son and I will try to solve this problem. I'm the one with the

money and he is the one with the know how!

Will let you know how it turns out.

Short of having the ducts cut apart and custom elongated so the "output" side of the duct is farther back from the wheel, I would consider taking the approach of using spacers (washers?) at the mounting points in order to push the duct in towards the middle (of the car) and away from the wheel and tire.

The other idea I had was to cut the output side of the duct down and then glue a piece of rubber around the outside of the duct to replace the portion that was removed.

Just a thought.

Yeah, that's what Dan (My500SS) did. I believe that he told me that the ducts don't even fit the Griggs set up, but don't hold me to that.

Do rear brakes need to be ducted? Not for 99% of the folks that own these cars. It's not a bad idea if you are tracking the crap out of your car (it does help with brake fade), but that's if you are doing outright, balls to the wall, fender to fender racing which most of us here don't do.

Yep, your correct my Shelby brother. Ducts came off with the Griggs set up. I'm putting together some brackets to put them back on after the brake upgrade. Not sure how much they cool the back brakes but it couldn't hurt.

rear brake ducts WAY overrated IMO......

Maybe overrated, but even the premier American Sports Car has a very similar set-up. Why would they (Chev.) spend the time, engineering and most of all $$$ to add rear brake ducts to a Z06 if they were just "frill"?<<<Makes you wonder?? Also seems that the inlet for the Super Snake rear duct is much more "in the flow" of air.

vemp_0601_10_zcorvette_brake_ductsb.jpg

While we are on this rear brake duct subject, I did speak (via phone) to someone who was very knowledgable about the "whys" of rear brake ducts, some of you know him, some may not. It was Van from Revan, the guy who designed and tested the Shelby Cooling System Upgrade for the GT500. He told me that if a car is "used" for on-track purposes, the brake ducts both front and rear are very important, especially during the cool down laps and driving before the car is parked. He stated that he has seen many cars with locked up brakes both front and rear after the competition ended when the car was quickly parked. He stated that this amount of air across the rotors does in fact help the brakes to live longer when properly cooled during the cool down period of driving.

On the other hand, a "street use" Super Snake may not benefit from the rear ducts, but "street" is/was not the only Shelby intention for the Super Snake.

R

While we are on this rear brake duct subject, I did speak (via phone) to someone who was very knowledgable about the "whys" of rear brake ducts, some of you know him, some may not. It was Van from Revan, the guy who designed and tested the Shelby Cooling System Upgrade for the GT500. He told me that if a car is "used" for on-track purposes, the brake ducts both front and rear are very important, especially during the cool down laps and driving before the car is parked. He stated that he has seen many cars with locked up brakes both front and rear after the competition ended when the car was quickly parked. He stated that this amount of air across the rotors does in fact help the brakes to live longer when properly cooled during the cool down period of driving.

On the other hand, a "street use" Super Snake may not benefit from the rear ducts, but "street" is/was not the only Shelby intention for the Super Snake.

R

Makes sense to me.

Good discussion.

I ha to take my rear brake ducts off with the Griggs as well...

I like the idea of putting a bracket on, given i do track my car every now and then it would be best to try and connect them.

Funny though i really didnt think much of the rear brake ducts at first !!! maybe ill look into i again.

Good discussion.

I ha to take my rear brake ducts off with the Griggs as well...

I like the idea of putting a bracket on, given i do track my car every now and then it would be best to try and connect them.

Funny though i really didnt think much of the rear brake ducts at first !!! maybe ill look into i again.

Once I have something made up I'll send you some pics.

Archived