TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Not looking good

BobsShelbyDakota

The engine is in bad shape, there is coolant in the oil pan, the heads look decent along with the head gaskets, there is coolant in the two rear left cylinders. The coolant is not coming from the freeze plugs. I am assuming the block is cracked in that area. I can see residue along the side under the left head. So now I have to decide whether it is worth repairing. Rebuiliding the engine, repairing the power steering, the dash is cracked bad, the truck needs alot of work and I can see on e-bay that a White Shelby Dakota in good running shape is by far cheaper that what it would cost me on this one.

What do you all think?

Thanks, Bob

I have now decided to part it out. The cost of restoring this one is not worth it like Steve mentioned in another post. I am pulling all of the Shelby unique parts off and will be searching for a decent running White Shelby Dakota to purchase. All of the Shelby parts I pulled make for the price I paid for it, so I am starting over.

Bob

I have now decided to part it out. The cost of restoring this one is not worth it like Steve mentioned in another post. I am pulling all of the Shelby unique parts off and will be searching for a decent running White Shelby Dakota to purchase. All of the Shelby parts I pulled make for the price I paid for it, so I am starting over.

Bob

It's unfortunate, but we can't save them all. Perhaps the parts from yours will go to a good home and help to save some other S/D.

I hate to see it go but like Steve mentioned, need to look at it objectively. I hate to see it die too but that is the way it goes sometimes. No room to let it sit. I will jump on a decent white one that runs decent, please let me know if you see one! I have taken all Shelby parts from it so now it looks like a plain Jane Dakota. Sad to see it that way. :cry:

Bob

Just ribbing you Dodge guys!

I bleed Ford blue!!

Good luck on the search. Which is half the fun

MM

No problem, I have sometimes considered us the illegitimate kids of Shelby, you know were here but it is hard to acknowledge it! Kind of like a one night stand but the results are still hanging around years later. :hysterical:

Bob

Bob,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. If you are definitely parting it out, I need a front air dam/light housing.

Trey

I am taking the truck to a few friends to make sure my diagnosis is correct. I really do not want to part it out, so I will see what they say about the engine and I will go from there. I pulled the seats, door panels, steering wheel and the lite bar off along with the old carpet and it is mint red paint under the carpet, not a speck of rust, super glossy red paint and that is when I decided to have another set of eyes look at the engine. I am reluctant to junk the truck, I can hear it saying to me NO, please help me come back to life! Lol

Bob

I am taking the truck to a few friends to make sure my diagnosis is correct. I really do not want to part it out, so I will see what they say about the engine and I will go from there. I pulled the seats, door panels, steering wheel and the lite bar off along with the old carpet and it is mint red paint under the carpet, not a speck of rust, super glossy red paint and that is when I decided to have another set of eyes look at the engine. I am reluctant to junk the truck, I can hear it saying to me NO, please help me come back to life! Lol

Bob

Well Bob I have an engine and tranny sitting here from the S/Dak that I'm parting out. 120k miles and runs great. Transmission was rebuilt for performance with not that many miles on it.

Might be willing to trade it for some of those parts you scored at the j/yard earlier this year.

Steve

Archived