TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shelby story

shelbydream1

So, yesterday was a nice and sunny day in the low 50's here and there is snow in the forecast for this week-I decided it would be a great day to take the car out for one last drive, gas her up & give her a bath for the winter. As I was out driving, I had the opportunity to sit at a stoplight next to one of the Camaros. It was a headturner for the passing cars. A bit later a new Challenger pulled up next me at another light and got racy. I just let him go-then he waited at the next light for me. I got him with the hole shot and surged ahead of him coming out of the light then let up on the gas as I hit the 55 limit-he hung back and didn't pull back up next to me. It was a fun last drive of the season. Then after gas and a good hand wash, as I am drying her off in the drive way, a Dodge Viper goes past my house and turns around in the cul-de-sac. When he gets back up the hill, he pulls into my driveway and gets out. He walks up to me and says "How's it going? That's a sweet car! I've seen it pulling into this subdivision a couple times but never saw where it belonged" I'm thinking 'your's isn't so bad either' and getting ready to go into the explanation that it's not a GT500 when he says "I love those Shelby GT's. They look so much more agressive than the GT500's". I was impressed he knew they were two distinct models. He then tells me that he likes how the SGT's are actuallly sent to Shelby for conversion and how he loves all vehicles Shelby has a hand in building or designing as evidenced by his toy. He knew a lot about the SGT. We end up talking for about 20 minutes (he even helped me finish drying off the car!)-he lives in the subdivision off the other fork of the main road coming into mine. He offers me a ride in the Viper over to see his Shelby. I can't resist the invitation as I had never ridden in a Viper and never pass up the chance to check out a Shelby. We get to his house and he opens the garage door and there she sits- a gleaming white with blue "stripes" (not sure what you would really call that decal work) 1983 Shelby Dodge Charger. It looked a little out of place between his Viper and Aston Martin, but was still cool nonetheless. All said and done, spent an enjoyable hour with a fellow Shelby nut.

So, yesterday was a nice and sunny day in the low 50's here and there is snow in the forecast for this week-I decided it would be a great day to take the car out for one last drive, gas her up & give her a bath for the winter. As I was out driving, I had the opportunity to sit at a stoplight next to one of the Camaros. It was a headturner for the passing cars. A bit later a new Challenger pulled up next me at another light and got racy. I just let him go-then he waited at the next light for me. I got him with the hole shot and surged ahead of him coming out of the light then let up on the gas as I hit the 55 limit-he hung back and didn't pull back up next to me. It was a fun last drive of the season. Then after gas and a good hand wash, as I am drying her off in the drive way, a Dodge Viper goes past my house and turns around in the cul-de-sac. When he gets back up the hill, he pulls into my driveway and gets out. He walks up to me and says "How's it going? That's a sweet car! I've seen it pulling into this subdivision a couple times but never saw where it belonged" I'm thinking 'your's isn't so bad either' and getting ready to go into the explanation that it's not a GT500 when he says "I love those Shelby GT's. They look so much more agressive than the GT500's". I was impressed he knew they were two distinct models. He then tells me that he likes how the SGT's are actuallly sent to Shelby for conversion and how he loves all vehicles Shelby has a hand in building or designing as evidenced by his toy. He knew a lot about the SGT. We end up talking for about 20 minutes (he even helped me finish drying off the car!)-he lives in the subdivision off the other fork of the main road coming into mine. He offers me a ride in the Viper over to see his Shelby. I can't resist the invitation as I had never ridden in a Viper and never pass up the chance to check out a Shelby. We get to his house and he opens the garage door and there she sits- a gleaming white with blue "stripes" (not sure what you would really call that decal work) 1983 Shelby Dodge Charger. It looked a little out of place between his Viper and Aston Martin, but was still cool nonetheless. All said and done, spent an enjoyable hour with a fellow Shelby nut.

Nice, sounds like a great day!

:happy feet: This is the type of fun we can have when we actually drive our cars. My SGT is driven daily and I rarely run a local errand without someone making a special effort to come and look at the car. Surprisingly most people do know the difference between the GT500 and SGT, and the most common comment is that they "like the way the SGT sits better than the 500" or "the SGT is a much more practical car with real Shelby heritage" thanks for posting your story :happy feet:

That was an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

I have put my SGT away for the winter. I have also moved into a new house, in a new neighborhood. My SGT is being stored off property so it hasn't been moved to the new house yet. I'm sure everyone in the new neighborhood has put their "summer toys" away for the winter. . . . so we'll just wait for show & tell in the spring.

Great story nice to see someone is on the ball!! I always get hey like your gt 500 Duh anyway please ask that guy if he wants a boy toy so I can drive his cars !! :drool:

Great story.

I have had my SGT in several car shows, many cruises and one 4th of July parade over the nearly two years of ownership. I think I can count one hand the number of people who talked to me about my car and actually knew the background and differences from the "Detroit Shelbys" as one guy put it. None of the folks even owned either Shelby Mustang. They were just well informed car nuts. :happy feet:

Larry,

Great story. It seems like everytime I take my car out I get a thumbs up or somebody's head spins around like in the Exorcist. If I'm filling up or just out running an errand people always ask me about it and tell me how great the car looks. I actually got a drive in last weekend myself. Thanks for sharing!

Dave

COOL STORY LARRY , IT ALWAYS ALWAYS AWESOME WHEN YOU

MEET A NEW OR NICE CAR GUY THAT ISN'T FULL OF HIMSELF OR

THE CAR HE OWNS. :hysterical:

I LOVE MY SHELBY GT , IT'S ALWAYS SWEET TO MEET AND TALK TO OTHERS THAT

ARE KNOWLEDGIBLE , TRUE CAR GUYS. :happy feet:

CONGRATS ON YOUR THE LAST RIDE OF THE YEAR IT SOUNDED FUN. :shift:

SCOTTY

Archived