TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Workn' that rusty butt!

DaFreak

I'm so jealous of all that get the finished axle. After 5hrs I've:

1) Jacked er up (using Rhino ramps, scary as hell)

2) Scotch brited to knock down and smooth the surface rust

3) Tapped er up for rust converter and paint application

Jeeze, can't wait to be done!

Some pics for your viewing pleasure.

post-25860-1258856211_thumb.jpg

post-25860-1258856223_thumb.jpg

DaFreak

You are doing a very nice job with the prep work. You will be very pleased when you are all done.

Please do one safety measure to protect your self just incase a jack stand was to fail. Put something under the car on both sides that would keep it from falling all the way down. You could use a couple of old rims or a second set of jacks. Or stuff the rhino ramps under each side like I did.

Here's what I did as a safety measure. Put the ramps under the car with a board on top. That way if the car fell, I would not get smashed.

RearEndRustRepairPart2002.jpg

RearEndRustRepair019.jpg

Are you knocking off the rust with an air powered brush or are using a converter like Naval Jelly?

Taking a look in my own crystal ball and see myself doing the same thing in about 2-3 weeks...

DaFreak

DaFreak

Anyone know of someone getting a finished axle out of Ford after they have taken delivery of their car? :doh:

What kind of rust converter and paint are you planning on using?

Ken

Not sure what DaFreak is using but this is what I used:

RUST CONVERTER

RearEndRustRepair015.jpg

PAINT

RearEndRustRepair017.jpg

RearEndRustRepair011.jpg

I DID MY REAR CALIPERS TOO

RearEndRustRepair012.jpg

2 YEARS LATER IT STILL LOOKS LIKE NEW !!! :happy feet:

060.jpg

059.jpg

058.jpg

057.jpg

056.jpg

Sorry to change the topic. But is there enough clearance to use the rhino ramps in the front? I would be using them for oil changes. Thanks!

Yes they will work if you put a 2X10 in front of them first to give more clearance. Drill a hole in the 2X10 and thread a small rope thru the rhino ramp so it does not move on you.

Ramps022.jpg

Ramps023.jpg

Ramps024.jpg

Ramps025.jpg

Ramps026.jpg

Ramps027.jpg

Ramps029.jpg

Ramps030.jpg

Ramps041.jpg

Ramps042.jpg

Thanks Grabber, you rock!

One other tip.

Before taking off the oil filter, position a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the cross member directly under the oil filter. This will keep the oil from landing on the top of that cross member and getting into the holes of that member. That member is hollow and when the oil gets in there...it takes a few days to drip out of the bottom hole that is on the underside of that member. If you don't do this and you notice oil on the floor, check to see if it's coming out of that hole. That hole is there to allow any fluid that might get in there to exit.

ps.

DaFreak - sorry to change the topic at hand.

Hi All,

Glad to give some help. Some comments on your questions.

--> I used the Rhino ramps on the front without the 2X10 and it does just barely clear (stock suspension).

--> A buddy of mine is a commercial paint salesman at Rhodda paint and he suggested to following products:

post-25860-1258907495_thumb.jpg

--> I like having a spray version of the converter too as some of these spots you can't reach with a brush.

--> Some more prep work shots (my wife just commented: It looks like a cartoon) funny!

post-25860-1258907907_thumb.jpg

post-25860-1258907931_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

DaFreak

I'm planning on painting my rear axle too but I had a different idea about how to do it. My plan is:

Jack up the rear end of the vehicle and support it with stands.

Remove rear wheels.

Remove rear calipers from the axle.

Install rear wheels.

Disconnect drive shaft.

Support rear axle with floor jack.

Disconnect shocks.

Disconnect upper/lower control arms.

Lower rear axle to ground.

Roll axle out on the wheels.

Prep/paint axle assy.

Reverse proceedure to install axle.

Anyone tried that proceedure yet? I'm also planing on installing a girdle so with the nose of the pumpkin pointing down, I'll save the mess and hassle of masking the rear cover (two birds/one rock).

Phill

I'm planning on painting my rear axle too but I had a different idea about how to do it. My plan is:

Jack up the rear end of the vehicle and support it with stands.

Remove rear wheels.

Remove rear calipers from the axle.

Install rear wheels.

Disconnect drive shaft.

Support rear axle with floor jack.

Disconnect shocks.

Disconnect upper/lower control arms.

Lower rear axle to ground.

Roll axle out on the wheels.

Prep/paint axle assy.

Reverse proceedure to install axle.

Anyone tried that proceedure yet? I'm also planing on installing a girdle so with the nose of the pumpkin pointing down, I'll save the mess and hassle of masking the rear cover (two birds/one rock).

Phill

Obviously not here Phill but I'm sure you'd get much better coverage. It's tough to get coverage around the pumpkin and calipers this way. Seems like a good time to do any suspension upgrades too. :)

DaFreak

--> A buddy of mine is a commercial paint salesman at Rhodda paint and he suggested to following products:

--> I like having a spray version of the converter too as some of these spots you can't reach with a brush.

DaFreak

I used the same rust converter for mine...seemed to work excellent. Also got the rustoleum sealer to cover it with. I will not be posting pics for fear of ridicule. I used the steady hand, good aim approach and didn't tape anything off. Good enough for me.

No ridicule from me BB. I'm only this way cause I'm a freak (hence the name). I think it's a disease and your pics could only help me :)

DaFreak

I used the same rust converter for mine...seemed to work excellent. Also got the rustoleum sealer to cover it with. I will not be posting pics for fear of ridicule. I used the steady hand, good aim approach and didn't tape anything off. Good enough for me.

:poke:

:hysterical:

:hide:

Yes they will work if you put a 2X10 in front of them first to give more clearance. Drill a hole in the 2X10 and thread a small rope thru the rhino ramp so it does not move on you.

Man, even your concrete is clean and sealed. Can we say OCD? Just kidding, I am actually jealous.

my car didnt have any/much rust on it back in June,so i just killed what little rust theres was,and cleared it.I check it once a mointh and still looks new--have 1600 miles on it,but no rain or wet roads--its an extra car,ay my age I need extra things

post-24281-1258989019_thumb.jpg

post-24281-1258989041_thumb.jpg

post-24281-1258989019_thumb.jpg

post-24281-1258989041_thumb.jpg

No ridicule from me BB. I'm only this way cause I'm a freak (hence the name). I think it's a disease and your pics could only help me :)

DaFreak

Thanks DaFreak. I do appreciate the attention to detail that people like yourself do, however. I think I got that all worked out of my system a while ago. Now I'm just content to keep the top side clean, interior and engine compartment.

:poke:

:hysterical:

:hide:

Hey now! LOL! :lol:

Hi All,

Some pics after the rust converter application. Only have the paint to go!

post-25860-1258937306_thumb.jpg

post-25860-1258937321_thumb.jpg

DaFreak

DaFreak,

Applying the rust converter, did you just paint it directly on the rust and then wipe clean? Probably a dumb question I just have never done it. If you could walk through the steps that would help.

Thx

my car didnt have any/much rust on it back in June,so i just killed what little rust theres was,and cleared it.I check it once a mointh and still looks new--have 1600 miles on it,but no rain or wet roads--its an extra car,ay my age I need extra things

FYI...It's a big No No to lift the front of the car the way it's being done in your 2nd photo.

It's easy to have the uni body cave in at those points after several lifts.

The load transfer from the black steel to the body is the problem. The body can't take it at those points.

Hi All,

Getn' close now. Just applied the paint (you'll see it's still drying in the pics).

Can wait to pull off the paper and driver er again.

DaFreak

post-25860-1259030731_thumb.jpg

post-25860-1259030752_thumb.jpg

looks vey nice--did you spray or brush on--looks like a gloss??or is it semi-gloss.Sory if i missed a post,but whta brand paint--thanks

looks vey nice--did you spray or brush on--looks like a gloss??or is it semi-gloss.Sory if i missed a post,but whta brand paint--thanks

I sprayed on Rustoleum high performance semi gloss enamel. Went with the semi gloss as many of the other finished parts looked similar.

DaFreak

Hi Roger,

You can pretty much reach all of the tops (axle, break area, etc.) with the exception of the pumpkin. I just did the best I could with that.

DaFreak

How did you get the tops with the spray can. Looks like it would be a tight fit.

Respectfully,

Roger

Archived