TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

^He's built several apparently. He's done countless mod motors in general. He had me on the phone for over an hour, asking me more questions than anyone else has about my build and goals and giving me more answers than anyone has at the same time.

His bread and butter comes from Ferrari, Porsche, and Vette guys mostly, but apparently he's had great success with mod motor road race builds as well. I spoke to my friends at Griggs about it and also a couple other road racers from the Napa area that I know and have gotten nothing but the highest recommendations. Frank (devildog) was the first to turn me on to these guys. I'll keep you posted on how it goes and get pics up whenever I have some.

Ken

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, Ken....no Hasings rings...I have bult 100's of mod motors and 1000's of other Ford motors for myself and customers. Hastings rings are JUNK!!! Any builder that uses these rings you should reconsider...PM me the new builders parts/component list and I will be happy to g over it for you.

Alex

^The Hastings rings are in the mail to MMR, along with the 4V ARP main stud kit they sent me, the wrong oil pump pickup tube, and the USED factory sidebolts/washers.

I spent 1/2 hour on the phone with the guys at MMR listening to them try to explain why I needed to pay a restocking fee to return all of this stuff. They certainly lack foresight down there in Ventura.

Ken

Ken, I picked up the SGT yesterday with the new L&M stroker, 612rwp @ 5382rpms. We may break 675rwhp with out the meth kit once we break the motor in. After owning a 07 GT500 with 728rwhp, hands down the SGT feels faster and handles better. Happy New Year and the best of luck on the new motor.

Paul

Ken, I picked up the SGT yesterday with the new L&M stroker, 612rwp @ 5382rpms. We may break 675rwhp with out the meth kit once we break the motor in. After owning a 07 GT500 with 728rwhp, hands down the SGT feels faster and handles better. Happy New Year and the best of luck on the new motor.

Paul

Congrats Paul! That's awesome news man. Did L&M build your heads too?

Ken

Sealed Power rings or the Mahle rings are good. Total Seal is another good choice. Clevite bearings are fine but for a road race deal I would suggest checking out King race bearings. Good stuff. As for suggestions....I'd use the FRPP oil pump/pickup with the TSS billet gears, a Canton road race pan, an upgraded valve spring, and stainless valves with single valve lock grooves. One thing we do here is rework the oil passage from the oil pump to the filter housing. As delivered from Ford the passage is not machined....it is left "as-cast" from Ford. Lots of casting flash. Twenty minutes with a die grinder and a few cartridge rolls pays big dividends. Another choice for cylinder head work would be Herb Yancer at Competitive Edge in Florida. 941-921-3343. Sorry to hear the problems with MMR returns. Sounds like their typical crap.

TEM was too busy to take the project for many weeks. So I went with a different shop in the Valley called Vindicated.

I dropped the block and parts off last night. Today the owner calls to tell me that the pistons from MMR are standard bore, not .020 over as I ordered. I got an RMA from MMR immediately and am now awaiting the correct pistons.

I also asked them about the factory sidebolts, 4V main studs, and Hastings rings that I returned. Finally, they're going to credit my card for these returns, but I won't see my $ for a week. I also found out that Rick was fired today. The guy I'm now dealing with is Philip. He didn't elaborate on the cause of Rick's departure. Basically everything that Rick handled with me has been screwed up.

Anyway, from the time I get the correct pistons and rings, the guys at Vindicated tell me that it will be in machining for a week and in assembly for a week. They gave me a tight schedule with a tight quote. I feel much better dealing with them than anyone I've dealt with thus far. Now I'm just waiting on MMR again...

TEM was too busy to take the project for many weeks. So I went with a different shop in the Valley called Vindicated.

I dropped the block and parts off last night. Today the owner calls to tell me that the pistons from MMR are standard bore, not .020 over as I ordered. I got an RMA from MMR immediately and am now awaiting the correct pistons.

I also asked them about the factory sidebolts, 4V main studs, and Hastings rings that I returned. Finally, they're going to credit my card for these returns, but I won't see my $ for a week. I also found out that Rick was fired today. The guy I'm now dealing with is Philip. He didn't elaborate on the cause of Rick's departure. Basically everything that Rick handled with me has been screwed up.

Anyway, from the time I get the correct pistons and rings, the guys at Vindicated tell me that it will be in machining for a week and in assembly for a week. They gave me a tight schedule with a tight quote. I feel much better dealing with them than anyone I've dealt with thus far. Now I'm just waiting on MMR again...

if I was you, I would return everything from MMR and have Vindicated supply and install every part that is needed.

this way if anything fails it's up to Vindicated and they can't point the finger to you or the parts you supplied. just my 2 cents

It does not sound like this was researched very well kinda like the catch can thing a while back with the company that had it installed on the wrong side. It's not my nickel but with all that has been put in this car a brand new KR, Z06 Vette or something far better could have been bought. I'll probably get a flame but it would be nice if in this forum there were a vast array of post on multiple topics that would benifit more owners. The Barrett forum has lots of good gouge and not a blow by blow of every nut and bolt taken apart on an engine. Boring to me. Sorry but that is reality. :rolleyes:

It does not sound like this was researched very well kinda like the catch can thing a while back with the company that had it installed on the wrong side. It's not my nickel but with all that has been put in this car a brand new KR, Z06 Vette or something far better could have been bought. I'll probably get a flame but it would be nice if in this forum there were a vast array of post on multiple topics that would benifit more owners. The Barrett forum has lots of good gouge and not a blow by blow of every nut and bolt taken apart on an engine. Boring to me. Sorry but that is reality. :rolleyes:

Before this kicks off a flamefest, let me just add this: it is not about you; it is about Ken and folks in this forum

helping him out. I have nothing to contribute, but I find it facinating as a reader seeing others pitching in their

useful 2 cents. I've also learned quite a bit about the engine build process should I ever go that route. So that

is MY reality.

Carry on gents...

-Tom

it would be nice if in this forum there were a vast array of post on multiple topics that would benifit more owners.

{/quote]

Nobody is stopping you from posting things you think would benefit more owners. It's obvious from the replies on Ken's threads that lots of people are interested in this and following it, so I'm not sure what the point of your post really is.... But I do enjoy irony.

The reality is that Ken is showing us the build of his motor. Just look at all the responses and help that he has gotten. People do want read and see these things happen because for many of us that plan on one day doing an engine bulid , it helps us too. I don't know Ken but I can tell you that he has a nice car and his build posts are going to help out many people. By the way Radical08 , no one is making you read these posts. :redcard:

I understand comments and figured as much. I've posted my mods so no need to continue on the same threads. I would think there would be much more varied info such as the Corvette Forum as there are far more Mustangs than Vettes out there is my point. I'm not personally flaming Ken either though I figured most young readers would take it that way.

^That's great advice except that MMR won't take my stroker kit back without charging me a hefty restocking fee.

Ken,

If you bought it on a credit card, contest it with the credit card company, document all your troubles and I would bet a plug nickel you will get all your money back.

Good Luck

Andrew

I understand comments and figured as much. I've posted my mods so no need to continue on the same threads. I would think there would be much more varied info such as the Corvette Forum as there are far more Mustangs than Vettes out there is my point. I'm not personally flaming Ken either though I figured most young readers would take it that way.

Can't imagine what you mean by "much more varied". Seems to me I've seen threads on just about every aspect of Shelbys, and then some.

If, by "much more varied" you mean "interesting to me", I guess the search function might get you to something in your neighborhood.

Remind me again: what was the point of your post?

It does not sound like this was researched very well kinda like the catch can thing a while back with the company that had it installed on the wrong side.

If it sounds like it wasn't researched well, it's because it wasn't. The only reason I'm in this build is because my engine ended up full of metal. I've learned a whole lot about what it is I'm doing and what it is I'm going to do with this project over the course of the past 2 months. I'm not sure what that has to do with UPR designing an oil catch can incorrectly. Also, I've posted about all of my mistakes and misfortunes along the way (and always have), whereas maybe others might just write about the plan and the end result, giving the impression that there weren't any hitches along the way. I enjoy documenting my projects, good or bad, and I'm fairly certain that many others have enjoyed following along.

It's not my nickel but with all that has been put in this car a brand new KR, Z06 Vette or something far better could have been bought.

I paid much less for my SGT than most did (less than a new Mustang GT, actually). But even if I hadn't, I wouldn't trade my SGT for the rarest KR or the fastest Vette in the world. If you have access to my receipts, I guess I need a better set of locks on my garage.

I'll probably get a flame but it would be nice if in this forum there were a vast array of post on multiple topics that would benifit more owners.

If you have something to add to this thread, please, by all means, go ahead and add to it. The purpose of this thread (and many of my previous threads) is not only to document my project, but also to seek advice and input from other members for the benefit of myself and others. As for posting on a variety of topics here, that makes little sense. The topic at hand is this specific forged stroker build. If you seek other topics to read about, search the tech section.

Ken,

Thanks for all your post and sharing and thanks for speaking with me via emails not related to this specific post.

The lesson's I can learn from these post and not have to learn from my pocket book and time are most valuable. It is only when we are open and honest about our experiences that we learn if we choose to learn while offering others the opportunity to take advantage of our experienes. Your emails to me have saved me a mistake or two. I for one appreciate your willingness to show your let's say not so good decisions as well as the very good decisions you have made.

Rad08, hope you find what you need and something tells me you will.

Take team members and thank you very much for sharing.

-Billy

IMO, Ken would smoke a new Z06.

His honesty and attention to detail is helping me a lot since I plan to upgrade my internals this spring. Just learning about MMR is

worth a lot to anyone thinking of going that route. (I know I was)

Ken, when I'm done, you're more than welcome to take Betsy for a "spirited" spin!

Dan

^Thanks guys for the nice comments. Before this build, I had zero trouble man-handling any and every Vette I came across on the road course.

I just got word that the correct pistons and rings were shipped yesterday. So the short block ought to be complete in 2 weeks from tomorrow. :lurk:

Ken

Archived