TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few shots I took in my new driveway last weekend. You'll notice some new holes in my hood - those are for the Super Snake hood vents that I've tried installing a few times now. This is the mod that keeps falling apart. My body shop guy has a new idea to mount these things and still keep a clean appearance, so I'm going to give it another shot next week. I'll post pics up, if it works out. If it doesn't work out, I'm just going to mount them the old fashioned way.

You'll also notice the new FRPP tow hook mounted on the front of the car. This is thanks to Kerry's custom built tow hook bracket that I bought off of him at Grabber's event earlier this year. Aside from that, the other new exterior mod I did was to the front splitter. I ditched the carbon fiber splitter cover, because it was cracked badly in the front center. While at the body shop, I had them send the entire front fascia out to be reconditioned, then had them paint match the splitter to the rest of the bumper, just like the prototype Shelby GT's were painted, stripes and all. I personally love how it turned out.

I don't think I'll put the lower grill back in, just so that I can keep as much air flowing to the intercooler as possible. Next up on the mod list are some new brake cooling ducts - preferably ones that come with hoses and rotor backing plates this time. Stay tuned.. ;)

dsc03249.jpg

dsc03238z.jpg

dsc03219l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

^Thanks dude - I've thought about blacking out the stripes, quarter window plates, grills, and wheels one of these days, so you might see those black grills sooner than later! ;)

Hell YEAH ! ! !

it is how I live my life B&W baby, no gray area .... so that would make yours Black and Blue, like the whooping you be putting the sissy boys on the track ( or something like that) !

Take Care

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

^That's it buddy - one of these days I'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out. ;)

As for my car, I'm finally ready for the final tune. Between travel and work lately, I haven't been able to find the time. I'm scheduled to get her back on the rollers Saturday the 30th. Wish me luck..

^Anxious as all hell yeah. I'm really not too concerned with what the numbers actually are, only because I know that this is about as much power in a 'street' car that I could ever possibly imagine wanting. But the anticipating the relief of getting through the final tune without blowing anything up and finally getting to lay the hammer down to 7k RPM's is literally keeping me up at night lately. :shift:

^AED won't tune it. They're not fond of tuning 3V's in general, they hate tuning for aftermarket cams, and they refuse to tune for meth injection. I spoke with Shaun about it a couple months ago.

I'm going back to Vendicated Tuning in Modesto, the same guys that set up my break in tune. I just can't find anyone else that'll take the liability of having to tune a 3V build of this magnitude.

^He cancelled on me 15 minutes after I had already departed on the 2 1/2 hour drive to his shop. This is the countless time he's done this. We're re-scheduled for next Friday. If it doesn't happen this time, I'm driving it to LA to get it done the week after. (that's my wife in the pic, by the way) ;)

^Sorry fellas, it's killin me too. 5k RPM is no redline a man should have to live with for any amount of time!

As for dropping it off, it's a 2 1/2 hour trip one way with no traffic, first off, so I'd rather not have to deal with that commute more than I already have to. Beyond that though, the dyno he uses is out of his old shop. The dyno stayed when he moved into some nicer digs a few months ago. I guess it was part of the deal for the old shop and he still doesn't have a new dyno at the new shop. So now, when he wants to tune a guy's car, he has to get permission from the new 'old shop' owner. Apparently, there's been a pile of miscommunication back and forth for the past few months, since he made the move.

I'm a pretty understanding guy on a day to day basis. Shit happens, people make mistakes, things come up, whatever. But this is getting to be ridiculous. Anyway, like I said, we set one more date, this coming Friday. If it falls through, I'm trailering Old Blue a day away to the smoggy side of the state and getting it tuned once and for all. Hopefully though I've got some video to stare at this Friday. :shift:

^Thanks for the info Bill. I'll probably plan on a dyno pull at the new speed shop while I'm down there either way, just for kicks.

I finally made it back on the dyno this past Friday. It didn't go very well at all. I got there on time at 6, but we didn't get the roller turning till almost 9. They couldn't find their wideband, even after sending people to various other shops and houses. Luckily I had mine installed in my A-pillar gauge and the O2 sensor was already in the pipe. It just wasn't wired up. When it became apparent that no one else was going to produce one, we decided to get mine wired up on the lift.

Once that was out of the way, the new HPX MAF got installed and it was time to set up some new fuel curves. This was the whole reason I was running on my break in tune for so long - the stock MAF was pegged at about 5k RPM's and the new MAF would require a new tune from scratch.

Anyway, the tuner made what seemed like a hundred pulls up to 5k RPM's, getting the fuel and timing straight. It was right on target with the break in tune pulls, making about 520 rwhp and 515 ft/lbs on 17 psi of boost at this reduced speed. By 1 or 2 in the morning, it was time to make some power pulls to see what this thing would put down to the wheels. That's where the fun stopped. Every single pull up to my new redline of 7k RPM's showed ZERO increase in power and only up 1 psi in boost from the 5k RPM pulls. He made 4 or 5 attempts to get it figured out, but the numbers wouldn't budge. I left the car with him for the weekend and drove my truck and trailer home, getting to bed about 5AM on Saturday morning. After viewing the dyno video I took, I realized that the lights were dimming at high RPM, indicating that the belt was slipping enough to bog the alternator down. But this would have to be an unheard of amount of slip to cause the engine not to produce ANY additional power above 5k RPM's. So I hopped on the Paxton site and did the research I should have done months ago.

I found that my Novi 1200SL's max RPM is 52,000. I also found that the blower step up ratio is 3.6:1. I had the tuner measure my 10% OD crank pulley and he came up with 8.625". My blower pulley was reduced to a 3.33" pulley. With these numbers, I was able to calculate the speed at which we were spinning the blower on the dyno 2 nights ago. It turns out that at 7k RPM's, this little blower was spinning at over 65,000 RPM's, well over it's rated limit. It was reaching it's max efficiency right around 5k RPM's, which explains why the engine quit producing power at that speed. Not only was the blower not moving anymore air, but it was most likely causing a ton of drag on the motor itself. I'm honestly very lucky that we didn't scatter the little Paxton into the engine at 7k RPM. If we had, I'd still be crying in my truck in Modesto right now! LOL

So the saga continues. Tomorrow morning, I'm calling Paxton to see if they will take my 1200SL on trade for a 2000 or 2200. If so, that problem is solved. If not, I'll have to sell the head unit outright and then buy the bigger blower from Paxton or elsewhere. Beyond that, I'm going to purchase the Paxton 8-rib pulley kit, in order to help reduce the belt slip I'm seeing at high speed. Aside from that, I've got a Vortech mini-race BOV to install, along with a VMP blow through MAF housing. I'm afraid the twin Bosch bypass valves I've got installed won't tolerate this kind of abuse for much longer, especially after the bigger blower is installed. So that's all I've got for the moment.

Geez!

That suprises me about the rpm limit. Which Paxton does Carl have, and is he also limited?

This sux! Bummer having to make do with 520HP when you were loking at a LOT more than that!

Carl has the 2200 which has a max RPM limit of 60,000, if I remember correctly. He'd only run into trouble with a really tiny blower pulley.

This is the blower I intend on upgrading to asap. Just waiting to hear back from Paxton.

Archived