TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil change - ? wrong oil?

keb

Does anybody put this much effort into there daily drivers? I doubt it, spill it, fill it, drive it.

I think there is some misconception about synthetic engine oils, There really is no such thing. They are "engineered" petroleum oils so that all the molecules are or almost the same size hence the better lubrication ability. Thoughts?

Mobil 1 recomended that I use 0w40 in mine, may not be a bad choice but I use the castrol.

There really IS such thing! Group IV and V are not petroleum based at all. Group III "full synthetics" are.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. Not a synthetic either. I really find it to be false advertising. Mobil even sued Castrol for it. The only GP IV 5w50 I know of is Mobil 1 but it seems to be Europe only.

My point is, since the Motorcraft 5W50 uses a Group III petroleum base and meets WSS-M2C931-B and Castrol Syntec also uses a Group III petroleum base and meets WSS-M2C931-B, then both products are equivalent and should be fine for our car's engine.

If you simply use what's recommended by Ford along with the recommended service intervals, you'll be fine.

Castrol Syntec 5W50 is available locally at Checkers/O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Hehe lol. You know I will. Long day at work, and have access to my blackberry. Let'em have it.

Beside I really HATE oil topics. Lol. And when a "required" oil is this hard to acquire it just pisses me off that much more. Lol. No really...lol haha

Hard to acquire? How's that?

Hard to acquire? How's that?

The. Ford oil that is. Dealer or mail order. No store around me carries it. Also the 5w50 rating is crap. Why not 5w40? And don't give me the added heat protection either. High HP cars/trucks have been surviving on less for years. Think Ford seen and opportunity to make a little money hence the required oil. But I am sure a oil guru can correct me.

If you must have the Motorcraft Oil - K-man sells it mail-order.

http://k-mansparts.com/items/motorcraft-fi...-qgt-detail.htm

Ford recommends WSS-M2C931-B which is B spec. Everyone should be aware that ford makes two different"fully synthetic" 5w50 oil. One is A spec and one is B spec. The oil shown in the add for Kman is A spec . The B spec oil has a yellow cap not a black cap. Now that being said does anyone really think it makes a big difference considering the way most of us drive our cars and the frequency with which we change our oil

Ford recommends WSS-M2C931-B which is B spec. Everyone should be aware that ford makes two different"fully synthetic" 5w50 oil. One is A spec and one is B spec. The oil shown in the add for Kman is A spec . The B spec oil has a yellow cap not a black cap. Now that being said does anyone really think it makes a big difference considering the way most of us drive our cars and the frequency with which we change our oil

B-spec oil I bought had black caps, all 7 of them. Yes I am positive they were B-spec, confirmed on the bottle.

B-spec oil I bought had black caps, all 7 of them. Yes I am positive they were B-spec, confirmed on the bottle.

I'm looking at two bottles as we "speak" B-spec bottle has a gold -yellow cap and clearly says"highest level of performance "on the front label and says B spec on the rear label.

A-spec bottle has a black cap and does not indicate "highest level of performance" on the label and clearly says Aspec on the rear label . Ck it out at a dealer

The. Ford oil that is. Dealer or mail order. No store around me carries it. Also the 5w50 rating is crap. Why not 5w40? And don't give me the added heat protection either. High HP cars/trucks have been surviving on less for years. Think Ford seen and opportunity to make a little money hence the required oil. But I am sure a oil guru can correct me.

Motorcraft 5W-50 is great for the added heat protection.

:hide:

The Motorcraft 5W50 oil I received from K-man has the gold cap and it's the B-spec oil.

I'm looking at two bottles as we "speak" B-spec bottle has a gold -yellow cap and clearly says"highest level of performance "on the front label and says B spec on the rear label.

A-spec bottle has a black cap and does not indicate "highest level of performance" on the label and clearly says Aspec on the rear label . Ck it out at a dealer

Mine says the same front and back as yours, with black cap. B-SPEC.

Defintely prefer Mobile 1 synthetic against any Pennzoil product. Here is a link to a US distributor- :redcard:

http://store.avlube.com/mobil15w50.html

Also is worth researching to learn whose product that Ford is pouring into the Motorcraft containers... :headscratch:

Mobil 1 5w50 is available almost worldwide.... except for the USA. It's totally lame.

Defintely prefer Mobile 1 synthetic against any Pennzoil product. Here is a link to a US distributor- :redcard:

Also is worth researching to learn whose product that Ford is pouring into the Motorcraft containers... :headscratch:

Good Find there on the Mobil-1

Comes out to around $7.70 a quart including the shipping to NJ.

Here is an e-mail I got from Royal Purple

""" There are very few choices for the 5W50 API SM rated oil that is suggested by Ford for this performance vehicle.

Go to http://eolcs.api.org and you can search for this grade and see that the only choices are few and far between in the USA.

We recommend using our RP XPR 10W40 or RP XPR 20W50. This is what we use in the Koneggseig for the last 6 years which has a supercharged 5.4L V8 just like the GT500.

These oils are far more robust and will protect the engine better than the SM rated oils suggested.

But - if your concern is 'Warranty', why not use the Ford Motorcraft to dot all the i's and cross all the t's to not give Ford and the dealer any hint of a reason to not honor warranty, even have them do the oil changes for documentation purposes. """

I went to the link above and selected SAE viscosity grade then the grade. The list is extensive.

Enjoy...

Just had my oil changed, with the proper oil at a dealership for $77 (Wickstrom in Barrington IL). I think I will stick with a dealer. If they screw something up, it is on them. Thats only about $15 more than the materials alone. I also requested to see the oil before and kept the extra 1/2 quart.

$30 a year for me to document my maintenance for the 7 year warranty is worth it for me.

The dealer even said they had a few cases of the oil in stock. Drive in - drive out, no wait or appointment needed. I even watched them do the oil change.

ChrisSD and others-

It doesn't really matter where the stock starts from; it is the purity of the PAO base that counts. If you start with a thick crude and crack it enough so that the PAOs make up 99.99% while someone else starts with methane/ethane/propane or some other blend and ends up with a PAO % of 99.98 guess what, I'll take the the "dino" based oil.

I don't have a GT500, just a GT/SC and I happen to use 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W 40 and 1.5 qts of their 5W-40 turbo diesel oil and I rest very well at night - well, at least I don't worry about oil related engine failures.... :happy feet:

I also would never let anyone else change my oil in my car. Just too many rookies assigned to that job.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note that I placed an order with AV Lubricants late last week and received 6 cases of Mobil 1 5w50 synthentic yesterday, well packaged and as described. Will not hesitate to do business with these folks again.

ChrisSD and others-

It doesn't really matter where the stock starts from; it is the purity of the PAO base that counts. If you start with a thick crude and crack it enough so that the PAOs make up 99.99% while someone else starts with methane/ethane/propane or some other blend and ends up with a PAO % of 99.98 guess what, I'll take the the "dino" based oil.

I don't have a GT500, just a GT/SC and I happen to use 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W 40 and 1.5 qts of their 5W-40 turbo diesel oil and I rest very well at night - well, at least I don't worry about oil related engine failures.... :happy feet:

I also would never let anyone else change my oil in my car. Just too many rookies assigned to that job.

Mobile 1 5W50 is not compliant with the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec.

It exceeds it. Don't fall pray to the spec game. It's a money marker for Ford.

Castrol also won't pay to "certify" their oil at the elusive B spec but their paperwork states it exceeds it. The bottle says A.

The difference between A & B, or SL and SM is the amount of zinc phosphate,which protects the catalytic converters. The ZnPhos also protects tappets on start-up in early cars,like my GTO.I dont think either would affect engine wear, but IMHO I sleep better knowing Ive got the Motorcraft B oil in my car.There have been posted on the forum very detalied analysis of the oil

Like many others, have researched the issue and found the following links containing information of interest.

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_5W-50.pdf

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/index.cfm

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/pub/070308_ACEA_sequences_2007_LD_and_HD.pdf

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1226625

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

For me since I plan on eventually modifying my Shelby with induction upgrades in order to improve engine performance, I am sure that Ford would void my warranty. If that does happen, I will replace the engine with an aluminum block built with hotter split duration cams and will Extrude Hone the cylinder heads.

http://www.extrudehone.com/auto/auto-performance.php

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=106-CAMXER

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2010-shelby-gt500-supercharger-upgrades-whipple-2-9l-kits-c-5711_7530_7532_7533/lethal-performance-700rwhp-2-9l-supercharger-package-p-29983

That said, it is apparant that Ford is using their own 'in house' specifications and coded jargon in order to promote the sales of a refined synthentic blend (likely made by one of the majors either XOM, COP, or CVS) packaged under their

own Motocraft label likely to "enhance profitibility" and ensure "compliance" of their customers to legalistic warranty requirements.

For those whom are staying stock and believe that Ford will act in good faith in the unlikely event that the warranty will need to be used, it is understandable why it would be prudent to stick with the Ford product. Others, like myself whom chose to rebel and customize our cars, the less expensive and higher rated synthetics are a better option. Either point of view is understandable, just depends upon your own risk tolerance.

Rodney Michel, Petroleum Engineer, TBP

[quote name=BDrool' dath

te='09 December 2009 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1260417179' post='865307]

Yeah, but does this mobil 1 meet the "B" spec? I've been to the mobil site and can't seem to find the spec.

Like many others, have researched the issue and found the following links containing information of interest.

I'll probably get flammed, but ere is an excellent thread to flog this discussion some more.

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/2007-2010-shelby-mustangs/9848-engine-oil.html

B spec ( SM ) has reduced ZDDP for prolonged catalytic converter life. That's it. A spec ( SL ) will actually promote BETTER durability. It's better oil. Solution: remove the cats and run whatever 5w50 you want. Don't let Ford's weird specifications cause you too much grief =D

Use group IV ( Mobil1 5w50 ) or group V ( Redline 5w50 ) in your Shelby and enjoy much lower engine wear than a group III like Motorcraft provides.

FWIW

Did a little reading HERE. Snippet below:

The latest API service standard designation is SM for gasoline automobile and light-truck engines. The SM standard refers to a group of laboratory and engine tests, including the latest series for control of high-temperature deposits. Current API service categories include SM, SL and SJ for gasoline engines. All previous service designations are obsolete, although motorcycle oils commonly still use the SF/SG standard.

All the current gasoline categories (including the obsolete SH), have placed limitations on the phosphorus content for certain SAE viscosity grades (the xW-20, xW-30) due to the chemical poisoning that phosphorus has on catalytic converters. Phosphorus is a key anti-wear component in motor oil and is usually found in motor oil in the form of Zinc_dithiophosphate. Each new API category has placed successively lower phosphorus limits, and this has created a controversial issue of backwards compatibility with much older engines, especially engines with sliding tappets. API, and ILSAC, which represents most of the worlds major automobile/engine manufactures, states API SM/ILSAC GF-4 is fully backwards compatible, and it is noted that one of the engine tests required for API SM, the Sequence IVA, is a sliding tappet design to test specifically for cam wear protection. {emphasis supplied}

Get rid of your cats and load up on A spec (if you can find it). :)

Archived