TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil change - ? wrong oil?

keb

Took my car into the dealer today for its first oil change. It may be unnecessary, but I always change the oil at around 500 miles.

First, I had to convince them that it needed full synthetic...and then once it is done I noticed they put in 5w-20, not 5w-50.

I called them, and they said it would be fine?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Took my car into the dealer today for its first oil change. It may be unnecessary, but I always change the oil at around 500 miles.

First, I had to convince them that it needed full synthetic...and then once it is done I noticed they put in 5w-20, not 5w-50.

I called them, and they said it would be fine?

Any thoughts?

I don't know if it will be "fine" but if it were me I would have them put in the correct oil per the manufacturers specs.

What is it with these dealers?

Good, glad everyone agrees with me. I'll get the oil swapped out asap. Actually, the quickest way if for me to just do it myself tonight. I will pick up the oil tonight and swap it out. If you want things done right, well you know what they say...

I called my Ford dealer to make arrangements for my first oil change. I told them that I had a GT500 and it used their 5w50 synthetic oil. They said that they would order 7 quarts of oil and the filter then call me to set up an appointment. After the oil change I asked for the half quart that should be left over since the car takes 6.5 quarts with a filter change. The guy at the counter went back to get the half quart. When he came back he said that the tech told him that the car took all 7 quarts. I didn’t say anything, just drove home, which was 1 mile. I checked the oil and it was just below the bottom of the hole in the dipstick. I checked it again the next day and it was just above the level of the day before. For peace of mind I will do my own oil changes from now on.

It is absolutely NOT fine. Call the dealer and tell them you are waiting for the flatbed to come pick up your car.

+ infinity.

I would show them the specifications in the owners manual then ask them to provide in writing that they will be responsible for any damages and or engine replacement in the event you have problems.

Just read LuisA response....even better.

That too.

No WAY, don't leave it in there. :nonono:

I called my Ford dealer to make arrangements for my first oil change. I told them that I had a GT500 and it used their 5w50 synthetic oil. They said that they would order 7 quarts of oil and the filter then call me to set up an appointment. After the oil change I asked for the half quart that should be left over since the car takes 6.5 quarts with a filter change. The guy at the counter went back to get the half quart. When he came back he said that the tech told him that the car took all 7 quarts. I didn’t say anything, just drove home, which was 1 mile. I checked the oil and it was just below the bottom of the hole in the dipstick. I checked it again the next day and it was just above the level of the day before. For peace of mind I will do my own oil changes from now on.

I do my oil changes at a small shop, the owner is the only one who touches my cars........he first does the 1/2 quart, looks at it, makes sure it is exactly 1/2 quart, caps it and puts it away. He then pours the other 6 quarts........and he allows me to help him, with oil changes, with drive shafts, with springs, with watts link........nice guy and I get to see everything that is being done to my car.

When it comes to oil changes, the techs assigned to do the work are probably not the sharpest tool in the shed. Too many things to go wrong with this simple maintenance task. BTW, the correct oil weight is imprinted on the oil filler cap - there's no need to look it up and there's no excuse for putting in the wrong weight.

This is not the first instance I've heard of where the wrong weight oil was put into our 5.4L engines. It would not surprise me if there are a few GT500s out there with 5W20 oil running through their veins unbeknownst to their owners.

Therefore I choose to do my own oil changes, which I actually enjoy because it's simple and I know it's going to be done right.

Yeah, I like to do my oil changes myself.

They lured me in saying my first oil change was only $9. Of course, that was with conventional oil, which they were at first going to put in my car until I spoke up and said it was supposed to be full synthetic. I guess I should have said '''5w-50''', but since it says that on the oil filler cap, I thought it was self explanatory.

Needless to say, $62 for the wrong oil.

What bothers me the most is that when I called to discuss it with the service adviser, he said - don't worry, it's fine!

I bet if I put 5w-20 in the car and blew the motor, if they knew that I had put in the wrong oil, it would be more then enough to deny any warranty claim

kb

btw - I bet there are shelbys out there with 5-w20. I decided just to change it myself tonight. I called the parts department at the same dealership and they don't carry the oil. They had to get it from a different dealership. Get this, only sold by the case at $108 bucks.

They lured me in saying my first oil change was only $9. Of course, that was with conventional oil, which they were at first going to put in my car until I spoke up and said it was supposed to be full synthetic. I guess I should have said '''5w-50''', but since it says that on the oil filler cap, I thought it was self explanatory.

What bothers me the most is that when I called to discuss it with the service adviser, he said - don't worry, it's fine!

I bet if I put 5w-20 in the car and blew the motor, if they knew that I had put in the wrong oil, it would be more then enough to deny any warranty claim

kb

btw - I bet there are shelbys out there with 5-w20. I decided just to change it myself tonight. I called the parts department at the same dealership and they don't carry the oil. They had to get it from a different dealership. Get this, only sold by the case at $108 bucks.

That's BS. They owe you that oil! I get it 7 quarts at a time from my local dealer. Takes a couple days. Best thing I did was become friends with the local parts guy. Gives me everything at a discount. I give him business with oil/filters for the car and truck and other stuff that comes up.

kb

Now that's a true sign of a dealership that just dont give a s*&^t!!! They most likely gave you the wrong oil, because thats what they had in stock. Look at it this way: It costed you $62 to not ever step foot in that place again! And bying it by the case only is BS. You should put the right oil in the car (i wouldnt buy it from them) and you should report this to Ford. JMO

They lured me in saying my first oil change was only $9. I called the parts department at the same dealership and they don't carry the oil. They had to get it from a different dealership. Get this, only sold by the case at $108 bucks.

My dealer offered my first oil change for free - turned it down; when I told the service advisor not to change the oil, I heard him mumble "I don't blame you".

Got a coupon from Checker Auto Parts offering Castrol Syntec for $4.99/qt; I know they have it in 5W50. Been using the over-priced Motorcraft oil til now - might have to make a switch.

I like doing the oil changes myself too. There's a certain "satisfaction" that comes from it.

Ahhhh, nothing like connecting with my baby ;)

I would actually encourage everyone do do their own oil changes. If anything... gives you reason to submerse yourself in a testosterone environment and drink beer.

:yup:

Was going to do my oil with castrol 5w-50 but guess what, castrol doesn't make the "-B" spec oil. Sucks, I can't seem to find anyone in Utah that sells, the -B, it outsite a dealership. Very few manufactures make it. There is something about the -B spec that is required by Ford because of the S\C's.

Price and availability

I can't understand that it's much of an issue where must of us spent $42k+ (for the most part) for a Shelby.

Guys, just put what Ford says to put in them. If you're griping about finding a cheaper oil to put in such a nice and well built machine, then 'nough said - why risk it.

IMHO, of course.

It is my understanding that castrol syntec 5w50 does meet the "B" spec. but castrol refuses to pay for the testing to certify it because the market for it is so small. I use it.

So they say to get someone to buy. However their bottles only go to the -A spec. Is my 15G's+ motor worth their word? Until I see it in writing to use as proof...-B spec only, whoever wants to make it at a fair price.

So they say to get someone to buy. However their bottles only go to the -A spec. Is my 15G's+ motor worth their word? Until I see it in writing to use as proof...-B spec only, whoever wants to make it at a fair price.

I don't blame you, I don't worry about it. If they are not telling the truth the worst that can happen is it will harm the cats in high mileage cars. It will absolutely not harm your engine. Note the Ford GT (supercar) does not require "B" spec. It's has basically the same engine.

If you want "B" spec thats fine, I'm just throwing in my .02

I can't understand that it's much of an issue where must of us spent $42k+ (for the most part) for a Shelby.

Guys, just put what Ford says to put in them. If you're griping about finding a cheaper oil to put in such a nice and well built machine, then 'nough said - why risk it.

IMHO, of course.

True enough..but nothing wrong with being thrifty, if possible. Not all of us have money coming out of the wazoo.

However..the good thing is that the oil should last 5,000 miles...and really it's almost like two oil changes in one compared to years past.

I would show them the specifications in the owners manual then ask them to provide in writing that they will be responsible for any damages and or engine replacement in the event you have problems.

Just read LuisA response....even better.

I don`t think you need to pull out the owners manual just show them the oil cap they had to remove to install the oil it tells you what kind of oil to use. :doh:

It is my understanding that castrol syntec 5w50 does meet the "B" spec. but castrol refuses to pay for the testing to certify it because the market for it is so small. I use it.

According to the Syntec Product Data Sheet, their 5W50 exceeds Ford WSS-M2C931-B. The bottles on the store shelves still say WSS-M2C931-A.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_inter..._syntec_usa.pdf

I recently had the dealership put the wrong oil in my car too. Fortunately they called me before I got too far away and let me know. They were pretty insistent that I bring the car back ASAP.

I was a little upset that they made the mistake, but to their credit they caught it and let me know. They made it right and I only put about 8 miles on the car.

My dealer has done my first 2 oil changes, both times with exactly 6-1/2 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5w-50. They give me the extra 1/2 quart to take home with me...

My advice to you all is to mark your dipstick as soon as you're on a fresh oil change of 6-1/2 quarts, so you will know where your oil level should be. Then use that extra 1/2 qt to maintain your level at that mark. DO NOT trust the dipstick, they are all different, and if you overfill your oil to get to the upper "full" mark on the dipstick you could cause more damage than good.

Archived