TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil change - ? wrong oil?

keb

FWIW

Did a little reading HERE. Snippet below:

Get rid of your cats and load up on A spec (if you can find it). :)

I'd like to use A spec Mobil 1 but not if its gonna degrade my cats and i"ll end up having to pay to replace 'em.. Live in a state (MA) that requires annual exhaust testing so there's no place to hide.

Anyone have any idea how much risk i'd be taking to destroying the cats by using the A spec Mobil 1? Should I be seriously concerned?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to use A spec Mobil 1 but not if its gonna degrade my cats and i"ll end up having to pay to replace 'em.. Live in a state (MA) that requires annual exhaust testing so there's no place to hide.

Anyone have any idea how much risk i'd be taking to destroying the cats by using the A spec Mobil 1? Should I be seriously concerned?

haha, since:

(1) nobody knows what mysterious concoction goes into transforming A spec into B spec; and

(2) nobody in the oil business or on the face of the planet (save Ford) uses such terminology; and

(3) Ford's B spec is API Service SM and Mobil 1's 0W-50 is also API Service SM,

how'd you come to the conclusion that the Mobil 1 oil is A spec or any spec for that matter? Why couldn't it skip over A and B and go right to C spec? ;)

Just curious, lets say you were to use Mobile 1 or Redline Oil for a prolonged period of time, how long would it take for the Spec A to effect the cats performance or they needed replacement?

From what I can tell, porsche has recommended Mobil 1 oil for its engines, all of which are cat equipped with no problems so unless there is something very different about the ford cats, its likely safe to go with the Mobil 1. It may be a bit of a trade off as the Mobil 1 is likely better for engine longevity but harder on the cats. Unless its gonna destroy the cats in short order (which sounds very unlikely), the Mobil 1 is probably a better oil for the engine. Curiously, some ford dealerships apparently stock it and use it.

Has anyone tried?????

ROUSH Motor Oil Meets GT500 Standards Did you realize that the ROUSH® 5W-50 Motor Oil is just one of three on the market that meet the standards set by the Ford Motor Company for the Shelby GT500? This fully synthetic ROUSH® Oil exceeds API Service SM and meets the elusive Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B for the GT500.

Specifically blended by the chemists at Valvoline with oversight by Jack Roush, the ROUSH® Motor Oil is the best choice for GT500 owners because of the superior heat protection from the premium base oils and additives; greater abrasion reduction due to the specific anti-wear additives; and reduced deposit reduction thanks to additional detergents and dispersants.

http://blog.roushper...-standards.html

From what I can tell, porsche has recommended Mobil 1 oil for its engines, all of which are cat equipped with no problems

So does Mercedes Benz.

And the ZR-1 Corvette with the LT-5 did too (not sure if they still do).

And they all run CAT's.

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue/White GT500

haha, since:

(1) nobody knows what mysterious concoction goes into transforming A spec into B spec; and

(2) nobody in the oil business or on the face of the planet (save Ford) uses such terminology; and

(3) Ford's B spec is API Service SM and Mobil 1's 0W-50 is also API Service SM,

how'd you come to the conclusion that the Mobil 1 oil is A spec or any spec for that matter? Why couldn't it skip over A and B and go right to C spec? ;)

First,hope you get your car for Christmas--on the A vs B spec.If you go on their website you'll see there is less Zinc phosphtae in the B spec,so theres not much mystery in what the difference is.I cant find it,but when i looked into the 2 specs, theres a longetivty issue with the cats, and I think it was 100k miles if you use the A. As i said i an earlier note the B spec is a kiler for older,hiogh compression engines.It cause premature wear during starup on the tappets to the point where engines will crater.So if you have an old 428 et al, stick with the A--its made under the VR brand with Valvoline

First,hope you get your car for Christmas--on the A vs B spec.If you go on their website you'll see there is less Zinc phosphtae in the B spec,so theres not much mystery in what the difference is.I cant find it,but when i looked into the 2 specs, theres a longetivty issue with the cats, and I think it was 100k miles if you use the A. As i said i an earlier note the B spec is a kiler for older,hiogh compression engines.It cause premature wear during starup on the tappets to the point where engines will crater.So if you have an old 428 et al, stick with the A--its made under the VR brand with Valvoline

Thanks Bob. Yep, everything I read indicated that the A spec (SL) had higher ZDDP content than B spec (SM) oil. But according to what I read, that's true of all SL and SM oils. I'm pretty sure the reason there's no more A spec is because API Service SM has replaced API Service SL.

Anyway, I'm not gonna get too worked up over whatever the price to change oil in the Shelby. After all, I'm used to paying outrageous BMW rates for 7 quarts of LL01 oil, their drop-in filter, and new crush washer.

Archived