TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Restoration of 1987 CSX #701

Cougar1969

I am in the process of restoring CSX #701. I am doing it while keeping the car drivable. Currently I have it tore down to do the paint and body work. Had a friend of mine back into my passenger door which prompted me to remove the front sheet metal for the paint work. I am also updating the front suspension due to the passenger control arm being cracked and I also found a big crack in the front frame cross member under the radiator support.

Anyway, I thought this would be a good place to due a little build log on this car.

Brian.

post-26508-1258398068_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1258398078_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1258398097_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1258398296_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1258398306_thumb.jpg

A little history......at least my history anyway.

I bought this car 10 years ago for my wife to drive to college (we were engaged at the time). It was sitting in a field commonly used by owners for selling their cars. I called the owner who told me that he bought the car from a car lot auction that went out of business for his son. His son decided that he wanted something bigger and did not want the car. I took it for a test drive and gave him an offer of $650.00 which he accepted. The only thing wrong with it at the time was that the charging system was not working. Traced that down to a bad regulator. At the time I had no idea that the Shelby was as rare as it is. I just thought it was another shadow that was "dressed up" a little. Plus my soon to be wife had a shadow that she wrecked, so parts were available. It was not until several months later that I researched the Shelby CSX on the net and found out the jewel that I lucked into.

I have not driven this car very much. My wife only drove it for part of a term of college before she got pregnant with our daughter. After that it pretty much sat out in the weather and was driven by me on rare occasions. The odometer had 99K on it when we got it, it now has just over 101K. So just under 3000 miles in 10 years. I keep the car at my parents place because they have the room and a shop where I can work on it. It is also the place where I work as an A&P mechanic wrenching on airplanes. I only decided recently to do some restoration work on it because out of all the other projects that I have, it needs the least amount of work to complete. I also own two 1969 Mercury Cougars, a couple of Datsun Z's and a 1941 Ford pickup. My dad also is part owner of the truck and owns a completely restored 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente, so I am not a complete rookie when it comes down to doing this type of work.

Anyway, currently I have a new set of lower control arms out of a 90 Caravan that I finished cleaning up and installing new ball joints and Poly Bushings in today. (Thanks to Johnny at Poly Bushings for the bushings and help over the phone) I will hopefully be getting them installed into the car this weekend and have it back off the jack stands. I can then get it over to the main shop to do a weld repair on the frame crack and start to button up the front end. Afterwords, off to paint the clip and body. I will paint the fenders, hood, doors and anything else that I can take off the car off of the car. I paint quite a bit in my business and am pretty picky about how it should be done. I do not like to just tape things off when it can be done nicely with just a little more work. I have a few pictures of the control arms that I will post here, the old passenger arm has a pretty good crack in it that may interest people in seeing. It is the main reason for going with the heavier Caravan ones.

Brian.

post-26508-1258609468_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1258609468_thumb.jpg

i wonder if it wasnt hit or in an accident some time to crack the frame and control arm just wondering.

I have thought the same thing, except that the only body damage on the car is just behind the driver side door, and it is a real small dent....I think it was run off the road and ran over some fairly big rocks.....there is other evidence under the car to support that theory also.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

I have not been able to work on the car as much as I like due to Holidays and my work schedule. But I am progressing slowly.

The Caravan control arms are installed, they took a little coaching with a dead blow hammer, but they are in and tight. Overall a great update compared to the originals.

I have been going over the engine compartment and replacing all of the worn out vacuum hoses and such. I also discovered that my turbo's coolant and oil supply lines were both leaking at the hose fittings. The coolant hose was an easy fix, just a 2 inch piece of hose and a couple of clamps. The oil hose however, took some fabricating. I know that there are better aftermarket parts, but I just cant afford to do them right now so i build up a hose out of some spare aircraft hardware that I had laying around the shop. Utilizing the ends of the original hard line, I cut them off and flared the ends installing about a 12 inch long piece of Aeroquip and some old end fittings that were in good serviceable condition. Pics below. As you can tell in the pics, I had to replace one of the straight unions with a 90 degree fitting in order to get the line to hook up right. Tell me what you think of the final result.

I have welded the front crack with the wire feed. So far I have not been able to clean up the weld or make the overlay piece yet. Hopefully I can get that done this week.

Sorry about the crappy pictures All I have to work with is my camera on my cell phone, and the light in the shop I am using is so bad that I have to shine a LED drop light at whatever I am taking pictures of in order to get a half way decent one.

Brian.

post-26508-1259811732_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1259811743_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1259811749_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1259811732_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1259811743_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1259811749_thumb.jpg

Finally got smart and grabbed the shop camera for some better pictures...Took a few shots of the installed control arm.

Also welded up the crack in the frame. The front section had some pretty thin spots and the weld looks like crap, the rear section turned out much better. I will be welding a triangular patch plate over the crack to give it some more strength in that area.

Brian.

post-26508-1260073714_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073745_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073752_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073763_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073797_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073806_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073817_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073714_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073745_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073752_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073763_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073797_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073806_thumb.jpg

post-26508-1260073817_thumb.jpg

Grabber,

I am in White City, basically a suburb of Medford (Southern) Oregon. The car is out at my shop 13 miles from my house.

Steve,

Any chance you have some type of picture of the gusset on the 89. There used to be 2 of them running around here but I have not seen either in at least a couple of years now.

Thanks.

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas Everyone.....

Nothing new to report, It has been too cold to work on the Shelby in my un-heated shop. The freezing fog also puts a dampening on getting any type of paint work done.

Hope all of you have a wonderful holiday and a joyous new year....

Brian.

• 10 years later...

2009... hard to believe it has been that long ago... car has sat for that long, pretty sad.. but the good news is I am actually working on it.. But again, decided not to paint.. I just want to get it running and drivable again.. I’ll worry about paint maybe next winter.. Now that the kids are older it easier to get out of the house..

Speaking of kids, my son has been helping with the project.. and he has been a big help also... We trailered the car to his school where he replaces the clutch, throw out bearing and did a brake job with new pads and turned disks..

After we trailered it back home we got all the body panels back on and lined up for the most part... replaced the front hubs and did a rattle cam engine bay paint job... I removed the gas tank a few days ago and ordered a new one with a new pump, tank level sensor, fuel filter and seals for the injectors... the 11 year old gas just destroyed the tank and pump... hopefully in about two weeks we will be able to fire her up after the long slumber... then I will have to save up for a new set of tires and an alignment..

That’s all for now...

88747DEF-6CE3-4D14-B1F3-F04C7F182B00.jpeg

A1D6AAC6-8E48-47C0-ACD7-5F84403693B8.jpeg

60F0A5A3-85D7-4077-8198-A0A9E78F0928.jpeg

3E6B8C4A-E96D-4C0B-9857-E9438C995DDC.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Well... everything is together but the car refuses to start.. no spark.. I have replaced the power module, distributor pickup, gone through just about every wire there is between the logic and power modules... still no spark... I have fuel. Injectors are pulsing.. spark plugs are new, no spark... this thing is driving me nuts...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived