TEAM SHELBY FORUM

67 Convertible update

SGT/SC2873

This project started in Oct. of 2002. Everything has been off this car, soda blasted, cleaned, prepped, painted or powder-coated. During the last 7years, there was one year where no work was done on it all due to health reasons. (Dr. wouldn't let me use a torque wrench for year!) Anyway, I am fortunate enough to have a garage where I can just pull the door down and leave it so it's not like I have worked on it every year.

Going to pick it up tomorrow from the body shop who did the paint. They are finishing up the final panel alignments and touch up. They also offered to shoot entire w/ clear if I paid for the materials. They did the labor/prep for free. (He knows how much work I have put in this car and it will be shown). I'll take some pics tomorrow to update. Next will be the fun stuff like emblems, molding, etc on the exterior and probably the grille and headlamps. Then it will be time to go to the suspension shop as we are going to cut 1/2 front coil for a better stance and final alignment of frontend. Then the winshield and molding.

Once all that's done it will be time to start on the interior/conv. top. Just have to see how the "budget" goes. Did order a bunch of parts today that should be here Tuesday. Craig :happy feet: here are some pics prior to taking it to the shop.....

post-10682-1258322445_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258322454_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258322465_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258322488_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258322445_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258322454_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258322465_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258322488_thumb.jpg

Finally got around to picking up the 67 today and took some pics before I loaded her up. Really like the Matrix Clear they used. Also went ahead and had the glass guy just go by the shop to install the windshield. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend or next week to do some of the chrome trim. Monday it's off to the alignment shop.......

post-10682-1258691549_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258691560_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258691572_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258691582_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258691549_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258691560_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258691572_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1258691582_thumb.jpg

Years and years of work, so close now, hope it wasn't your ticker that Doc was treating you for-the excitment might be too much for it ;)

Looking good, more pics as you get em B)

Alan

Years and years of work, so close now, hope it wasn't your ticker that Doc was treating you for-the excitment might be too much for it ;)

Looking good, more pics as you get em B)

Alan

Ironically, it was! Guess he didn't like the idea of me pulling on a torque wrench w/ a wired up sternum :hysterical:

rained here all day so it was a good day to be in the garage installing molding/trim...here are some more pics....

IMG_23882.jpg

IMG_23872.jpg

IMG_23862.jpg

IMG_23852.jpg

IMG_23842.jpg

IMG_23912.jpg

IMG_23902.jpg

IMG_23892.jpg

She's looking sweet.. Makes me miss my 66 build even more!

Looking forward to seeing how this vert turns out. :lurk:

Ken

thanks Ken. Spent most of the day buffing chrome trim for the grill, painted the headlite buckets and sorting thru parts.......UPS man came today w/ new bumpers, brackets and gaurds, etc....looks like I've got some more work to do.....but at least it's starting to look like a car again....good thing I took a bunch of photo's and labeled everything when I tore it apart :hysterical: Craig

Car looks good. It looks like you and me are at the same junction( I haven't installed any trim back yet). I have the top installed and pulled the engine this week. Putting in a crate motor and having the trans rebuilt.

I'll try to get pics up myself. I like your color!

Car looks good. It looks like you and me are at the same junction( I haven't installed any trim back yet). I have the top installed and pulled the engine this week. Putting in a crate motor and having the trans rebuilt.

I'll try to get pics up myself. I like your color!

thanks. I rebuilt the 289 c code just because I wanted to keep everything as such. I would of much rather done the crate motor, but that will have to wait for the next project. I am not much on the color of this car, but again, that's what it was (frost turquoise) trying to keep it like it was. Marti Report even picked up the factory Sprint Package on the car. Craig

worked on car yesterday. Mocked up front bpr assy and rear bumper. Everything ready to go on rear so I installed that. Still have one bracket on the front assy to blast and powder coat then it will be ready for install. Did set the front buckets for head lites, so should get those finished up tomorrow. (taking a break today!)

Probably start on grill assy tomorrow too if weather is nice. Here are some shots...

post-10682-1259346863_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1259346872_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1259346883_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1259346892_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1259346902_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1259346912_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1259346934_thumb.jpg

thanks. I rebuilt the 289 c code just because I wanted to keep everything as such. I would of much rather done the crate motor, but that will have to wait for the next project. I am not much on the color of this car, but again, that's what it was (frost turquoise) trying to keep it like it was. Marti Report even picked up the factory Sprint Package on the car. Craig

Thats funny, mine has the Sprint package also and the luggage rack. I havent ordered the crate engine yet, thinking I should just re-do the 289 also, but Marti Report calls for a Lt Aqua interior and a 3 speed. I am changing the interior to Black because it's abetter combination with the black top and a Auto trans, so it won't be all original. This is why maybe the Crate wont matter, since it will be 90% back to specs.

Thats funny, mine has the Sprint package also and the luggage rack. I havent ordered the crate engine yet, thinking I should just re-do the 289 also, but Marti Report calls for a Lt Aqua interior and a 3 speed. I am changing the interior to Black because it's abetter combination with the black top and a Auto trans, so it won't be all original. This is why maybe the Crate wont matter, since it will be 90% back to specs.

that is interesting. This car calls for the deluxe 2 tone, light aqua/dark inserts. I would do it the way you want to as that is the one and only person you need to please. I love the idea of crate motors since they are pretty much plug and play these days. I know I spent $1500 on the 289 w/ me turning the wrenches and would not have even considered but for the fact I had worked on the motor before so I knew it was a solid 289 V8. Please post up some pics when you get a chance as I would love to see it. Should of posted sooner...had I known....I just sold a solid 289 V8 and C4 to a buddy for a real deal.....on the rag top, mine will have the white top which is a little better contrast w/ the frost turquoise. Craig

that is interesting. This car calls for the deluxe 2 tone, light aqua/dark inserts. I would do it the way you want to as that is the one and only person you need to please. I love the idea of crate motors since they are pretty much plug and play these days. I know I spent $1500 on the 289 w/ me turning the wrenches and would not have even considered but for the fact I had worked on the motor before so I knew it was a solid 289 V8. Please post up some pics when you get a chance as I would love to see it. Should of posted sooner...had I known....I just sold a solid 289 V8 and C4 to a buddy for a real deal.....on the rag top, mine will have the white top which is a little better contrast w/ the frost turquoise. Craig

The Engine that i pulled this week is a 302, I tore it down and the block is in great shape, looks like its been redone. I plan on selling the car after I am done, so I can finish the mach 1. I pretty much am doing restorations on the side. I figure if i can turn a profit on each vehicle, I can then by a 67 GT500 :) I have to wish.

The Engine that i pulled this week is a 302, I tore it down and the block is in great shape, looks like its been redone. I plan on selling the car after I am done, so I can finish the mach 1. I pretty much am doing restorations on the side. I figure if i can turn a profit on each vehicle, I can then by a 67 GT500 :) I have to wish.

302 is even better! I use to try and make a profit but gave up on that years ago. By the time I figure what I spent in parts and my labor (that never seems to get paid) I was always upside down. So now I just build for my own peace of mind...and I don't add anything up!!! :hysterical:

302 is even better! I use to try and make a profit but gave up on that years ago. By the time I figure what I spent in parts and my labor (that never seems to get paid) I was always upside down. So now I just build for my own peace of mind...and I don't add anything up!!! :hysterical:

Very true!!

• 3 weeks later...

well, it turned out to be a nice day here today, so I spent the whole day cleaning, prepping and sandblasting the convertible top frame. What a job! Got everything down to metal and cleaned again. Had to drill our rivets for tack strip on #1 bow and remove tack strip/stapels from #4 bow. Plan on spraying w/ etching primer tomorrow evening. Need to get it ready and installed back in car as upholstery man is expecting the car next Monday morning to install top. Says he will have car all next week as he will work on several jobs and not just mine. Should be worth it as this guy doesn't advertise at all. All his work comes from recommendations by others. Craig

• 1 month later...

well, after all the weather delays and other issues, finally took the car to the Upholstery shop and dropped off Sunday afternoon. Much to my surprise, he called today and the car is ready! He originally told me at least a week as he stays so busy...now I just have to make time tomorrow to go and pick it up....

post-10682-126465148841_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126465150857_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126465153254_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126465148841_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126465150857_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126465153254_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived