TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is this a widespread problem

Stidog

I took the car out today, on my way home, I hit the highway. Engine was warm, and I accelerated hard, about 8lbs of boost through 3rd gear to 85mph. When I went to exit the highway, I hit the ramp and kicked the car into neutral, as I hit the corner, the steering didn't respond that well, I looked at the dash and rpm was at 0, and the idiot lights were staring at me. I restarted and made it home no problem.

Car is stock with just a K&N CAI, and flows. I have about 20k on the odie. It might have done this once before, but that was at 20mph in traffic. That time I figured I did something wrong, since I had just bought the car.

Is this a known issue with the GT500? Thanks in advance.

I took the car out today, on my way home, I hit the highway. Engine was warm, and I accelerated hard, about 8lbs of boost through 3rd gear to 85mph. When I went to exit the highway, I hit the ramp and kicked the car into neutral, as I hit the corner, the steering didn't respond that well, I looked at the dash and rpm was at 0, and the idiot lights were staring at me. I restarted and made it home no problem.

Car is stock with just a K&N CAI, and flows. I have about 20k on the odie. It might have done this once before, but that was at 20mph in traffic. That time I figured I did something wrong, since I had just bought the car.

K&N CAI? Do you have a tune on that puppy with the CAI? If not could lead to lean condition that may/will cause engine damage over long hard throttle. Lot's of topics on this issue. I had just a K&N CAI, no tune and removed it, went back to stock for right now until I can afford to do it right with a J/L CAI and tune.

Steve

Not sure how many miles, I bought the car a couple of weeks ago, and it was on there. I've zipped around myself for about 400 miles. The car did come with the stock airbox (in the trunk not installed). I guess I'll pull the maf, inspect it, and clean it. I can throw the stock box back on np.

edited for clarity

I wonder if it was reflashed back to stock when you bought it?

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Purhaps you should take it in and have the stock airbox and tune installed. Start from a known good stock config. Then drive it for a while stock to see if the problem reappears.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Purhaps you should take it in and have the stock airbox and tune installed. Start from a known good stock config. Then drive it for a while stock to see if the problem reappears.

You take that into a dealer as is , and that could void your warranty if there's any engine damage now or in the future. Before you take that in you need to figure out what tune you have and put the stock air box back on. Did you get a hand held tuner with the car ? A K&N CAI without a tune is not good news .Sure hope that CAI was not on there for 20k with no tune .

Take it over to farmdog's driving easy easy. Park it (away from the wife). Order a new CAI, 2.6" pulley,idler pulley, and SCT3 tuner from JLT. You then buy some meat and beer and put the stuff on one evening. Run it around the block, take it home, don't tell the little woman.

Problem solved

CAI + No Tune = Bad. Clean MAF, install stock CAI, and reflash. Once satisfied, then install a good CAI, i.e., JLT, C&L, etc., and tune from a reputable tuner, i.e., BamaChips, Brenspeed, etc. See link for CAI comparisons: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techartic...sons/index.html

Very nice comparison of CAIs. Is there a more current one for the 07-09 GT500?

I had this happen to me when I had an 03 mach1. I was told its suppose to do that.. the computer reads the sudden drop in rpms as a "catastrophic failure" (crash ect) and shuts the engine off. Just dont put it in neutral, or when you do, keep your foot on the gas a bit to keep the rmps from dropping so quickly

I had this happen to me when I had an 03 mach1. I was told its suppose to do that.. the computer reads the sudden drop in rpms as a "catastrophic failure" (crash ect) and shuts the engine off. Just dont put it in neutral, or when you do, keep your foot on the gas a bit to keep the rmps from dropping so quickly

This is a common problem in the mach1. This was not a result of this. The problem is the brake boosting system gets its power from the vacuum of the car. When put in neutral and/or applying brakes it utilizesthe car is not getting enough air as it goes from a pressure to vacuum in the egr and starves the engine leading to the engine stopping and loss of assisted steering and brakes. There was a spacer made that changed the egr valve hole that fixed the problem. I had one on my 03 and never had the problem again.

Roger

Archived