TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tire pressure

Torched10

I was thinking the 2010 had a tire pressure monitoring system since tyheres no spare, but dont see any reference to it in the manual. If it has one, can you push a button and see what the pressure is, or is it just an idiot light and tells you you're getting a flat

A light comes on if your tire pressure drops below the required pressure. You can do a systems check but that will just tell you things are okay.

thanks--where does the light show up--did i miss it in the manuals,cant find anything on tire pressure

I was thinking the 2010 had a tire pressure monitoring system since tyheres no spare, but dont see any reference to it in the manual. If it has one, can you push a button and see what the pressure is, or is it just an idiot light and tells you you're getting a flat

An icon lights in the speedo and a written warning shows up in the tach message area. Happened to me last Sun. when I ran over something I did not see, when passing a slow car on the interstate. Put a 3" gash in the left rear tire...sealer of no help. Had to have a tow off the highway and a 100 mile trip, ea way home to get a winter tire that had just arrived from Tire Rack a couple weeks before. I will be keeping one of the spare front tires in the trunk from now on. First flat I ever had on the highway in almost 50 years of driving, and, of course, the first car I ever had without a spare!

BTW, even 2 stacked 4x6 boards under each wheel leading up to the tilt-bed tow truck did not prevent scraping the chin spoiler when loading my 2010 GT500. Fortunately, no visible damage was done.

An icon lights in the speedo and a written warning shows up in the tach message area. Happened to me last Sun. when I ran over something I did not see, when passing a slow car on the interstate. Put a 3" gash in the left rear tire...sealer of no help. Had to have a tow off the highway and a 100 mile trip, ea way home to get a winter tire that had just arrived from Tire Rack a couple weeks before. I will be keeping one of the spare front tires in the trunk from now on. First flat I ever had on the highway in almost 50 years of driving, and, of course, the first car I ever had without a spare!

BTW, even 2 stacked 4x6 boards under each wheel leading up to the tilt-bed tow truck did not prevent scraping the chin spoiler when loading my 2010 GT500. Fortunately, no visible damage was done.

thanks--good idea to have an extra tire at home.have you figured out how to fit the front tire in your trunk.Ive seen Grabber Orange had a good approach,but im not that talenetd mecahincally

thanks--good idea to have an extra tire at home.have you figured out how to fit the front tire in your trunk.Ive seen Grabber Orange had a good approach,but im not that talenetd mecahincally

I also saw Grabber's post on that subject, which is great if you have the talent and patience. I will eventually play around with dropping the front tire in the well and probably just lay the soft carpet over it, even though it will stick up a little. I have a box of cleaning supplies, etc. bungied into a corner that will hold the jack and pump, which I might eventually be able to use. If the spare bounces in the well too much, may look into a way to anchor it, but I doubt it will.

I also saw Grabber's post on that subject, which is great if you have the talent and patience. I will eventually play around with dropping the front tire in the well and probably just lay the soft carpet over it, even though it will stick up a little. I have a box of cleaning supplies, etc. bungied into a corner that will hold the jack and pump, which I might eventually be able to use. If the spare bounces in the well too much, may look into a way to anchor it, but I doubt it will.

Be careful with loose parts in the trunk.I had a jack handle push the quarter out on a GTO once.Dont know if a tire could do that,but if it could itd be ugly

I will eventually play around with dropping the front tire in the well and probably just lay the soft carpet over it, even though it will stick up a little. I have a box of cleaning supplies, etc. bungied into a corner that will hold the jack and pump, which I might eventually be able to use. If the spare bounces in the well too much, may look into a way to anchor it, but I doubt it will.

If you're going to keep the inflation kit in the car, why not just let all the air out of the tire so it will lay flat then fill it when you need it? In fact, you can probably stash your supplies under the tire if it's face up.

Just thinkin'.......

Phill Pollard

If you're going to keep the inflation kit in the car, why not just let all the air out of the tire so it will lay flat then fill it when you need it? In fact, you can probably stash your supplies under the tire if it's face up.

Just thinkin'.......

Phill Pollard

well, you need to keep the bead set on the wheel,so taking all the air out wont workPlus im pretty sure its the wheel itself that causes it not to fit in the tire well

well, you need to keep the bead set on the wheel,so taking all the air out wont workPlus im pretty sure its the wheel itself that causes it not to fit in the tire well

I've busted beads on literally thousands of tires in my life and believe me, that would be the *least* of my worries with a uninflated tire!

If it's the rim width (9 inches for the front?) then you're right, the point is moot. But if it's the two inches of sidewall that protrude out beyond the rim, it would flatten out and save you space.

Phill Pollard

I've busted beads on literally thousands of tires in my life and believe me, that would be the *least* of my worries with a uninflated tire!

If it's the rim width (9 inches for the front?) then you're right, the point is moot. But if it's the two inches of sidewall that protrude out beyond the rim, it would flatten out and save you space.

Phill Pollard

I checked the one stock front I have in the garage (have winter tires on, now, and the other front is in the trunk) and found the tire sticks out less than 1/4", total, from the rim. Explains why people complain about wheel damage when parking. So letting air out would not help much. But thanks for the suggestion.

I checked the one stock front I have in the garage (have winter tires on, now, and the other front is in the trunk) and found the tire sticks out less than 1/4", total, from the rim. Explains why people complain about wheel damage when parking. So letting air out would not help much. But thanks for the suggestion.

Ya, a quarter inch won't be enough to do squat for ya.

But I had a thought after I posted...what about a jack and tire wrench? Without them, you still have to wait for a tow.

BTW, my car has free towing service included with it. Is that just my dealer or is that a Ford thing?

Phill

Ya, a quarter inch won't be enough to do squat for ya.

But I had a thought after I posted...what about a jack and tire wrench? Without them, you still have to wait for a tow.

BTW, my car has free towing service included with it. Is that just my dealer or is that a Ford thing?

Phill

I bought a jack and wrench when I got the winter tires, planning ahead to having a spare. I do have the Ford raadside assistance plan, but a cop kinda pushed me to get going and he gave me the number of a local towing service (probably a relative!) so I did not get a chance to try the free service. Maybe next time...

A light comes on if your tire pressure drops below the required pressure. You can do a systems check but that will just tell you things are okay.

The TPMS is a joke!!! The only time mine ever let me know tire pressure was low, was when I was near flat on a rear tire. Now I check all 4 tires at least once a month, and they are always 3-4 lbs below what they should be. Don't trust the TPMS to tell you your pressure is low, check it yourself.

Now I check all 4 tires at least once a month, and they are always 3-4 lbs below what they should be. Don't trust the TPMS to tell you your pressure is low, check it yourself.

Silverghost,

Good recommendation. Many of these Shelby's sit idle for weeks, maybe months. Always best to have the proper pressure before "spirited" driving.

The TPMS is a joke!!! The only time mine ever let me know tire pressure was low, was when I was near flat on a rear tire. Now I check all 4 tires at least once a month, and they are always 3-4 lbs below what they should be. Don't trust the TPMS to tell you your pressure is low, check it yourself.

the tpms won't issue a warning until the tire pressure falls to 25% less than the recommended setting or appox. an 8 psi drop.

I've had to use the inflation kit in the past after blowing a tire out. The only way mine would work at all was by filling it with the fix-a-flat goop first, then the air.

So if this is the case for everyone else's kits, I can't imagine wanting to fill my deflated spare with that sticky crap, just to swap over in place of the blown out tire.

Just something else to consider before stuffing a deflated spare in the wheel well. Good luck.

Ken

I have one of my stock front wheels as a spare and it fits in the truck with no problems. The front wheel will fit on the rear if you need it for a spare.

In the well or just the trunk? If the well, did you have to remove part of the rear plastic liner to get the tire in? My spare front would not quite fit. Did not try to force it, though.

In the well or just the trunk? If the well, did you have to remove part of the rear plastic liner to get the tire in? My spare front would not quite fit. Did not try to force it, though.

Its in the well and almost fits flush. You can't really tell that it sticks up a little.

Thanks for the encouragement to check my tire pressure myself. I just thought that the monitoring system was pretty precise...all things considered...bu all tires were 5lbs low. EKK! All good now however. Once a month thing now for me.

Archived