TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cheapest mod ever... added stripes to the splitter...

Thanks Ken, not sure how it will hold up on the textured finish, but easy to re-do it if it doesn't... probably will sand it smooth and paint it if it ends up peeling off. the stripes were actually a few shades darker than the factory ones, but can't tell at all after they were installed, being down low and a few inches from the bumper stripes makes it look pretty stock to me...

I just stopped by a local vinyl sign place at lunch today, planned to have him cut me 9" wide stripes, but his sheet of silver was quite a bit darker than the factory stripes, so he handed me this roll of 3.5" wide silver that matched a little closer, and it worked out probably better than 9" wide strips would have, i used some paper to make templates first, and put them on in 2 peices per side, putting a overlapping seam on the front/top peak. I should have taken pics as i did it, but honestly wasn't even sure i would leave them on, just wanted to see how it would look. i did have to use the razor a little after they were on the car, so there may be some scratches in the splitter, but i also knew i would likely do the carbon fiber cover if this didn't work out...

I always thought this should have been done from the start. I follows the 60's cars including the stripe down the front valance.

The only thing holding me back from doing it is the lack of originality from the way it was made/delivered. I realize to some, that's not important. Drive it the way you want to.

It absolutely looks great.

I am going to do this mod on my BJ and will post some pictures, have some extra red stripe left, enough to do the bottom portion, if you don't like it, this will be easy to just pull off...

On the silver stripe correct color someone will chime in with the correct aftermarket color and brand and then mybe a deal could be worked out for a bulk purchase for our members.

GG

If you look on the SAI home page under gallery....check out the picture of one of the first GT-H's with the gold stripes on the splitter. It looks great.

Apparently it was considered.....at least on one unit (?)

I have to believe the reason for it not being considered long term was the textured finish.....although some GT-H had the center section of the splitter painted which might improve adhesion, while others disd not.

Agreed......even though this was in the GT-H gallery folder they might have been trying on different fascias for the GT-H........

Regardless, it shows that the concept was at least being evaluated.

Beyond the issue of the stripes possibly not adhering to the textured finish maybe it was decided that putting stripes that low on a rental car might have been useless as everyone would "curb" them and destroy the stripes.

When you think of the original 66 GT-H, putting the stripes on the front pan was a lot less riskier as the there was plenty of ground clearance.

I'm truly sorry to hijack this for a moment, but does anyone know how to properly remove the stripes?

I bought some new ones, had to buy the whole set, to replace a bad scratch on the bumper stripes. I'm debating having them painted one, but for $1,000 I could get more go fast or stop fast parts.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry again,

Jim

I'm truly sorry to hijack this for a moment, but does anyone know how to properly remove the stripes?

I bought some new ones, had to buy the whole set, to replace a bad scratch on the bumper stripes. I'm debating having them painted one, but for $1,000 I could get more go fast or stop fast parts.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry again,

Jim

I have removed stripes on a couple of SGTs and they are a royal pain in the butt because the vinyl is thin. Even with heat it will take time and most likely come off in small pieces. When you get frustrated with trying the heat and peel approach then do this...

Auto paint supply stores offer a SM rotory eraser that is used to remove vinyl graphics. It is basically a rubber wheel eraser (like art gum type) that you use on a drill. It does not harm the paint and will peel the stripes off. It makes a mess and takes some time but not as long as peeling by hand. When you are done just sweep up, use some goo gone (automotive safe), then wash your car good and you are done. If you want I can post a pic of the wheel tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about.

use a heat gun to get them nice and warm, and just peel them off, it'll probably leave some adhesive on the paint you'll need to clean off.

I have removed stripes on a couple of SGTs and they are a royal pain in the butt because the vinyl is thin. Even with heat it will take time and most likely come off in small pieces. When you get frustrated with trying the heat and peel approach then do this...

Auto paint supply stores offer a SM rotory eraser that is used to remove vinyl graphics. It is basically a rubber wheel eraser (like art gum type) that you use on a drill. It does not harm the paint and will peel the stripes off. It makes a mess and takes some time but not as long as peeling by hand. When you are done just sweep up, use some goo gone (automotive safe), then wash your car good and you are done. If you want I can post a pic of the wheel tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about.

Thank you both for your advise! Mrfarmdog, a picture would be great, it will help me as I search through the store for it. Thanks again,

Jim

Archived