TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AFCO Pro-Series Heat Exchanger with Dual 10" Fans

jared@lethal

Lethal Performance is proud to announce the new AFCO Pro-Series Dual Pass Heat Exchanger with DUAL 10" Spal Fans.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2010-shel...10-fans-p-30474

NEW AFCO UNIT WITH FANS

80280PRO.jpg

AFCOFtandBkStacked.jpg

'

NEW AFCO WIH FANS COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL AFCO WITHOUT FANS

AfcoOldNewStacked.jpg

As many know we were the ones to introduce the AFCO dual pass heat exchanger to the GT500 market. AFCO approached us several weeks ago letting us know that they've finally put together an upgraded unit with dual fans. They obviously know how important it is to keep up with the demand that our customers look for. As we've seen the dual fan heat exchanger has become a very popular unit. Continuous air across the fins of the heat exchanger help in lowering inlet air temps. This will also prevent you from losing power due to heat soak. The addition of (2) 10" Spal fans along with a larger core means business. This will be the largest heat exchanger for the 07-10 GT500 to this date.

If anyone has seen an AFCO product you know it's of the highest quality. The cores, welds and design are used in many high performance applications for both street and track use.

Lethal Performance has locked up the entire first batch and we're giving all of our customers a first shot at purchasing them. We expect to have them available by the end of this month. If you're on our mailing list you'll receive an email about the new AFCO heat exchanger tomorrow. If not you can find more info about this piece on our website or by giving us a call.

The best thing about the AFCO unit it that it's competitively priced at $669.95

When dealing with Roots or Twin Screw Superchargers there's always the issue of intake temps. When running the car hard and spinning the blower fast you create heat. Heat equals a loss in power as well as the possibility of damage to the engine. One way to help reduce these intake temps and the risk of damage is to add more fluid into the intercooler system which in turn helps lower intake temps by disiapating heat.

Whether it be on the street or at the track the warmer the car runs the more timing gets pulled. In addition to that an excessive amount of heat known as heat soak starts to take place. This keeps the car down on power and running less efficient. This again can be helped by adding more fluid into the cooling system. The temperature of the intercooler fluid will lower and cool down faster in between runs.

Here is a rundown of AFCO Pro-Series heat exchanger vs. Stock:

Core Size

AFCO core is 10" tall x 22.44" wide x 2" thick.

Stock is 6" tall x 23" wide x 1.25" thick.

Height:

Stock 6"

AFCO 10"

Width: Stock 23"

AFCO 22.5"

Thickness: Stock 1.25"

AFCO 2.0"

Front Face Area

Stock 138 sq. in.

AFCO 202 sq. in. (50% increase)

Overall Surface Area:

Stock 690 sq. in.

AFCO 1616 sq. in. (135% increase)

Fan Type:

Dual 10" Spal Fans which provide up to 3000cfm combined.

Here's some of the features of the AFCO Pro-Series Heat Exchanger for the Shelby GT500 and S197 Mustang GT:

* Fits 2007-2010 Shelby GT500 and 05-10 Mustang GT's

* High efficient double pass design vs. OEM single pass

* DUAL 10" Spal Fans with up to 3000cfm.

* Increased HP do to a dramatic intake temperature drop compared to stock

* Quicker cool down times in between runs at the track

* Helps prevent heat soak and detonation due to increased intake temps

* Simple do-it-yourself bolt on installation

* Furnace brazed core (no epoxies) with beautifully tig welded tank construction

Well the Shelby one only advertises 708 CFM for one fan for a total of around 1400 CFM for boths fans. This one advertises up to 3000 CFM which is why I asked the question in my above post what does "up to 3000 CFM mean"? According to the SHelby site 1400 CFM is equal to around 140-150 MPH of wind speed. I mean if the AFCO gets 3000 CFM that would be equal to 300 MPH of wind speed which is kind of hard to believe.

Well the Shelby one only advertises 708 CFM for one fan for a total of around 1400 CFM for boths fans. This one advertises up to 3000 CFM which is why I asked the question in my above post what does "up to 3000 CFM mean"? According to the SHelby site 1400 CFM is equal to around 140-150 MPH of wind speed. I mean if the AFCO gets 3000 CFM that would be equal to 300 MPH of wind speed which is kind of hard to believe.

The next question for we would be noise. Is this something a person would want on a daily driver with a pulley or aftermarket blower? Exhaust noise is ok, fans not so much.

If anyone wants to know more about his product there are some better explanations on svtperformance.com. I believe they are also going to do a competition between this H/E and the Shelby one. Will be interesting to see which one comes out on top but I'm more than happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone.

I have the Shelby one on my car and yes, you can hear the fans while you are out of the car and the car is running but you cannot hear the fans while you are in the car and the car is running.

There are more informative posts on this subject in the Shelby modifications section on this site, check it out.

What does up to CFM mean? You can adjust the fan speed or something? Wouldn't each of the fans consistently produce the same amount of CFM?

Sorry for the late response. I wanted to speak with AFCO to verify which fan they're using and it's exact CFM before replying. I still haven't spoken with my rep but I should have an answr for you tomorrow.

Thanks, Jared

We need some pics!

How does this compare to the Revan Racing Heat Exchanger?

I'll have some pics up in a few. As far as a comparison it's hard to say as the AFCO hasn't been released yet. I'm sure it's going to be debated for a while but I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Both Shelby/Revan and AFCO make great products.

Jared

As mentioned above I'll have more info about CFM for you as soon as I speak with my AFCO rep.

Thanks, Jared

Not to steal your thunder there Jared but is this the same H/E?

The pics looks to be identical.

Yes that's the same heat exchanger. You'll see many others advertising it but they won't actually have them until the commitment AFCO made to us has been filled. We've got a special deal on the first run just the same as we did on the original AFCO GT500 heat exchanger which we released to the GT500 market quite some time ago.

If you don't mind would you please remove the link though. Although we're friends with VMP we really don't feel it's appropriate to link to our competitors in our own sale threads.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know I received confirmation from AFCO today that our first pallet has shipped and should be arriving here Monday. If you have any questions or would like to place an order please feel free to give us a call.

Thanks, Jared

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-09-she...10-fans-p-30474

Just to let everyone know I received confirmation from AFCO today that our first pallet has shipped and should be arriving here Monday. If you have any questions or would like to place an order please feel free to give us a call.

Thanks, Jared

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-09-she...10-fans-p-30474

We need to get some numbers on this to see how well it compares to the one in your GT500.

Our first batch of AFCO Heat Exchangers with Dual Spal 10" Fans has arrived. These are in stock and now offered with SAME DAY SHIPPING GUARANTEED

AFCOpallet.jpg

NEW AFCO UNIT WITH FANS

AFCOFtandBkStacked.jpg

'

NEW AFCO WIH FANS COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL AFCO WITHOUT FANS

AfcoOldNewStacked.jpg

from the design point of view what advantage does the extra height has compared to the original height if it is blocked with the bumper?....or it is not and still gets the air circulating well..

from the design point of view what advantage does the extra height has compared to the original height if it is blocked with the bumper?....or it is not and still gets the air circulating well..

I haven't seen one installed so I really can't say how much if any and what part of the new unit may be blocked. Lets just say that some of the unit is blocked. It still has fluid in that area which is being cooled by the fans pulling air across the fins in that location.

I guess we'll find out more once some of them get installed but I'm pretty confident that AFCO did a great job as always.

Jared

Archived