TEAM SHELBY FORUM

weldcraft wheel widening

Who has shipped their rims to WeldCraft to get their rims widened? I got a quote from James for $225/rim to widen my SVT rims up to 3".

What's the desired width for 305's? And 315's? What's the width that will safely accommodate 305's and 315's, in case I were to change my mind in the future?

Are there any other concerns I should consider?

Thanks for any feedback or photos.

Ken

DSC04130.jpg

I had them do a set of Razors at 10.5" for my 305s. 11" would be a better choice for 305 and 315. I'm going down to 295s for my next set. I don't believe I could get 295s on 11".

Thanks for the info. I was thinking 11" would be a good choice, but I wasn't sure.

To run 315's, I'd need to get the Griggs '315 kit' anyway, so that's not going to happen tomorrow or anything. But I'd like to have the option anyway down the road, without having to mess with the rims again.

Anyone else have any advice on this?

Ken

I'd like to see more pics of SGTs w/ the widened wheels, has anybody had the stock wheels widened to fit bigger rubber?

while not the stock wheel, this is the CS66 8.5 widened to 10.5 by Weldcraft. They did an excellent job and the wheels were truer when they came back. Car rides like it's on glass now...very smooth and well balanced. Craig

post-10682-1257437272_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1257437288_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1257437302_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1257437362_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1257437272_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1257437288_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1257437302_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1257437362_thumb.jpg

whats the maxium width you can go ... on the stock GT500 rim ? Thats one of my may goals is to widen the rear wheels and put a wider tire on it

I think Justin ( VMP) widened a set to 11 oe 11.5 inches.

doesn't Griggs recommend 10" wheels for their kit? Had the wheels widen on the GT500 to 10.5 some time age. James put it on his web site

I'm not sure, I've never heard anything from Griggs regarding wheel width. I do know that all of their GR40's come equipped with 305's, however.

Ken

• 1 month later...

I just got the tires from my rear rims dismounted. These 2 wheels are getting shipped to Weldcraft next week to get a 1" spacer welded in. I've purchased 2 new Toyo RA1 305/35's which ought to arrive any day. I'm not sure on whether the 305's will work up front, since I'm still running struts. If so, great, I'll send the other 2 wheels off. If not, then my brother has a full set of RA1 275's for sale, which I'll use up front instead. Anyone running 305's up front with struts?

Ken

EDIT: I called John Griggs and he told me 305's are a no go with front struts. So I bought the full set of 275's from my brother, 2 for the front, 2 for spare.

I just got the tires from my rear rims dismounted. These 2 wheels are getting shipped to Weldcraft next week to get a 1" spacer welded in. I've purchased 2 new Toyo RA1 305/35's which ought to arrive any day. I'm not sure on whether the 305's will work up front, since I'm still running struts. If so, great, I'll send the other 2 wheels off. If not, then my brother has a full set of RA1 275's for sale, which I'll use up front instead. Anyone running 305's up front with struts?

Ken

EDIT: I called John Griggs and he told me 305's are a no go with front struts. So I bought the full set of 275's from my brother, 2 for the front, 2 for spare.

maybe time for an upgrade while the engine is out :drool:

http://www.grigg ing.com/index.php?cPath=4332_4309_4320_3060&osCsid=73b56c90737b314afc58867b17bb2364

I think 305's fit fine on 10" rims. I haven't had any problems.

OBfall09003.jpg

Agree. I've seen many people put 305's on a 10inch width tire with no problems.

Kahmann, what is the point of having 305's on the front? We do not drive a 4x4 and you only need wide tires on the back for a good grip from all that power.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I couldn't ascertain from the post, what size that the rear rim can safely be brought to without suspension modification. I have a 2010 GT500 and was thinking of having the rim widened from 9.5 to 10.5". Will everything be OK and is it worth the extra inch traction wise. I think that the car has plenty of power, but 1st gear is unusable and i think that I want to get the car to hook-up before going for more HP.

• 2 weeks later...

^Thanks!

I tried getting the 305's mounted today, but my local dealer gave me the wrong TPMS bands twice and that killed too much time for me to get it done today.

I tracked down the correct bands at another dealer in town. I'll post pics of them mounted and installed tomorrow.

Ken

american muscle has a deal for about $150 for bands, sensors, and a programmer... I went that route for the new shoes I put on mine... hopefully they will work good!

Man that is a good deal. I paid $120 + tax just for the bands from Ford.

This is the correct part # for the SVT rims, in case anyone needs it: 6F2Z-1A193-E

the bands were initially a little iffy to me, they are essentially just really big hose clamps, but they got the job done, and will be re-usable if I ever go with another style rim... and the sensors and programmer were actual ford parts, not generic stuff, so i'm happy!

TPMS kit

Archived