TEAM SHELBY FORUM

#321 Rear-ended.. Minor damage..

1965coupe

Hey everybody,

I have been fortunate with this car.. 22,000 miles with only some rock chips and a small dent.. UNTIL tonight - I was rear-ended (on the driver side) by a Saturn, which was rear-ended by a Dodge Caliber..

I was in the turn lane to get on the freeway.. stopped.. and the Saturn was stopped.. Well, the guy driving the Dodge didn\'t stop in time and hit her (the Saturn).. she managed to swerve to avoid hitting me straight on, but still clipped the side of me.. Since this is a narrow road, I didn\'t have anywhere to go..

The car runs and drives perfectly.. it\'s just physical damage.. The other two cars had to be towed.

While I can brush it off as \"life happens,\" I am concerned about a few things:

• the main damage is on the quarter panel - I don\'t want the panel \'patched\' - how do I make sure they replace the whole 1/4 panel? Or will they?
  • The rear bumper is shot.. I\'m not too concerned about making sure it\'s a CA Special bumper.. but I know I need new stripes.. should I order these? Or have the bodyshop contact Shelby?

It\'s hard to tell in the pictures, but the damage to the 1/4 panel, underneath the bumper, is pretty ugly.. it\'s quite mangled..

Can any of you offer tips/advice.. I have State Farm.. the driver that caused the accident has Mercury.. I DO have a police report (though he was very reluctant to write one..)..

Any GOOD bodyshops in So CAL? I have had very bad luck dealing with shops in the past.. I am super picky..

Thanks in advance..

EDIT: I have added some better pictures, with a real camera! Scroll down, take a look...

EDIT 2 (11-4): The main driver who caused the accident (Dodge Caliber) only has $10,000 collision coverage (as in $10,000 for all three cars, TOTAL!!)!. As a result, his agent (through Mercury insurance) told me to go through my own insurance (State Farm) and just pay the $500 deductible, get the car fixed.. etc..

I do not have rental insurance, and the Mercury agent told me to rent a car on my own, out-of-pocket; IF I do get reimbursed (if there is anything left from the $10,000, my payment will be pro-rated. Additionally, I MIGHT get my deductible back..

Does this sound fishy to all of you?? He told me it's best to go through my insurance so "they can take the bite"... WOW!!! And if I don't get any money back (rental/deductible) I can pursue the matter in small claims..

Gosh.. I just have so much time to do that.. :hysterical:

Sorry if this has turned into a rant.. just frustrated..

CopyofSummer_Fall09036.jpg

Summer_Fall09036.jpg

Summer_Fall09037.jpg

Summer_Fall09040.jpg

Summer_Fall09046.jpg

Summer_Fall09049.jpg

:wacko:

Seriously, Call Mike Duran at Citrus Ford in Ontario off Jurupa Ave and the 15 Fwy. Tell him Cliff sent you. His shop does fantastic work, works with all the major insurance companies. The added bonus is he KNOWS the Shelby process for getting your replacement stripes, etc. Best of luck and PM me if you want/need more info.

Seriously, Call Mike Duran at Citrus Ford in Ontario off Jurupa Ave and the 15 Fwy. Tell him Cliff sent you. His shop does fantastic work, works with all the major insurance companies. The added bonus is he KNOWS the Shelby process for getting your replacement stripes, etc. Best of luck and PM me if you want/need more info.

Awesome! Thank you!

I will try to call him this week..

That's my biggest concern: making sure the shop (and insurance company) knows that this is a Shelby GT.. not just a Mustang GT.. I am sure the CA Special bumper costs a lot more..

That's not as bad as some!

For sure make sure it's a CA Special bumper the Insurance guy may get a GT PN due to the VIN so verify!

The stripes can be ordered from SPP the shop, or you can call, and get the ordering info and requirements.

Good luck....could have been A LOT worse!

they probably won't replace the quarter on a hit like that, they won't "patch" it either, it looks like it can be pulled back into shape to me... and honestly that's probably in your best interest, if they did replace it, they would be painting/blending into the door too and you would have new welded/bonded seams that in my opinion open the car up for rust issues down the road...

they probably won't replace the quarter on a hit like that, they won't "patch" it either, it looks like it can be pulled back into shape to me... and honestly that's probably in your best interest, if they did replace it, they would be painting/blending into the door too and you would have new welded/bonded seams that in my opinion open the car up for rust issues down the road...

+1

1965coupe,

Sorry to hear about that. While it wasn't an accident with the Shelby but with my trailblazer, we went with Caliber Collision in Murrieta on Pear St. off of Jefferson. I have a friend who has a mechanic shop in Murrieta and deals with several local body shops and he recommended Caliber to me.

They did a good job replacing the front fender and door skin when my wife got t-boned by a hit and run driver.

Good luck.

Dan

ouch sorry to see that... I am the wame way with my mustangs picky as hell.. I would not want any remanufactured parts on it for sure... If it is a ford part on it it better get a genuine ford part.. U have to watch body shops for dealing in junk trying to save them insurance money to stick in there pockets....

65coupe, sorry to hear about this. I see where you have edited your first post...couple of things, first I would let shop repair the panel if they can, always best to remain w/ factory welds and seams vs. trying to duplicate in a shop environment. Don't get me wrong, shops of high quality can do an excellent job replacing panels, but when it comes to my vehicles I like to maintain those original welds when possible. Secondly, since the other carrier has advised you of the low liab. limits, I would go ahead and report to your agent tomorrow. Not sure what your state laws are there, but check w/ your agent to see if you carry Under Insured Motorist coverage as this may help you. If you do, you basically become a claimant under your own policy which in most cases affords you a little broader coverage towards rental, etc. Only your agent will know the best route for you on this. Also, your company can subrogate against the at fault party after settlement w/you based on your damages and any deductible you sustain. If there is enough coverage available (depends on other cars damages) you may be ok. Also, they are probably still investigating this loss and it could get sticky with the no. 1 and no. 2 car...for example...did the no. 2 car hit you first and then the no. 1 and visa versa. This is why you might be better to let your carrier handle for you. JMO.....Cg

65coupe, sorry to hear about this. I see where you have edited your first post...couple of things, first I would let shop repair the panel if they can, always best to remain w/ factory welds and seams vs. trying to duplicate in a shop environment. Don't get me wrong, shops of high quality can do an excellent job replacing panels, but when it comes to my vehicles I like to maintain those original welds when possible. Secondly, since the other carrier has advised you of the low liab. limits, I would go ahead and report to your agent tomorrow. Not sure what your state laws are there, but check w/ your agent to see if you carry Under Insured Motorist coverage as this may help you. If you do, you basically become a claimant under your own policy which in most cases affords you a little broader coverage towards rental, etc. Only your agent will know the best route for you on this. Also, your company can subrogate against the at fault party after settlement w/you based on your damages and any deductible you sustain. If there is enough coverage available (depends on other cars damages) you may be ok. Also, they are probably still investigating this loss and it could get sticky with the no. 1 and no. 2 car...for example...did the no. 2 car hit you first and then the no. 1 and visa versa. This is why you might be better to let your carrier handle for you. JMO.....Cg

Wow! That is some great advice! Thanks!

I have filed the claim with my insurance.. They are calling me tomorrow with claim numbers and other info; I will ask them about under-insured coverage.

The other insurance is calling me tomorrow for a statement.

I forgot to mention that the driver at fault said that he was driving a little bit too fast, but he didn't know how fast.. :shift::doh:

Wow! That is some great advice! Thanks!

I have filed the claim with my insurance.. They are calling me tomorrow with claim numbers and other info; I will ask them about under-insured coverage.

The other insurance is calling me tomorrow for a statement.

I forgot to mention that the driver at fault said that he was driving a little bit too fast, but he didn't know how fast.. :shift::doh:

Chris, you may want to check w/ your agent first thing in the morning to let him/her know that the other carrier wants to take your statement. He may offer some advice to you as to whether or not he/she thinks you should even provide a statement since your are filing under your insurance. I would check first just to be sure what he/she recommends. Cg

Chris, you may want to check w/ your agent first thing in the morning to let him/her know that the other carrier wants to take your statement. He may offer some advice to you as to whether or not he/she thinks you should even provide a statement since your are filing under your insurance. I would check first just to be sure what he/she recommends. Cg

Will do!

Will do!

Chris,

All of the above is great advice. However, I would decline to make any statement and refer the 3rd party investigator(s) to your insurance carrier. That's what you pay a premium for. Let your carrier represent your interests. Really though, what's important here is that you're OK. The Shelby vehicle can be fixed, it's a little different with Shelby enthusiasts.

Jim

Chris,

All of the above is great advice. However, I would decline to make any statement and refer the 3rd party investigator(s) to your insurance carrier. That's what you pay a premium for. Let your carrier represent your interests. Really though, what's important here is that you're OK. The Shelby vehicle can be fixed, it's a little different with Shelby enthusiasts.

Jim

+1

Talk to your insurance company and let them direct you.

This was posted yesterday:

5 Things Never to Say to Your Insurers

http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/article...s?mod=insurance

Ouch ! !

PLEASE do not make a statement to the other insurance company.

Talk to your agent and let them talk to the other insurance company, thats their job.

You might mis-speak and ruin a court case.

Out here it works like this: The vehicle that directly rear ended you covers your damage.

They then go after the vehicle that rear ended them adding in cost of your repairs, and so on, untill it gets to the original idiot who made the first hit.

Think of it as a snowball that gets bigger with each vehicle untill it reaches the end.

Hope it all works out

Ouch ! !

PLEASE do not make a statement to the other insurance company.

Talk to your agent and let them talk to the other insurance company, thats their job.

You might mis-speak and ruin a court case.

Out here it works like this: The vehicle that directly rear ended you covers your damage.

They then go after the vehicle that rear ended them adding in cost of your repairs, and so on, untill it gets to the original idiot who made the first hit.

Think of it as a snowball that gets bigger with each vehicle untill it reaches the end.

Hope it all works out

Thanks guys/gals! I will NOT be making a statement.. I am going to deal directly with my insurance - that's why they get paid in the first place..

As far as the number 2 car being at fault, that is how I have always felt - even though it wasn't her fault, 'her car technically hit my car' - based on everyone's feedback, and for my own sanity, I am going to let the insurance companies battle this out.

After speaking with Mercury yesterday, and basically being told that their client is first in terms of precedence, I wanted to literally strangle the man and ask him the simplest question:

"So basically, I can be innocently sitting at a freeway on-ramp, get hit because your client was not paying attention, and have it cost me HUNDREDS of dollars?? And you guys will come out smelling like a rose??"

It doesn't make any sense.. they are looking out for their own interests, then putting their customer first, above all other parties.. I can't imagine how car number 2 is doing.. a 2001 Saturn can't be worth more than 5 grand.. that's probably going to be totaled.. She'll get screwed also..

:censored:

I didn't even drive near the scene of the incident today.. poor shelby.. :cry::cry: It is tempting me to retire it from 'daily driver duty' - too many incoherent people on the road..

You could safely make one statment...

"The driver that hit us was/is a F'in idiot"

File that in your report. :hysterical:

Thanks guys/gals! I will NOT be making a statement.. I am going to deal directly with my insurance - that's why they get paid in the first place..

As far as the number 2 car being at fault, that is how I have always felt - even though it wasn't her fault, 'her car technically hit my car' - based on everyone's feedback, and for my own sanity, I am going to let the insurance companies battle this out.

After speaking with Mercury yesterday, and basically being told that their client is first in terms of precedence, I wanted to literally strangle the man and ask him the simplest question:

"So basically, I can be innocently sitting at a freeway on-ramp, get hit because your client was not paying attention, and have it cost me HUNDREDS of dollars?? And you guys will come out smelling like a rose??"

It doesn't make any sense.. they are looking out for their own interests, then putting their customer first, above all other parties.. I can't imagine how car number 2 is doing.. a 2001 Saturn can't be worth more than 5 grand.. that's probably going to be totaled.. She'll get screwed also..

I didn't even drive near the scene of the incident today.. poor shelby.. :cry::cry: It is tempting me to retire it from 'daily driver duty' - too many incoherent people on the road..

Man your right about that. WAY too many under insured and incoherant drivers abound here; a really bad combination.

I would be interested to hear how this turns out! I agree with you, Driver no. 1 caused the accident! If he didn't have enough insurance the rest should come out of his pocket! You shouldn't have to pay a dime. But that's in my world not in the world of lawyers and insurance companies.

Good luck and I pray it never happens to me.

Edited to remove unnecessary remarks, I apologize for my ignorance! I let personal stuff get involved. Sorry

Chris,

Unfortunately, we live in Californica and get screwed by our legislators that don't require registered vehicle owners to carry adequate limits of property damage liability insurance. Now maybe if we could just replace them all and send a new crew to Sacramento....

Jim

Chris,

Unfortunately, we live in Californica and get screwed by our legislators that don't require registered vehicle owners to carry adequate limits of property damage liability insurance. Now maybe if we could just replace them all and send a new crew to Sacramento....

Jim

i just looked it up, only $5k property liability is required by law!!! I thought, "that is NUTS!" till i found out indiana is only $10k! how can people think that is reasonable? With an average new car costing $20K plus, I just don't get it...

and here I thought the $100K i carry was borderline too low!

jmn444,

If Californica did require $100k, Chris (and the rest of us here) would be in fairly good shape. But these "welfare" state idiots in Sacto kowtow to the lowest common denominator for votes.

Jim

jmn444,

If Californica did require $100k, Chris (and the rest of us here) would be in fairly good shape. But these "welfare" state idiots in Sacto kowtow to the lowest common denominator for votes.

Jim

The legislators are just doing what legislators do: dig a niche and act any way necessary to stay in it until that humongous pension is assured.

Of course the Great Good-Hands-of-All-Brands don't help any, not watching out for the rate-payers, but for themselves and their stockholders - and each other. My wife has been hit three times in the last fifteen years. No injury to her, but each accident, none her fault, resulted in more than $3,000 damage and quite a bit of cost to us. In every case, the guilty party tried to assign the blame to my wife, and my insurance company negotiated with the other company and called them each "unable to determine fault", so each insurer paid its own insured's claims. I know a little investigation by a competent, motivated agent or adjuster could have set the responsibility appropriately. But NOOOOO, too much work, not enough return (they said). Way I figure it, due diligence on the part of my insurer would have got me my deductible back from the guilty party or his insurer; as it was, we are out the deductibles and our ancillary expenses.

Nonsense, says I.

You guys are absolutely correct with how bad California is.. I go to a state college and am experiencing the budget cuts with furloughs, etc..

HERE IS AN UPDATE:

Went to four bodyshops today: 1) Temecula Ford Dealership (Rancho), 2) Collision Center of Temecula 3) Murrieta Auto Collision, and 4) Caliber Collision in Murrieta (as recommended by a member).

1) Lady that was giving appraisal said she guesses it's 3-5 thousand in damage, but they won't know until the bumper is off. She says it's best to make an appt with state farm so they can give an accurate estimate.

**This dealership painted MOST of a 2004 Mustang I owned. It was not a pleasant experience, although after a lot of arguing, the finished product was not horrible.

She did realize that it is a 'nice' car and they would take special care.

2) This shop painted an F350 tailgate/mirrors/cowl for me, as well as the GT500 spoiler - very nice place. The manager looked at the car and said they will REPAIR the quarter - as you all mentioned, REPLACING the quarter is not the best route - it will destroy factory seams/welds, as well as the VIN sticker.

Very thorough estimate, including the right bumper, stripes, etc. = $3605.83

This is not a state farm 'select service' shop.

3) This shop has been around for seven years; they were going to paint my '65 but he was too busy at the time. Their work is excellent, if not too 'good' - see, I want to retain the factory orange peel.

The owner is at SEMA, so his daughter gave an estimate - she says they will REPLACE the panel.

Grand total is $4115.12

4) Caliber Collision - SUPER nice people! The manager saw my car before I filled anything out and was already looking at the damage. The estimator, who gave the estimate, worked at Tuttle-Click Ford in OC and dealt with Saleen..

The earlier-mentioned manager was able to rent an '08 Hertz convertible for a month because they had a deal with Hertz. Basically, he knows what a Shelby is.

Both guys were extremely sentimental toward the car's value - the fact that it's a Shelby. They said for any other car they would REPLACE the panel, but since this is a Shelby, they will REPAIR it. They both said you don't want to disturb any of the factory seams/welds if you don't have to. He also showed how replacing the quarter is major surgery and is not necessary.

He will be emailing me the itemized repair estimate, but I felt super comfortable with this business. They are a state farm select service shop so it would be a lot easier to work with them.

They told me they would be using chamois to wash the finished car, and would make sure it goes inside at night.

So.. ?? Obviously price is not an issue.. they are all in the same ballpark.. As you all said, it's best to REPAIR the quarter..

Archived