TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 on Dyno

samg

Dyno day for our local Mustang club (Northern Virginia) at Excessive Motorsports in Manassas Va.

My stock 2010 did pretty well I think. Lots of comments fyi on the exhaust note. Many thought the stock 2010 exhaust sound was aftermarket.

Dynojet - Standard measurment

72 degrees & 62% humidity so pretty favorable conditions:

Max Power = 487.44 RWHP

Max Torque = 474.78 RW Ft-LBS

post-25051-1257018400_thumb.jpg

post-25051-1257018400_thumb.jpg

Well like others have seen. Using the rule of thumb 15% that puts motor over the rated 540hp! Around the 560 range give or take a few.

Or figure 10% loss then almost dead on, for 540hp.

Either way nice numbers.

You can't work numbers like that, espcially when STD was used and not SAE. The "rule of thumb" is basically a crock, total BS made up number. The only way to determine flywheel HP is to pull the engine and hook it up to an engine dyno.

If you took 4 dif models of Dynojet, a Mustang Dyno, and a Dyno Dynamic dyno, and did 6 runs with same car on the same day, same condtions, you'd have a 50 HP spread across all the various readings.

You can't work numbers like that, espcially when STD was used and not SAE. The "rule of thumb" is basically a crock, total BS made up number. The only way to determine flywheel HP is to pull the engine and hook it up to an engine dyno.

If you took 4 dif models of Dynojet, a Mustang Dyno, and a Dyno Dynamic dyno, and did 6 runs with same car on the same day, same condtions, you'd have a 50 HP spread across all the various readings.

Can add that the tuners there said under conditions of the day, the difference in my STD measurment and SAE would be 1% to 2% tops. Did not ask if that was up or down. This is a respected Mustang specialty shop. Since there were a number of other cars dynoed, they also had the opportunity to benchmark their measurements today with cars that were dynoed at other Dynojet facilities. All of the owners said today's numbers were right on with their other dyno runs.

Once STD and SAE conditions are normalized, if done right then, the major differences between results are then more from dyno types (e.g., Dynojet vs Mustang).

For the final piece, don't agree that a rule of thumb for drive train loss is without value. They have been derived for various vehicle types from empirical measurements. Until transmission and gear technologies change much they are good enough for rough calculations. Like for example trying to estimate if the 540HP standard rating seems high or low. This is especially true if a number of data points are correlated on a normalized basis. Agree that getting to a really precise answer takes an engine hook up, but that is not what most people seem to be talking about.

Dyno day for our local Mustang club (Northern Virginia) at Excessive Motorsports in Manassas Va.

My stock 2010 did pretty well I think. Lots of comments fyi on the exhaust note. Many thought the stock 2010 exhaust sound was aftermarket.

Dynojet - Standard measurment

72 degrees & 62% humidity so pretty favorable conditions:

Max Power = 487.44 RWHP

Max Torque = 474.78 RW Ft-LBS

Hey are you the guy with the black 2010?? I was there 5 min after you had left.

My numbers are:

First run:

73.95 degrees & 63% humidity

490.84 RWHP and 477.03 Torque

Second run:

74.24 degrees & 63% humidity

490.74 RWHP and 478.72 Torque

and i had make a extra 3th run:

75.25 degrees & 63% humidity

482.60 RWHP and 467.50 Torque

Hey are you the guy with the black 2010?? I was there 5 min after you had left.

My numbers are:

First run:

73.95 degrees & 63% humidity

490.84 RWHP and 477.03 Torque

Second run:

74.24 degrees & 63% humidity

490.74 RWHP and 478.72 Torque

and i had make a extra 3th run:

75.25 degrees & 63% humidity

482.60 RWHP and 467.50 Torque

Yup. What a small world!

• 2 weeks later...
Edmunds.com did a dyno of a stock 2010 and came up with 511rwhp/488tq. I don't know if it's STD or SAE, but pretty impressive nontheless.

That was from a while ago...never seen numbers like those again from a stock car from what I've heard. Don't know how that happened...it'd be nice though.

Archived