TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Harbor Freight Rear Caliper Tool

Harbor Freight Tools has a kit that handles the job of "turning" the piston back into the caliper on the rear calipers on the S197 Mustangs. This tool works well and makes getting the piston back into position so you can replace the rear pads. The price is right on it too at $24.99...

Harbor Freight Caliper Tool Set

Harbor Freight Tools has a kit that handles the job of "turning" the piston back into the caliper on the rear calipers on the S197 Mustangs. This tool works well and makes getting the piston back into position so you can replace the rear pads. The price is right on it too at $24.99...

I bought the same kit from them a few months ago for $19.99. Works great. :happy feet:

I love harbor freight. That place is like the Costco of tools.

Bought one. Now I have to drive it like I stole it to wear down the brake pads just to get to try the tool. :hysterical:

This tool worked better than the pair of pliers I used the first go around, but still not quite as well as I had hoped it would.

Oh well, most of the stuff at HF is made in China, so you get what you pay for. ;)

Ken

Considering the cost of the 206-026 Ford tool at $70.00 +, the Harbor Freight tool is a pretty good deal, and it works much better than the "universal cube" that I bought at Auto Zone several years ago...

:shrug:

Pair of needle nose pliers and a sore lip here. :headscratch:

Those needle nose do NOT work well for this job do they?! Man, I thought I was going to be spinning that thing forever. And it would slip constantly. Definitely the WRONG way to go about this job! :lol:

Those needle nose do NOT work well for this job do they?! Man, I thought I was going to be spinning that thing forever. And it would slip constantly. Definitely the WRONG way to go about this job! :lol:

Lol. Hence the fat lip! :hysterical:

Seriously those things knocked me in the mouth faster than I could BLINK. I called my dad (who always told me "there an easier way to do things") that I finished the brakes. When I told him "needle nose pliers knocked me in the mouth" he chuckled and said "you didn't use the 'tool'??"

:doh:

Harbor Freight Caliper Tool Set

You can often find the set on sale for $19.99 then apply one of their 20% coupons on the purchase. This tool works pretty good. You have to be selective on what you buy at HF - some of their hand tools are not as strong as what you can find at Sears. I would not use their $9.95 spring compressor, or torque wrenches, but I like their breaker bars and oil filter wrench. I've had some good luck with their aluminum racing jacks as well.

HF_Caliper_Tool.jpg

000f0ef5.gif

Use that on your REAR calipers, and you'll be buying new rear calipers....they don't press in, they have to be rotated in order to return them to their original position...the piston is screwed into the caliper...

But, you would not be the first person to have to buy a new caliper either...

Archived