TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bigger Blower

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?m...p;cPath=128_148

Guys, There are many SC upgrades to consider. I'd like to get one that fits under the hood without lowering or cutting anything. The TVS 2.3L SC looks good, but then I see that the 2.9L Whipple fits under the hood too and is also less expensive. My goal is for 580-600 RWHP and torque at no more than 15PSI. I am thinking about the L&M 66mm TB along with the dual pass Shelby heat exchanger and a bigger blower as the 3 power mods. Any feedback?

Also, I'm confused with the choices of U + L control arms to hook this to the street. I saw that the Motor Trend video where the 2010 Super Snake got taken by the Hennessey Camaro due to traction issues, which I would like to avoid. Any suggestions?

I'm getting my winter list done now, so I can act in the spring.

Guys, There are many SC upgrades to consider. I'd like to get one that fits under the hood without lowering or cutting anything. The TVS 2.3L SC looks good, but then I see that the 2.9L Whipple fits under the hood too and is also less expensive. My goal is for 580-600 RWHP and torque at no more than 15PSI. I am thinking about the L&M 66mm TB along with the dual pass Shelby heat exchanger and a bigger blower as the 3 power mods. Any feedback?

Also, I'm confused with the choices of U + L control arms to hook this to the street. I saw that the Motor Trend video where the 2010 Super Snake got taken by the Hennessey Camaro due to traction issues, which I would like to avoid. Any suggestions?

The TVS is a great supercharger and so is the 2.9L Whipple. It's really going to come down to what you're goals are with the car. Is 600rwhp the final goal of your car or do you think that at some point you'll want to push it harder? I know for most people including myself we may want something to start out with but as time goes on we typically want more. From what I understand most car enthusiasts have the same mental illness. :hysterical:

The TVS will get you to your current goal of 600rwhp and so will the 2.9L. Later on if you happen to have the same bug as the rest of us you'll probably want more. The TVS and 2.9L will also get you to that point. However there will be a point to where the 2.3L is being maxed out and overspun and the larger compressor will take over. You'll have the ability then to support the higher power level with larger compressor without over spinning it or taking above it's efficiency range.

Regardless of which blower you go with the L&M and the Shelby HE are excellent choices. Just a little info that not many know since this is the first time I've mentioned it. The 2010 Cobra Jet which runs 8's is currently using the Shelby Heat Exchanger by Revan Racing/C&R. That's just proof that when the big dogs need better cooling the Shelby HE is what they turned to. The car will actually be on display at SEMA with the Shelby HE on it. I'll make sure to snap some pics.

For the traction issues I'll suggest a set of upper and lower LCA's along with upper and lower brackets, panhard rod and panhard brace. That's gonna tidy up the rear end and get rid of the OEM rubber bushings which is the cause of the hop (flex). For a street/daily driven car your best bet is to go with Poly bushings. However you can run a poly/rod combo and still not suffer from NVH (Noise ,Vibration and Harshness). You can't go wrong with any of the brand we sell like Steeda, BMR, J&M. They're all high quality parts which perform great.

My best suggestion would be to give us a call and we can walk you through everything you'll need to reach the specific goals you're looking to achieve.

Jared

There are lots of guys running the TVS. Excellent blower. No hood mods or lowering of anything required.

You just have to decide what your real long term desires are for your car and go that direction, so you don't buy parts twice.

So TVS, L&M and Shelby H/E would be an excellent street system. I've just got to get the L&M.

Now the real problem is hooking up all the power, I would recommend at least Nitto 305's and a Roush UCA.

Thanks Jared for taking the time to post details....but you usually do.

Is there a logical path to engine modifications? For example you can go with a pulley and tune...cost is around $800 and you will pick up somewhere between 50 and 100hp/tq....then you could add a lower pulley and pick up another 40-50 tq but you are pushing 15-16 pounds of boost so probably need to add some cooling help, that additional tq will cost up to another $1,500. At this point you are probably in the 550 -600 rwhp and your investment is in the $2500 range. For many folks that may be all they want and is probably all you can get to hook on the street. But if you want more then there is the step up to a bigger blower...you still get to keep most of the other stuff you installed. I know some of you will tell me that the bigger blower is more efficient, lower temps, etc....I know that and agree (I have the TVS on my 2007 GT500) but not everyone wants or needs 700rwhp. There are sacrifices once you mod these cars and for some people they get beyond their comfort/tolerance level and instead of enjoying their car they start to hate it because it is not as streetable. Just looking for alternatives. I know and understand vendors need to push products to stay in business but sometimes I value the quality of advice and the partnership versus an outright sales pitch. If you help me then when I want more...I will come back to you for more so you get the sale in the end anyway and the customer is a whole lot happier.

Jared and guys, Thanks for all the good info.

Good point 65427cobra. I still want my car streetable and a safe tune, as I don't intend to track it too much and plan to keep the car. My buddy did the 2.6" pulley, cold air, heat exchanger, tune and L&M 66mm and he is at 540 RWHP. This is on a 2008 GT500. It seems that in order to get 600, a bigger blower is needed.

The TVS is a great supercharger and so is the 2.9L Whipple. It's really going to come down to what you're goals are with the car. Is 600rwhp the final goal of your car or do you think that at some point you'll want to push it harder? I know for most people including myself we may want something to start out with but as time goes on we typically want more. From what I understand most car enthusiasts have the same mental illness. :hysterical:

The TVS will get you to your current goal of 600rwhp and so will the 2.9L. Later on if you happen to have the same bug as the rest of us you'll probably want more. The TVS and 2.9L will also get you to that point. However there will be a point to where the 2.3L is being maxed out and overspun and the larger compressor will take over. You'll have the ability then to support the higher power level with larger compressor without over spinning it or taking above it's efficiency range.

Regardless of which blower you go with the L&M and the Shelby HE are excellent choices. Just a little info that not many know since this is the first time I've mentioned it. The 2010 Cobra Jet which runs 8's is currently using the Shelby Heat Exchanger by Revan Racing/C&R. That's just proof that when the big dogs need better cooling the Shelby HE is what they turned to. The car will actually be on display at SEMA with the Shelby HE on it. I'll make sure to snap some pics.

For the traction issues I'll suggest a set of upper and lower LCA's along with upper and lower brackets, panhard rod and panhard brace. That's gonna tidy up the rear end and get rid of the OEM rubber bushings which is the cause of the hop (flex). For a street/daily driven car your best bet is to go with Poly bushings. However you can run a poly/rod combo and still not suffer from NVH (Noise ,Vibration and Harshness). You can't go wrong with any of the brand we sell like Steeda, BMR, J&M. They're all high quality parts which perform great.

My best suggestion would be to give us a call and we can walk you through everything you'll need to reach the specific goals you're looking to achieve.

Jared

Jared,

Thanks for the info. I tried calling this morning...Looking at your site I see that you have a 700HP Whipple kit that use a Whipple TB with Jon Lund tune. I heard a lot of good things about the L&M 66mm TB and wonder if this set-up would work as well with the L&M and how would that affect the tune. I would assume that you couldn't use the Lund tune as is. Also, if the TVS 2.3L and Whipple 2.9L are both good, why is the Whipple less expensive? A lot less too. Is it as robust a design and build as the TVS? Thanks, Jim

Jared,

Thanks for the info. I tried calling this morning...Looking at your site I see that you have a 700HP Whipple kit that use a Whipple TB with Jon Lund tune. I heard a lot of good things about the L&M 66mm TB and wonder if this set-up would work as well with the L&M and how would that affect the tune. I would assume that you couldn't use the Lund tune as is. Also, if the TVS 2.3L and Whipple 2.9L are both good, why is the Whipple less expensive? A lot less too. Is it as robust a design and build as the TVS? Thanks, Jim

Great question - :lurk:

Jared

How long does it take to install the TVS? The Whipple? I've read in other forums that the sc swap would take about about 2 hours. Is that accurate?

Jared,

Did you have a hard time getting through to us this morning? The reason I ask is because I was short staffed but was doing my best to make sure all of the calls were answered until the rest of my crew showed up at 10. If for some reason we missed your call I sincerely apologize. Please PM me your number and I'll give you a call first thing Monday. As far as the 2.9L kits go we now offer them with the L&M throttle body as an upgrade. You can choose that option from the dropdown box. Once that option is chosen we will make sure that the tune for the kit is made specific for the kit using the L&M tb.

As far as pricing goes why the TVS is more expensive is because it's only sold with the procal tuner and FRPP intake kit. The Whipple is sold as a tuner kit meaning it is for the blower only. The intake and tuning is separate.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

How long does it take to install the TVS? The Whipple? I've read in other forums that the sc swap would take about about 2 hours. Is that accurate?

Honestly I've never timed myself on how long it takes to pull or install a blower on our car. I know I've done it quite a few times and it goes faster and faster each time because I know all of the tricks that didn't know from the last time I did the install.

Maybe a few other people could chime in with their personal experience and give an accurate timeframe for each blower.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Based on what you mentioned, this is what you want http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?m...products_id=775

The car shown in that pic is mine, and i can tell you, with that set up you'll be around 630-650rwhp on a 93 tune, at 15-16# of boost. Driveability just as good or better than stock. There is some room for more power, but more is not always better. You will have an animal of a car at the street, and there have been many people that run 10sec and even recently a 9.87 with that horsepower. Truth is you can spin a bigger blower at much higher boost levels, but that would require, pulley changes and/or torco/race fuel, and of course loading diferent tunes, and still it does not mean you will be able to put that power on the ground. I prefered just turning the key and go without changing anything for street or track, and be at safe hp levels with my baby! Also no matter witch way you go, i would strongly recomend the Shelby H/E with fans, among suspencion mods. This is JMHO and good luck with whatever you decide to go with :shift:

Kostas

Archived