TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sam's Rivet Tool Available (No Charge)

We have had several discussions on the installation of the Shelby hood scoop after removal and the methods of attaching it back. I believe Sam was the one that brought up the use of a "rivet nut" system, I have to admit, I didn't have a clue what a rivet nut was, but I did borrow his tool, ordered the rivet nuts and bolts and my body shop used the method on my 08SGT/BJ today.

Sam bought and paid for the tool and we agreed that we would make it available on a pay it forward request to any member of this forum that wanted to use it. I am now finished with it and if any member wants to borrow it for free and will agree to pay the shipping charges to the next member that askes for it after he/she if finished, I will ship it out to you at no cost.

My car is now striped correctly and I decided to buy new SHELBY letters to apply on the trunck rather than attaching them with new tape, seemed like it would just be a pain and they may not stay attached.

Picking up my car on Thursday and yes it is predicted to rain again in Arkansas. Will post pictures in the next day or so.

Send me a pm or e-mail to Greenwell@txkusa.org to borrow the tool and my thanks to Sam on his advice and help in using this method, I had recieved the SHELBY factory rivets and I'm sure it would have been easier and faster, but the rivet nut method sure does look good.

Anyone know this guy?

This is the tool you will be getting.

Ready to ship, enjoy............ :lurk:

GG

Thanks GG, but I'm fairly certain the real credit should go to Chip Beck, I believe he had the original idea to use the rivet nuts!

To the rest of Team Shelby: Unless you want to buy your own, this "loaner" works just fine, especially if you only need it once! I'd rather it get used up than sit on my tool bench gathering dust and rust!

Can't wait to see pics of your finished car GG!

Sam

AKA:

Thanks GG, but I'm fairly certain the real credit should go to Chip Beck, I believe he had the original idea to use the rivet nuts!

To the rest of Team Shelby: Unless you want to buy your own, this "loaner" works just fine, especially if you only need it once! I'd rather it get used up than sit on my tool bench gathering dust and rust!

Can't wait to see pics of your finished car GG!

Sam

AKA:

Sam,

You are right, it was Chip Beck now that I recall all the treads on this and I have to say my body shop just bragged about the rivet nut method and how much better the scoop set on the hood. They said the install was straightforward and other than 3 or 4 holes at the back that needed something all the rivet nuts went in fine. They did buff off the area along the underside of the hood scoop itself for a smooth fit. They even remembered to put the black stripe on and rivet through it. Thanks for the loan and heads up on this method.

GG

Archived