TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need opinion...exhaust problem

Guys, I own 07SGT4416. When I start up the car I'm getting a pretty crazy noise coming from the left-hand muffler right around 2,000 rpm...also while driving in the same rpm range no matter what gear I'm in. I'm of the opinion that a baffle in the muffler may have had a spot weld come loose. What do you guys think?

I had to lay my iPhone on the ground to take this...sorry for the poor cinematography :lurk:

Sounds like the muffler bearings have gone bad!!! ^_^

:finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

you should check the weld points on the mufflers specifically the front mounts. the gtas have a tendency to break welds on their front mounts, so check their first.

i would look at this as an opportunity to upgrade to a better exhaust system. i would get this fixed under warranty first though

EDIT: before any one asks there are two kinds of gta mufflers. the only difference between them is their front mounts. the revised series(second series) have a L bend in their mounting bracket where it welds to the muffler itself, this extends the welded length and keeps them from breaking welds.

most 07 sgts will have the first series gta mufflers, i dont know about the 08s perhaps an 08 owner could chime in on this

:finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

you should check the weld points on the mufflers specifically the front mounts. the gtas have a tendency to break welds on their front mounts, so check their first.

i would look at this as an opportunity to upgrade to a better exhaust system. i would get this fixed under warranty first though

EDIT: before any one asks there are two kinds of gta mufflers. the only difference between them is their front mounts. the revised series(second series) have a L bend in their mounting bracket where it welds to the muffler itself, this extends the welded length and keeps them from breaking welds.

most 07 sgts will have the first series gta mufflers, i dont know about the 08s perhaps an 08 owner could chime in on this

I will certainly check that out. I would love to upgrade, I've been itching to do that for a while. With losing my flying job in May and taking a 53% pay cut (my USAF O-1 paychecks won't start rolling in for about 6 more months) that'd be a little bit of a stretch. Now, if anyone would like to donate a set of mufflers to me, I certainly wouldn't turn them away! :shift:

Guys, I own 07SGT4416. When I start up the car I'm getting a pretty crazy noise coming from the left-hand muffler right around 2,000 rpm...also while driving in the same rpm range no matter what gear I'm in. I'm of the opinion that a baffle in the muffler may have had a spot weld come loose. What do you guys think?

I had to lay my iPhone on the ground to take this...sorry for the poor cinematography :lurk:

I had the exact same problem/noise with 07SGT0254 (with less than 1K miles). Also, only on the left side. I did a visual for broken welds or metal/metal contact with nothing noted. Apparently there is a bad internal weld. I took mine to the dealer where I bought it, and they had to order a new set of FRPP mufflers (both sides). Installed them under warranty and no problem since (I'm up to 4K miles now).

From what I understand, this is a known defect that was only in the early numbered 07's. FRPP had corrected the defect. You may have gotten a pair of the early mufflers put on your SGT.

Tubbs

USAF (Ret.)

:salute:

FYI If you run your car at the track, the mufflers will eventually break the weld from the hangars. Poor weld penetration of the muffler shell is the reason. The weld bead is still attached to the hangar but not to the muffler shell. I have had two welds break loose on my Shelby GT. After the second incident I just went ahead a rewelded the remaining two hangars (four total). No problems since then.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to go in for a warranty replacement...here's the kicker. Shelby said "go ahead and pull off the muffler, ship it to us, we'll test it and if we find it bad we'll send a new one or we'll send that one back." So...that's a week + that I'll have no car, all for one muffler!

It's going to go in for a warranty replacement...here's the kicker. Shelby said "go ahead and pull off the muffler, ship it to us, we'll test it and if we find it bad we'll send a new one or we'll send that one back." So...that's a week + that I'll have no car, all for one muffler!

When I took SGT0254 to the dealer, they didn't get any "static" like that from Shelby. But it could be that the mechanics at my dealer know I can be an "ass" when it comes to this car (They even park it in a special place to prevent dings and gawkers).

How are they going to test it? Weld it to another car? That doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like they want to take your car on vacation somewhere (It wouldn't be the first time that happened).

1. Call Shelby and talk to one of their mechanics. Get his/her name (they probably won't give a last name, but that's OK). Tell them your issue, have them look at your post, if they need to and listen to the recording you made. Advise them that this is a known issue and has been covered under warranty in the past on other SGT's.

2. Print out your initial post and my previous reply.

3. Take my reply to your initial post and the name of the Shelby mechanic (along with a phone number to Shelby) to your dealer.

4. Have the dealer read the post, and call Shelby.

The call may take a little while, as they figure out who pays for the warranty repair (It should be Ford, since it is a FRPP part).

The dealer should end up ordering an new set of FRPP mufflers and call you when they come in.

Same day install. Just make sure to tell them to have the tips at the same distance (if you ever seen a car with uneven tips, you'll know what I'm saying).

Above all else, act like you know exactly what you are talking about, and they should cater to your every future need when you prove them wrong.

Good luck!

:salute:

That just does not sound right....at all.

Send me the information on the vehicle and the dealer you are working with and we will look into this.

Roger

rogers@shelbyautos.com

That just does not sound right....at all.

Send me the information on the vehicle and the dealer you are working with and we will look into this.

Roger

rogers@shelbyautos.com

Sent you an email...thanks for the help!

Archived