TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Suspension Bolts- replace or not???

:headscratch: I plan on changing out my panhard bar and control arms. In the Ford shop manuals it says to discard bolts when removed and replace with new. That's 13 bolts and a few nuts. Why the need to replace? Are the bolts structurally weakened or is it the thread lock is compromised?

If it is just the thread lock can I just add some new loc-tite?

Please clue me in on my options.

Thanks, GREG

If I had to guess, I would say it's because there may be unseen hairline fractures and or distortion in the old bolts that could cause a failure. (with possible bad consequences!) Could also be a warranty issue.

For my peace of mind, new parts get new bolts!

Sam

AKA:

bolts get stretched when torqued, any part that holds suspension together should get new fasteners in my opinion!

x2, these bolts are rated by stretch torque not foot lbs.

=-=-=-=-=-

Its a liability thing we replaced all bolts on SGT/KR the bolts come packaged for each side but if you do reuse I would use threadlock for sure

If it's a relatively new car and the bolts have never come out before, you're probably fine with thread lock.

If it's my car, I replace them, regardless of how many times they've been torqued (including once). Bolts stretch when torqued. Replacing them is cheap insurance. Good luck

Ken

Eh, I re-used mine... I put loc-tite on them and we'll see how it goes. I've gone back to re-check everything and they didn't even need re-torque even after a solid day on the track. I'm talking the bolts for the LCA's and the one's I re-used on my Watt's Link. I dunno, sometimes it seems a little bit too much kool-aid flows around that stuff.... I'm just not patient and don't want to wait around for the Ford parts counter to figure out which bolts I need. My .02

I understand the suspension bolts are torqued to yield and should be replaced. With that said I doubt a dealer actually practices that when they do the work. I chose to replace most of the hardware especially the ones that are torqued to high torque settings. I purchase most of my hardware mail order from Silver State Ford Parts of Team Ford Parts. Their parts are cheaper but you have to pay for shipping, which is reasonable. You do need to navigate through poor pictorial catalogs to find what you need.

http://www.teamfordparts.com/

http://www.silverstatefordparts.com/partlo...m?siteid=214290

One final thought - the amount of torque a bolt receives is important when deciding whether to replace it. Wheel studs for instance don't need a ton of torque and obviously should only be replaced if they have failed. Anything over 50 ft/lbs is the general rule of thumb for the massive natural gas and diesel engines I work on for a living. So I use the same rule of thumb when working on my car.

Good luck

Ken

Archived