TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon Fiber chin spoiler

FiaCobra

Anyone make the swap to the plastic chin spoiler from the GT500?

I did that today. Only cost $97 for the plastic piece. It went on rather easily and I didn't even have to jack the car up. Stored the carbon fiber piece away.

I'd post pics but....it looks just like the GT500.

I did that today. Only cost $97 for the plastic piece. It went on rather easily and I didn't even have to jack the car up. Stored the carbon fiber piece away.

I bought one but I have not put it on yet. I was not sure what it would look like.

Why did you change it? (I already know you're going to say costs. I just don't understand) Your wheels aren't cheap either. You might want to swap them out for the stock GT500 ones. I'd at least get that faux carbon fiber treatment to save face.

Edit: If I could afford a KR. and ACTUALLY kept cracking those things. I'd have the sickest garage display ever, because I'd have all of these carbon fiber pieces lined up on the walls.

That carbon fiber piece is begging to be damaged. I had to remove it when I got the car (it was never getting on the trailer without suffering damage) Decided to opt for the plastic splitter instead so I don't need to worry about it.

To be quite frank, the car looked much better without any splitter.

That carbon fiber piece is begging to be damaged. I had to remove it when I got the car (it was never getting on the trailer without suffering damage) Decided to opt for the plastic splitter instead so I don't need to worry about it.

To be quite frank, the car looked much better without any splitter.

I believe it. Those things are awful low. I like my Plate holder because it acts like a little skid plate.

i thought the carbon piece was to work with the air flow of the car thats why it is made different

While that may be true, this car will never see the track so it's a moot point. My car is a local cruiser that occasionally goes on 1/4 mile jaunts.

I think one of us needs to talk to someone familiar with vacuum bagging carbon fiber; should be pretty simple to reproduce the original unit, and probably at 1/4 that cost. The hood would be a different story.

This is my first post here, BTW. I'm Duane, and just picked up my '09 KR yesterday.

This thread caught my eye, as I scraped my chin spoiler backing into my drive for the first time, yesterday... No real damage, but I can see how they may not last long.

I think one of us needs to talk to someone familiar with vacuum bagging carbon fiber; should be pretty simple to reproduce the original unit, and probably at 1/4 that cost. The hood would be a different story.

This is my first post here, BTW. I'm Duane, and just picked up my '09 KR yesterday.

This thread caught my eye, as I scraped my chin spoiler backing into my drive for the first time, yesterday... No real damage, but I can see how they may not last long.

A big howdy from the great state of Texas. Welcome oldlugs. This is a great place. Watch the spoiler on the KR. It is incredibly expensive to replace. There is a thread someplace, but it is something like $5,000. No Joke!

You will find lits of great stuff. Congratulations on your KR. Fantastic car.

A big howdy from the great state of Texas. Welcome oldlugs. This is a great place. Watch the spoiler on the KR. It is incredibly expensive to replace. There is a thread someplace, but it is something like $5,000. No Joke!

You will find lits of great stuff. Congratulations on your KR. Fantastic car.

Thanks for the warm welcome, cobrafan!

• 2 months later...

It has been a long time since I posted a pic, but going to try. My splitter was broken by me only a couple of weeks into KR ownership, but, I did spin the car going too fast which I am happier to report than i just hit a curb. After the reality check of 3500 to replace, give or take a few hundred, then, not really liking the SS carbor fiber splitter, I hunted. I do not cherish being held hostage by anyone as much as I respect Shelby design and its products.

So, I am attempting to post my new splitter, improved from my old splitter. The new splitter has uni-directional CF. The old splitter was pieced togeher or appeared to be my my cf mechanic. The new unit is moulding with slightly larger venturis and incorporates layers of support under the lip to strengthen it against snapping. The finish work is smooth top and bottom and is not as prone to produce cf splinters when doing little things like washing your car. Hope you enjoy. The finish and fit are wonderful.

****ok, i have forgotten posting pics so stay tuned!!!

post-10795-126399483869_thumb.jpg

post-10795-126399501005_thumb.jpg

post-10795-126399508258_thumb.jpg

post-10795-126399483869_thumb.jpg

post-10795-126399501005_thumb.jpg

post-10795-126399508258_thumb.jpg

...The finish work is smooth top and bottom and is not as prone to produce cf splinters when doing little things like washing your car. Hope you enjoy. The finish and fit are wonderful....

That splitter looks fantastic! Where can we get them, and for how much..? (I tried to PM you, but got a weird message about the PM system not working...)

Cheers, Duane

I just ran across this auction on e-bay for a brand new CF splitter for a KR. The auction has just under 14 hrs. left on it, bid is at $521.oo right now but it has a Buy it Now price of $1500 if someone really needs one.

Item #: 300387633857

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-09-Shelby-KR-Gt500-Carbon-Fiber-Splitter_W0QQitemZ300387633857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45f07f8ac1

He says it is a $3000 item it is made by plasan, still has the sticker on it.

Could be a great deal for a KR owner in need of a new splitter.

I'll post this information in the 'for sale' section too.

FWIW, I have NO affiliation with the auction, just trying to help out.

Phill Pollard

[Looking for feedback for a marketable price. This is an item that is moulded and then hand crafted. Many hours go into each piece to insure proper strength and finish while working out as much resin as possible to keep the piece ultra light. It is a uni-directional mat of continuous carbon fiber. The original plasan piece, while nice, is cobbled together as though two pieces are made to be one. The original unit is much less refined in finish and does not have a strong lip, making it very very prone to fracture.

Feedback please!

Looking for feedback for a marketable price.................................Feedback please!

Well, since you asked.......

I can only speak for myself when I say this. What I was looking for was a piece, comparable in construction and function, but less in price than the original splitter.

The original splitter costs around $1k to replace. That is the reason I went with the $97 plastic splitter found on the GT-500. A $97 oops compared to a $1k oops is what prompted me to make the switch to plastic. If I found a comparable carbon fiber splitter for cheaper, I would consider it since i'll be able to retain the look of the original, but save myself some grief if the replacement CF splitter somehow got damaged by me bumping a curb.

I took a look at the piece you're offering and....while it looks to be better made, I was looking for something cheaper in price, not something better made.

Hope this helps but remember, it's only my opinion.

I'm not sure, but I think it's the same CF splitter found on the Super Snake.

FiaCobra - Where did you purchase your splitter, I'm doing some looking around...

thanks

FiaCobra - Where did you purchase your splitter, I'm doing some looking around...

thanks

I'm more apt to damage mine from the bottom up

Well, since you asked.......

<snip>

A $97 oops compared to a $1k oops is what prompted me to make the switch to plastic.

Hey, I have a idea (Ta-DAA!)

How about taking one of those $97 splitters and having it hydro-whatever they call it? (painted faux CF).

I know the painting adds to the price but it can't be 900 bucks worth....can it? (I may get a surprise lesson here).

Best of both worlds. KR (Carbon Fiber) *LOOK*, GT500 price.

Sometimes I even surprise myself! lol

Phill

If I remember right they are NOT the same. Maybe we can get someone with a SS to post a pic.

Harley, so that means the splitter from Bangastang is different from all other carbon fiber splitters ?

Someone asked where I got the plastic GT-500 splitter.....ordered it from a Ford dealership. Cost me $97. I was given a price break because the guys know me there.

Question: Why does everyone call it a "Splitter"? I always referred it to being a "Chin Spoiler"

Harley, so that means the splitter from Bangastang is different from all other carbon fiber splitters ?

Someone asked where I got the plastic GT-500 splitter.....ordered it from a Ford dealership. Cost me $97. I was given a price break because the guys know me there.

Question: Why does everyone call it a "Splitter"? I always referred it to being a "Chin Spoiler"

Here is a good explaination of the splitter and how it works. I'm not framiliar with Bangastang's splitter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/graphics/longterm/2007/pdf/NASCAR-future.pdf

Archived