TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Windows 7

Windows 7 officially came out on the store shelves today.

Anyone get it yet? I probably will eventually - interested in hearing actual user comments!

(P.S. No need for any "Mac is better" comments - we already have a Mac w/ Snow Leopard also, we know all about both!)

I've been running the Beta and RC for months, It's a nice improvement over Vista. I haven't found anything I didn't like yet (which I did with ME, 2000, XP, Vista).....

It's still early, but so far, so good

I've used Windows 7 since the beta came out. There are some tweaks here and there..some are nice. It uses a bit less resources than Vista. But overall...I wasn't overly impressed - what I mean by that is I actually like Vista...been using it for a year and half. No problems whatsoever. So switching from Vista to Windows 7 isn't that big of a difference in my opinion in terms of features and performance. I like them both.

Something is out newer that dr. dos?

Actually, I purchased a laptop with Vista last year, thinking the bugs would be out, they weren't and still is far inferior to previous platforms and very buggy. I've read many good things about 7, but will hold out until SP1 comes out before making the switch.

I haven't got a chance to play with it yet, but from what I have heard from other software engineers I work with, is that it is very stable and a big improvement. The biggest surprise was that I had hardcore Mac guys telling me this. So they must have done something right. but we will see.

I'm looking to possible upgrading to 7 from XP shortly.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I installed Windows 7 on my laptop; it works great and has noticeably speed up my computer, including startups and shutdowns. I also like the new features.

The only problem I experienced was that I could not install Windows 7 Home Premium over my previous Vista version (it was called Media Premium or something like that) w/out first removing Vista and all my other programs. So, I had to reinstall not only Windows but also all the the software I use, and then re-setup my Outlook mail accounts, locate and import emails back, etc.

In other words, if you're not computer savy, or at least somewhat like I am, make darn sure that you have a version of Vista that Windows 7 will install directly over, or have someone do it for you!

I bought a new HP desktop a few months back because it qualified for the Windows 7 upgrade when it was released. Original OS was Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Although not as bad as others, mine would suddenly freeze up requiring a hard reboot. Since installing Windows 7, whenever it acts like it's going to freeze up,the screen goes black for a few seconds and then continues on its merry way with a message telling me that it just recovered from a video malfunction. That beats the hell out of a hard reboot and a sharp stick in the eye. :)

One other thing I noticed. When running Vista, my laptop memory meter showed over 50% of memory being utilized at a minimum. Now, w/ Windows 7, its showing about 33%.

Archived