TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drag Radials for daily driver?

mullens

While the 305/40's are a bit taller than stock, they don't look bad at all. The Nitto's tend to run a bit more narrow than most tires of the same size. He will be unhappy going with stock size 285/40 Nitto's. They will be a lot more narrow than the stock F1's.

The 305/40's are the best all around compromise.

AFTER having the 305x40x18s on my car ... they are big .... but u get use to it ... PLUS .... with my 410 gears ,..... it changes the ratio because of the tire being taller prob closer to 393 ....

Im considering going to the lower pullie and will also go with the the new TB that everyone is ranting and raving about ... and the less restricted inlet and keep the factory blower ... those changes should get me over 600 rwhp .. and than ... than I will prob go to a 3.73 or possibly 3.55 gear set ..... I think the different gearing will help traction .. cuz right now i got none !! !!

Just trust me, they run narrow. The 285 Nitto's will look fine until you mount them and get air in them. My 305/40's looked great, wider than the stockers before mounting. The looked just about the same as stock after mounting. Don't know why, just the way it is.

They may be narrower in appearance only but the 285 won't look the part. Get the 305's!!!

they do run narrrow ... i concur

AFTER having the 305x40x18s on my car ... they are big .... but u get use to it ... PLUS .... with my 410 gears ,..... it changes the ratio because of the tire being taller prob closer to 393 ....

Im considering going to the lower pullie and will also go with the the new TB that everyone is ranting and raving about ... and the less restricted inlet and keep the factory blower ... those changes should get me over 600 rwhp .. and than ... than I will prob go to a 3.73 or possibly 3.55 gear set ..... I think the different gearing will help traction .. cuz right now i got none !! !!

With the 410 gears the taller tire proberly is helping you out some. I have the 373 was considering 410. If I may ask why are you considering going to 373 or 355. Maybe I should keep what I have.

Mark

Well the 410's really launch u quickly but u get massive wheel spin too .... a taller gear would help out in the launches in my opinion.

Especially if increase HP from my current base of 553 rwhp .... and add the mods that I stated in the above post .... I think I will be able to launch better ... faster with more hp ... with 373 gears .... My fame to claim isnt a drag strip ... but 2nd or third gear rolling starts

I've been following this thread as I'm getting ready to install a set of CS69 18" X 9 1/2" Shelby wheels on my 2008 SGT.

I was looking at the Nitto 555r's and while at the Nitto website, I saw the Invo series which appeared to have good traction (4 out of 5 vs the 555R 5 out of 5), great wet weather traction, and great handling characteristics. I also talked to a couple of speedshops along with Shonda at Shelby wheels who all recommended the Nitto Invo tires. Personally, I think they are rated outstanding for traction, short of being a street slick, coupled with the wet weather handling capabilities.

I've ordered the 255 X 45 X 18 for the fronts and the 285 X 40 X 18 for the rears. Cost is $195 here in Dallas.

Here is a link to Nitto's web site and a description of the Invo tires, which can be compared to their other tires.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.invo

Update....

I got the Nittos installed today. Fantastic tire, they hook up very well. From a stop in 1st then they have ot be feathered a bit. MUCH better than the F1's.

I measured them inflated, and they were slightly narrower than the F1s, but very little and hardly noticable. We'll see how they wear (not expecting much). Very happy I made the switch.

Thanks for all your input.

026.jpg

025.jpg

Just trust me, they run narrow. The 285 Nitto's will look fine until you mount them and get air in them. My 305/40's looked great, wider than the stockers before mounting. The looked just about the same as stock after mounting. Don't know why, just the way it is.

They may be narrower in appearance only but the 285 won't look the part. Get the 305's!!!

I agree, when I got the fronts replaced with 555s they looked like they did not fit in 245.

I've put on 1,000 miles on my Nittos 555R 305/18/45 up front and 275's out back, these tires are great for daily driving, look great, and are plenty sticky for taking back roads. These will likely be my choice tire during my ownership. I've got a good amount of power and you really have to hammer it to get spinning or sideways, well balanced with the power.

On an another note when I got my car back from the shop with the TVS and the Griggs kit, I still had the stock F1 tires on. I took it up the road and at 45 mph mashed it in second - the car immediately lost control and almost spun 90 degrees before I corrected it. Was frightening and I realized that the stock F1's have no place on these cars - especially with increased power.

Archived