TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drag Radials for daily driver?

mullens

OK, I'm getting tired of leaving all my HP on the street and want to replace these awful F1's. I was thinking of Nitto 555R's on the rear. I live in So Nv where it's sunny 300 days of the year, so would using DR's for everyday driving be practical?

Thanks

OK, I'm getting tired of leaving all my HP on the street and want to replace these awful F1's. I was thinking of Nitto 555R's on the rear. I live in So Nv where it's sunny 300 days of the year, so would using DR's for everyday driving be practical?

Thanks

Yes! I drive on drag radials during the summer months (450+ hp 07 Mustang GT). Don't expect to get more than 5-10K miles out of a set of drag radials on the street. Do expect to have a lot more fun driving with the added traction to get all your HP to the ground!

Thanks

I've had the Nitto and the M/T and I like the M/t hands down the best.

It only took 2 posts to convince me. Nitto 555r's on order. I went with the Nittos because I wanted to stay with the stock tire size.

Thanks for the responses!

Yah I just put on the Nitto 555r, awesome traction both in the turns and the straights

It only took 2 posts to convince me. Nitto 555r's on order. I went with the Nittos because I wanted to stay with the stock tire size.

Thanks for the responses!

I just bought a set of Mickey Thompson 305/35/18 ET Street Radial II's and they are the same height as stock. They are wider and fit on the stock wheel. The car rides better and quieter than the F1's. I have read here that the Nittos last longer than the M/T's. The Nittos don't grip as well as the M/T's but are better than F1's.

I've had both. M/T's offer more traction, but don't get caught in a rain shower or you'll end up sideways like I did! They lasted about 5K miles with no track time. I have Nitto's 305'/18's on now. They are lasting longer, but can't hold 2nd gear with 50-60 deg weather and 570hp. They are better in wet weather, but I am very gentle with the car if I get caught on a wet road.

I just bought a set of Mickey Thompson 305/35/18 ET Street Radial II's and they are the same height as stock. They are wider and fit on the stock wheel. The car rides better and quieter than the F1's. I have read here that the Nittos last longer than the M/T's. The Nittos don't grip as well as the M/T's but are better than F1's.

305/35/18s are not the same height as stock, they are shorter.

I've had both. M/T's offer more traction, but don't get caught in a rain shower or you'll end up sideways like I did! They lasted about 5K miles with no track time. I have Nitto's 305'/18's on now. They are lasting longer, but can't hold 2nd gear with 50-60 deg weather and 570hp. They are better in wet weather, but I am very gentle with the car if I get caught on a wet road.

Having Nittos before too .... When I wear out my goodyears I will be going back to them as a every day driver.

I use to have two sets of rims .... one with the nittos ..... and the other set m stock goodyears.

Worked out real well .... may just go back to that.

I do agree with "70SCJ" that when the temps drop .... they dont hold worth s*** ..... a year ago Im driving home in 40 degree weather ( S. Florida ) and not really getting on it spun in third gear which really surprised me

The 305/40/18 will fit but they look like a truck tire just not a good stance. They do grip good though.

While the 305/40's are a bit taller than stock, they don't look bad at all. The Nitto's tend to run a bit more narrow than most tires of the same size. He will be unhappy going with stock size 285/40 Nitto's. They will be a lot more narrow than the stock F1's.

The 305/40's are the best all around compromise.

While the 305/40's are a bit taller than stock, they don't look bad at all. The Nitto's tend to run a bit more narrow than most tires of the same size. He will be unhappy going with stock size 285/40 Nitto's. They will be a lot more narrow than the stock F1's.

Not doubting you but how can the Nittos be any narrower when it's also a 285/40? The 285 indicates the tire is 285 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall. I can understand the 305/40's being taller than stock, as the aspect ratio is different, but 285's should all be the same width.

Not doubting you but how can the Nittos be any narrower when it's also a 285/40? The 285 indicates the tire is 285 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall. I can understand the 305/40's being taller than stock, as the aspect ratio is different, but 285's should all be the same width.

Just trust me, they run narrow. The 285 Nitto's will look fine until you mount them and get air in them. My 305/40's looked great, wider than the stockers before mounting. The looked just about the same as stock after mounting. Don't know why, just the way it is.

They may be narrower in appearance only but the 285 won't look the part. Get the 305's!!!

So where'd the best deal on these Nitto's??

The best deal I found is from Discount tire direct. $282 ea free shipping. They are special order so they will take about 10 days depending on your location. I shopped around and everyone else wants over $300 or they kill you on shipping. The best thing is if you find it lower elsewhere they will beat it.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/t...ail.do?pc=40504

It's cool that we all have different taste ! How about posting some pics with the 305/40/18 m/t and the 305/35/18 also anyone running the nitto post up.

I've had the Nitto and the m/t 305/35/18 and like the m/t best. I have a good friend here on Team Shelby who had the 305/40/18 m/t and after seeing mine he runs the 40's at the track and the 35's on the street for better looks. jmho

Just trust me, they run narrow. The 285 Nitto's will look fine until you mount them and get air in them. My 305/40's looked great, wider than the stockers before mounting. The looked just about the same as stock after mounting. Don't know why, just the way it is.

They may be narrower in appearance only but the 285 won't look the part. Get the 305's!!!

Too late already ordered the 285's. Geez I hope my friends don't clown me for having mini cooper tires on the back of my Shelby! (Sorry just being a smart a$$). Seriously thanks for the info I'll definitley post up pics of mounted F1's vs 555's.

Yes, the Nitto's run narrow. The 305 is measures 295 across. The 285s will be less than 285.

I run Nitto DRs on 3 vehicles I own... my GT500 (578rwhp), TT Z06 (606rwhp), and Lightning (460rwhp)... I think they are exceptional tires for driving around on the street with the type of driving I do. As others have stated... they will not hook like a M/T or BFG. However, I will never own a set of BFG DRs again. Might as well have a bias-ply set of slicks on the rear of the car, as making abrupt handling manuevers will potentially put you in the ditch...even in dry weather. If you want a straight-line car to cruise and street race on the weekend, then the Nitto will not make you really happy. They will not hook up any of my vehicles from a dig. However, from a roll-on, they work extremely well (I have stock 3.31 gearing which helps), and if you slip the clutch out, you'll hook up from a standing start... you just give up some 60' time for sure. But I don't do much drag racing anymore, so these work well.

Here are two pics of mine... I run 305/40-18s. _Actual_ measurement with them mounted and with load on them is 27.1" tall, so they are not too tall.

post-26454-1256347089_thumb.jpg

post-26454-1256347098_thumb.jpg

post-26454-1256347089_thumb.jpg

post-26454-1256347098_thumb.jpg

It's cool that we all have different taste ! How about posting some pics with the 305/40/18 m/t and the 305/35/18 also anyone running the nitto post up.

I've had the Nitto and the m/t 305/35/18 and like the m/t best. I have a good friend here on Team Shelby who had the 305/40/18 m/t and after seeing mine he runs the 40's at the track and the 35's on the street for better looks. jmho

Here's my M/T 305/35/18's:

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

Archived