TEAM SHELBY FORUM

fire extinguisher

I got hassled for the first time at the track this weekend about not having a fire extinguisher mounted in my car. The SAAC crew has always been a lot more strict than any other open track officials I've dealt with, but even they never gave me a 2nd look until yesterday. I was told I needed to have a 2.5 lb bottle mounted on a metal bracket in my car, in order to pass tech. Luckily I was able to skate by with a loaner in the glove box for the day, but I probably won't be so lucky next time.

So who has one mounted in their car? Where? Which brand did you go with and where did you buy it? Any other particulars that I should be aware of before ordering a kit?

Thanks for any help.

Ken

EDIT: So far, I've found this, but it's universal. Looks like a clean set up though: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/safecr...re_systems.html

r9540_mustang.jpg

I got hassled for the first time at the track this weekend about not having a fire extinguisher mounted in my car. The SAAC crew has always been a lot more strict than any other open track officials I've dealt with, but even they never gave me a 2nd look until yesterday. I was told I needed to have a 2.5 lb bottle mounted on a metal bracket in my car, in order to pass tech. Luckily I was able to skate by with a loaner in the glove box for the day, but I probably won't be so lucky next time.

So who has one mounted in their car? Where? Which brand did you go with and where did you buy it? Any other particulars that I should be aware of before ordering a kit?

Thanks for any help.

Ken

EDIT: So far, I've found this, but it's universal. Looks like a clean set up though: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/safecr...re_systems.html

r9540_mustang.jpg

The setup in the picture has been used by someone else on the forum, don't remember who, but I remember seeing that setup before and they said that it was solid and functioned well. Be sure to stick with a Halon extinguisher...yes, it's more expensive, but if you ever have a "small" fire and have to use it, it is much better for your car...at least you can clean it up and be back on the road again....

Hi Ken,

Here is my set up:

Alcoa019.jpg

It was Rick Yates (pottydr) who came up with it. The bracket fits on the bar that adjusts the up and back movement of the passenger seat. I used hose clamps that come with a built in turn key so you can tighten them without a screwdriver. It works really well and the cost is only the cost of the clamps.

Here is one web site that has the hose clamps. I got mine at the auto parts store. http://www.hweckhardt.com/clamps/Ideal_Aut...er%20Clamp.html

Good luck. Now you just need that tow hook:

TowHook025.jpg

TowHook027.jpg

TowHook028.jpg

Jim

Be sure to stick with a Halon extinguisher...yes, it's more expensive, but if you ever have a "small" fire and have to use it, it is much better for your car...at least you can clean it up and be back on the road again....

+1 on the Halon.

Jim

After seeing Roger's post here Link I realized that this universal mount will very likely mount up under the glove box. I've played around with a couple of 3/4" aluminum plates and drilled holes into it that would mount in the 4-existing screws that basically holds the glovebox door on, check it out Ken.

So, i'm thinking you could get this universal mount and maybe using the included "L" brackets mount up to at least a couple of those bolts under the glove box? The only question will be is "clearance" for any passengers and whether or not someone doesn't mind having a fire extinguisher shoved into their shin bones in an accident.

Another option I considered is popping off the sill plate on the passenger side and riveting something into the body there which then would extend beyond the sill plate and you can mount brackets there. The final consideration was to simply rivet brackets to the inside of the bottom part of the sill and it rests along the floorboard.

That's all great info. Thanks a lot guys. Looks like the pic I found on the Porsche site was actually of Roger's install. Very cool.

Halon it is. I'll get the fire extinguisher ordered up asap, then see if I can't build a bracket similar to the one Roger used. Thanks again!

Ken

Myself and Jim just used 2 clamps and bolted it to the seat adjuster, works fine, Is firm and easy to take off and very low cost, the brackett was metal and very soild, If my car was on fire, I would probley get outta the car before I would think about opening a hood and trying to put a fire out, as I can always buy another car, But I cant be replaced :D

as I can always buy another car, But I cant be replaced :D

I wonder what my wife would say to that if I were to reiterate the sentiment! :lol:

Thanks for the info man. I'm going to wait for the fire extinguisher to show up then try to come up with a similar solution.

Do either you or Jim have pics of the mounting hardware without the extinguisher in the way?

Ken

I use a Halon extinguisher.

If you want to make the SCCA officials happy, then I would put on all my gear helmet, hans etc, then strap myself in the seat then look for a location that is close to me.

SCCA requires that the extinguisher be mounted where it can be accessible to the driver when fully strapped and geared.

I do like the under seat location for my recreational racer.

SCCA requires that the extinguisher be mounted where it can be accessible to the driver when fully strapped and geared.

I did not know that. As a recreational racer, I am with Rick, if my car catches fire, I am outta there. I have heard and subscribe to this mantra: "May you use your fire extinguisher only on someone else's car."

Jim

I did not know that. As a recreational racer, I am with Rick, if my car catches fire, I am outta there. I have heard and subscribe to this mantra: "May you use your fire extinguisher only on someone else's car."

Jim

:hysterical: That's a mantra I can hop on board with

Here's the halon extinguisher I got in the mail the other day. It's really a cool looking little unit. I'm going to hold off on installing it till I get the Griggs roll bar in.

I plan on attaching it to the roll bar instead of the passenger seat.

Here's the can:

DSC00437.jpg

Here's how I want to mount it:

IMG_0488%20(Large).JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the brackets I settled on for my fire extinguisher. They are both sold by H3R and are made of billet aluminum. I purchased them from Summit.

The big clamp is able to be used with several different brackets. The small round bracket is what attaches it to the roll bar.

Now that the powdercoating is done, I just need Mr. Griggs to ship my new roll bar to me so I have something to attach this thing to.

Ken

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

When I looked at the first couple of pictures I was wondering how do you release the fire extinguisher then I saw the last one (pull the pin). Very nice heavy duty assembly.

Remember PASS

Pull, Aim, Squieze & Sweep

Better yet, hope you do not ever need it.

This has been an informative thread - lots of options. Like many, mine is mounted to the passenger seat adjustment bar. And that is just fine for using it on someone else's car. In the end, though, we have to have a way to deal with a fire in our car and do it in real time.

This thread speaks to what can happen out there: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...;hl=suppression

Think about it: Uh oh, I have something bad happening under the hood. I stop the car, shed the racing harness, grab the extinguisher, get out, pull the hood pins, go back and pop the hood, get the hood open without burning myself, and put out the fire.

I am going with an under the hood fire suppression system. Check the above thread for ideas in that area.

Ken, not to give you yet another way to spend money on your car, but if I was putting the money into a motor like yours, I would give some thought to such a system. It would probably be an even easier install when your motor is out.

Jim

Here are the brackets I settled on for my fire extinguisher. They are both sold by H3R and are made of billet aluminum. I purchased them from Summit.

The big clamp is able to be used with several different brackets. The small round bracket is what attaches it to the roll bar.

Now that the powdercoating is done, I just need Mr. Griggs to ship my new roll bar to me so I have something to attach this thing to.

Ken

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

Ken, Go on line at HRPWorld.com, and check out the on board fire system set ups. I would go with the 3 nozzle, 10#, mounted in the trunk. If your going to do more and more track time, you deffinetly need the on board system.

Ken, Go on line at HRPWorld.com, and check out the on board fire system set ups. I would go with the 3 nozzle, 10#, mounted in the trunk. If your going to do more and more track time, you deffinetly need the on board system.

This will take you right to the fire suppression gear they sell: http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_cat...action=category

Their site is not as informative as others that are on the thread I shared with you but they sell quality stuff.

Jim

• 2 years later...

I found another option: http://speedtactics....ang_0509feb.php

Cost is $57.99 for the Brushed Aluminum /Silver Bracket and $59.99 for the all black version.

If you use a 1.5 lb extinguisher, it will clear the the seat handle and you can adjust the seat as usual. If you use a larger one for example 2.5 lb, it limits the seat moving forward.

post-32744-0-40107200-1332744192_thumb.jpg

post-32744-0-21814100-1332744199_thumb.jpg

post-32744-0-40107200-1332744192_thumb.jpg

post-32744-0-21814100-1332744199_thumb.jpg

Archived