TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RIPOFF at > $38K

wildcat

Let's cut to the chase ... this car is a ripoff at this price. I followed the GT500 for 2 years prior to its release, but due to the high ADM I had to give up on it. This Shelby GT looked to be the perfect "sleeper" to come in at a much more reasonable price and still have the Shelby name on it. I've been anxiously awaiting the price for months. And now it becomes painfully obvious that this is even more of a ripoff than the GT500. Heck, this thing will cost nearly as much, and most of the ad-ons are just cosmetic.

This seals the deal for me. I'm going with a stock GT and adding some of my own mods. Later suckers! RUF had it right 4 months ago when he did the same thing!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's cut to the chase ... this car is a ripoff at this price. I followed the GT500 for 2 years prior to its release, but due to the high ADM I had to give up on it. This Shelby GT looked to be the perfect "sleeper" to come in at a much more reasonable price and still have the Shelby name on it. I've been anxiously awaiting the price for months. And now it becomes painfully obvious that this is even more of a ripoff than the GT500. Heck, this thing will cost nearly as much, and most of the ad-ons are just cosmetic.

This seals the deal for me. I'm going with a stock GT and adding some of my own mods. Later suckers! RUF had it right 4 months ago when he did the same thing!

I agree with you that this car is overpriced but your post is a little harsh. For one show a little respect to other board members, were not suckers as you have put it. :finger: Second, your title could have been a little more diplomatic. Were lucky that Amy B posts on our site and has her own forum here. We don't need posts like this making her want to leave. :rant:

I would love to have a Ferrari, I have had the chance to ride in a few. I had to settle for a GT500. We can't always have everthing we want, but don't just settle. Buy the GT and make it what you want. Maybe eventually you can get a Shelby if that is what you want. I hope to see some pics. of whatever you decide on. please refrain from lashing out at forum members...we aren't the ones setting the prices, and this is not the place to rag on SAI!

Why dont you get a KIA, their cheap. That should save you some dough.

Man, you all bash stuff all the time (I should know, I check this website daily, even though I save my posts for stuff that IMO needs to be said). So when I come out and say exactly what you all know is on everyone's mind, you bash me for it. So be it. How can you say paying over 40K for a shelby gt with only 319 HP doesn't make you a sucker!!!???!!!. By the time you ad the supercharger (which still won't get it to the power of the GT500), you'll be paying more than the GT500 with it's ADM!!!!!

Sorry that you all don't agree, but there's no way around it. Paying $48-53K for a Shelby GT w/supercharger (considering $5K for supercharger and at least $5K for ADM) DOES make you a SUCKER!!! Disagree and flame me if you want, but it's an undeniable fact!

Man, you all bash stuff all the time (I should know, I check this website daily, even though I save my posts for stuff that IMO needs to be said). So when I come out and say exactly what you all know is on everyone's mind, you bash me for it. So be it. How can you say paying over 40K for a shelby gt with only 319 HP doesn't make you a sucker!!!???!!!. By the time you ad the supercharger (which still won't get it to the power of the GT500), you'll be paying more than the GT500 with it's ADM!!!!!

Sorry that you all don't agree, but there's no way around it. Paying $48-53K for a Shelby GT w/supercharger (considering $5K for supercharger and at least $5K for ADM) DOES make you a SUCKER!!! Disagree and flame me if you want, but it's an undeniable fact!

I would not say it makes you a "Sucker", it might make you a fool in other peoples eyes, but that is true on a lot of things. What I am willing to pay for say my house, others would not, what I would pay for my wifes ring, others would not. We buy stuff all the time like this. If its in your budget and you like it why not? For some people here the Shelby name is very important, for others its an SVT product or simply a Ford Mustang. It boils dwon to whatever floats your boat. But folks dont like others saying their choices are bad and in this medium of bloging you only have the words to go by, so it reads probably a lot worse than intended. My 2 cents

:stats: I apologize for the length, if you don't want my two cents please skip over. :stats:

:rant: Perhaps if you pay $10,000 ADM you would be a sucker but I would disagree with that also. I haven't heard of too many people buying GT500s at sticker (yes I am sure there are some, but it is not the norm). So is the GT500 worth $60-75K. In my opinion no. However, more power to those that think it is. It is their money and their choice. Was your outrage the same when the 500HP GT500 that was promised to sell for under $40K came in at $43K????

:rant: I have loved Shelby since I was ten and could first tell the difference. Can I afford a '67 GT500. No Way. So along comes the '07 GT500. Could I afford one? At $43K, sure. At $60K-75K, no.

:rant: So along comes the Shelby GT. A partnership of building by Ford and SAI more like the 65' GT350s. Marginal power increase; much like the '65 GT350s but better handling, better styling and SAI's hands actually touching the vehicle (not say the GT500 isn't a Shelby). I kept my name at #3 on a GT500 list and put my name at #1 for a Shelby GT. Eventually I decided the Shelby GT was the car I wanted.

:rant: With a lot of phone calls and emails I was fortunate to find a new dealer to sell me a Shelby GT at sticker which will be $38,111 with everything but the space wasting Shaker 1000. Gas Gussler tax is another $1000. That is unfortunate but so is sales tax and registration. Was the GT500s GGT included in the $43? Is the Shelby GT worth it to me? YES.

:rant: Lastly, as for not being able to compete with the GT500. When I add the supercharger to the Shelby GT it will produce 470HP (as Amy put it "a safe calibration, could produce more with tuning"). Thats 30 HP less then the GT500. But the Shelby GT is pushing a 300+ pound lighter car. The Shelby GT with a lighter front is a better balanced car and is most likely going to handle better.

:rant: Wrapping up my rant: I am not a sucker, I chose the car I wanted knowing the entry point was going to be about $35K. It still is $35,970 for a no option Deluxe. I added options driving my MSRP to $38. If somebody chooses a GT500 at $43-65 more power to them. If somebody chooses a Shelby GT from $36-50K (with add ons) more power to them. If you want to buy a GT at $28-30K and add $5-15K in mods great, go for it. Everybody is free to choose the car that gets there blood pumping and hopefully not demean themselves by putting down other peoples choice.

Off my soap box :banghead:

Perhaps it would be good to remember that there are many different motives for buying a car. For example, if performance/price is the only criteria, someone could get more bang for the buck by buying a GT and adding the upgrades themselves. However, others may like the styling or the exclusivity of brand which might result in a different depreciation/appreciation profile. Neither view is "better" or "worse" just different.

I appreciate people voicing their opinions on this forum and I do occasionally. I try to follow 2 suggestions when I do: 1. explain why & 2. don't denigrate others who don't hold the same opinion as I do.

:stats: I apologize for the length, if you don't want my two cents please skip over. :stats:

:rant: Perhaps if you pay $10,000 ADM you would be a sucker but I would disagree with that also. I haven't heard of too many people buying GT500s at sticker (yes I am sure there are some, but it is not the norm). So is the GT500 worth $60-75K. In my opinion no. However, more power to those that think it is. It is their money and their choice. Was your outrage the same when the 500HP GT500 that was promised to sell for under $40K came in at $43K????

:rant: I have loved Shelby since I was ten and could first tell the difference. Can I afford a '67 GT500. No Way. So along comes the '07 GT500. Could I afford one? At $43K, sure. At $60K-75K, no.

:rant: So along comes the Shelby GT. A partnership of building by Ford and SAI more like the 65' GT350s. Marginal power increase; much like the '65 GT350s but better handling, better styling and SAI's hands actually touching the vehicle (not say the GT500 isn't a Shelby). I kept my name at #3 on a GT500 list and put my name at #1 for a Shelby GT. Eventually I decided the Shelby GT was the car I wanted.

:rant: With a lot of phone calls and emails I was fortunate to find a new dealer to sell me a Shelby GT at sticker which will be $38,111 with everything but the space wasting Shaker 1000. Gas Gussler tax is another $1000. That is unfortunate but so is sales tax and registration. Was the GT500s GGT included in the $43? Is the Shelby GT worth it to me? YES.

:rant: Lastly, as for not being able to compete with the GT500. When I add the supercharger to the Shelby GT it will produce 470HP (as Amy put it "a safe calibration, could produce more with tuning"). Thats 30 HP less then the GT500. But the Shelby GT is pushing a 300+ pound lighter car. The Shelby GT with a lighter front is a better balanced car and is most likely going to handle better.

:rant: Wrapping up my rant: I am not a sucker, I chose the car I wanted knowing the entry point was going to be about $35K. It still is $35,970 for a no option Deluxe. I added options driving my MSRP to $38. If somebody chooses a GT500 at $43-65 more power to them. If somebody chooses a Shelby GT from $36-50K (with add ons) more power to them. If you want to buy a GT at $28-30K and add $5-15K in mods great, go for it. Everybody is free to choose the car that gets there blood pumping and hopefully not demean themselves by putting down other peoples choice.

your thoughts are well put and if you got a shelby gt at sticker $38,111 thats a great deal .THESE DEALERS ARE HARD TO FIND thers currently 2 shelby gt's on ebay both at 11,000 over msrp of 39,000 bring it to a current total of 50,000

Lets remember the most important thing of all is ......when you get in that car (Shelby GT500 or Shelby GT )and its finally yours , when you sit behind that wheel and get that feeling inside , your pride, your excitement and the relationship between you and your car , that’s all that’s really important, lets not forget that . We should respect each other, and share our love of driving and Mustangs. And at what ever price we have to pay for this right to own a Mustang of your choice , that life enjoy it while we can………life’s too short ……..

Golly, I never knew "sucker" was such a blasphemous word to toss around! My apologies ..... SUCKERS!!! :hysterical2:

...... I couldn't resist. All in good fun. Can't we all just get along, despite our difference of opinions

Lets remember the most important thing of all is ......when you get in that car (Shelby GT500 or Shelby GT )and its finally yours , when you sit behind that wheel and get that feeling inside , your pride, your excitement and the relationship between you and your car , that’s all that’s really important, lets not forget that . We should respect each other, and share our love of driving and Mustangs. And at what ever price we have to pay for this right to own a Mustang of your choice , that life enjoy it while we can………life’s too short ……..

Without quoting what everyone else said, +1.

Golly, I never knew "sucker" was such a blasphemous word to toss around! My apologies ..... SUCKERS!!! :hysterical2:

Please do not continue to inflame others on the board. Take it somewhere else, not these forums. Thanks.

Please do not continue to inflame others on the board. Take it somewhere else, not these forums. Thanks.

Oh, I'm sorry, am I the only sarcastic one on this board? I guess i've been on some other board the past year. Please forgive me. Do not become inflamed. I beg you, do not become inflamed. :stop:

ENOUGH ALREADY. THAT MEANS EVERYONE.

Stop replying and my thread will move down the priority list until it fades into oblivion. The more you reply, the more interest you develop in this thread, which in turn means more people rip me and I am forced to continue the sparring!!

Oh, I'm sorry, am I the only sarcastic one on this board? I guess i've been on some other board the past year. Please forgive me. Do not become inflamed. I beg you, do not become inflamed. :stop:

Stop replying and my thread will move down the priority list until it fades into oblivion. The more you reply, the more interest you develop in this thread, which in turn means more people rip me and I am forced to continue the sparring!!

Sparring, no. Make your points (and others their own counterpoints) without inflammatory statements, okay? This applies to you, me & everyone else. Remember, you threw the first stone.

After careful reflection and much soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that I have anger management issues. I was upset with the unexpectedly high price of the Shelby GT, and in a very unhealthy way I vented my anger at all of you innocent bloggers. For that I am truly sorry. I now realize that I must hang up my keyboard, retire from the message forum, and check myself into the closest anger management class. Signing off!

P.S. I'll be back when "they turn me loose from the nervous hospital ... uh huh"

After careful reflection and much soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that I have anger management issues. I was upset with the unexpectedly high price of the Shelby GT, and in a very unhealthy way I vented my anger at all of you innocent bloggers. For that I am truly sorry. I now realize that I must hang up my keyboard, retire from the message forum, and check myself into the closest anger management class. Signing off!

P.S. I'll be back when "they turn me loose from the nervous hospital ... uh huh"

We love you man!! :wub: Grabber and the GRinCH will give you a much needed hug :grouphug: So we can get back to the party! :party2:

Check this out, I call the psychologist to tell him of my woes, and when I mention the Shelby GT, he tells me that he's expecting shipment of his GT500 any day now, and that he got his at MSRP because his cousin is a dealer. My wall now has a hole in it shaped like my phone. I guess I'll try another shrink!

Check this out, I call the psychologist to tell him of my woes, and when I mention the Shelby GT, he tells me that he's expecting shipment of his GT500 any day now, and that he got his at MSRP because his cousin is a dealer. My wall now has a hole in it shaped like my phone. I guess I'll try another shrink!

:idea: No, don't do that. I have available, for a select few, a "Build your own Shebly GT5000" kit. Now, only $52,335 + only $4,444 ADM. Hurry, Send your checks now! :hyper: :hysterical:

:hysterical2: I think your cured!

I have to agree that in my opinion 38k for a Shelby GT seems high. I don't think there are 10k worth of mods on the car, compared to the 'regular' GT. It's only a matter of time until GT500's are no longer 'new' and come down to MSRP. When that happens, there will only be a 2k-3k difference in price between the 2 Shelbys. Anyone who puts a blower on the GT will end up paying more then a GT500, have less HP and not have the forged internals that come with a blower motor... this will basically limit you to 8 to 10 pounds of boost. Hard to make an argument for the GT. To each his own though...

I have to agree that in my opinion 38k for a Shelby GT seems high. I don't think there are 10k worth of mods on the car, compared to the 'regular' GT. It's only a matter of time until GT500's are no longer 'new' and come down to MSRP. When that happens, there will only be a 2k-3k difference in price between the 2 Shelbys. Anyone who puts a blower on the GT will end up paying more then a GT500, have less HP and not have the forged internals that come with a blower motor... this will basically limit you to 8 to 10 pounds of boost. Hard to make an argument for the GT. To each his own though...

But, that does sound like you've decided that $43K-$45K for a GT500 is very reasonable for all that you get. So, maybe the Shelby GT exists to justify the GT500? Just thinking out loud............

Archived