TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dash Plate 1428 missing in action

The Outlander

This whole Shelby "salvage title" thing is plain silly. I was a dealer for many years and saw cars burned to the ground or completely striped with "blue" (regular) titles.

If your car is stolen and recovered AFTER the insurance company pays you for it, then it will be a salvage title, even if there is ZERO damage to the car.

Refusing to reissue because of a title status may end up only punishing the victum even more in some cases. Reissuing with a police report will only encourage people to file false police reports in order to get their badges. I understand what Shelby is trying to do, but I think it could be done in a different (better?) way.

Serious damage (i.e. frame rail, roof buckle, heavy suspension, etc.) should be recorded in as much detail as possible. But kids taking a joyride or hail damage or hitting a dog (or shopping cart!) with your KR is a different story. There are "salvage" Shelbys out there in much better condition than many non-salvage Shelbys.

If nothing else offer to have the factory evaluate the car for badge replacement (at the owners cost, say $200). That would seem to be a "fair" comprimise.

Just my "non-salvage" $.02

Motorjock... that scenario is completely different and you WOULD have a police report documenting the theft of your plaque, and would be able to get a replacement as such.

The other scenario is that the prior owner decided to remove the plate PRIOR to selling it, completely different in my mind, I can imagine if the policy were to replace them, half of us would make a claim just to have the extra as a wall decoration!

It doesn't matter who took the plaque off the dash, it belongs with the car. So, if the original owner or person that wrecked the car kept the plaque, I would question his motives and not the current owner of a Shelby with a repairable damage.

The car is a Shelby with or without the dash plaque. I have seen more than a few Shelby's with far worse damage that were repaired just fine and didn't get stuck with a salvage title. The good thing thing about this car is what it cost and the enjoyment it will bring for hopefully a long time.

Seems like the process to obtain a replacement plaque for this car from SAI would be in everyones best interest except the sucker that took the original. My 2 cents.

Archived