TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dash Plate 1428 missing in action

The Outlander

Hello folks,

:happy feet: Love the site, hope to be a long time member! :happy feet:

I justs recently aquired a 07 GT #1428. But someone has removed the dash plate.

I have a story to tell of a very interesting development. I call the Shelby's "Mod Shop" as directed. I was able to talk with someone about the dash plaque, and I told him the story behind requisitioning a replacement. The car was a salvaged vehicle, all badges and plaques were removed but the one on the rad. support. He told me that due to being a salvaged car, they do not re-issue them. He then suggest that if I had a police report, them might be able to do something, I’m sure that report is going to be almost impossible to get. But he did say call back next week and speak to the supervisor. I have the title, to show prof of the vehicle??????, I can send photos if needed????

Not sure what the deal is? Do they not record the VIN number when converting the cars, and adding the Shelby Number???, I can supply the vin., engine, rear end, heck I can give them any number associated with this car. He said a lot of people are cloning them. I'm not cloning I'm trying to bring one back to life, and not let the metal eaters have it.

Can someone help me in this department. I'll call Rodger at the "Mod Shop" Next Monday, maybe get help then. Oh well, this ant over yet............ :banghead:

I almost bought a sgt that had the dash plate missing, but I contacted shelby first and got the same story... after thinking about it, i think they are right to not re-issue the plates even to documented cars, the end result would be more plates floating around.

Well, I think getting a re-issued dash plate, should not even be a issue. If you have the car, the correct vin, a rad. support tag with the Shelby number, and the title for proof, my thinking would be its still a Shelby GT. Not a clone, Not a GT, not a GT500 clone, but a Shelby GT. Anyway the vehicle was not stolen, but wrecked. I have the original title, and will try to get in touch with the original owner and see if he has a report or for that matter the plate. If it's a dead end then oh well, I'm sure not going to continue to buy authentic Shelby parts for it now.

I was wondering when a older Shelby is found in a corn field or in a pile of junk cars, or ina a barn under a mound of chicken stuff, and all of the badges and plates are missing, do those cars just become clones then. Just a brain fart.....

Oh well I guess it does not matter, It’s a salvaged title, Not worth anything. But I did pay 7,000.00. It has 14,000 miles, and I’m sure not going to worry about it. I enjoy bringing cars back to life. Hell by the time I get finished with it, who will care, its just a number, right? :shift:

Thanks for being a sounding board guys.

What they told me, was that unless the vin plate was stolen and I had a police report to back that up, they wouldn't replace it. I think the reasoning is that any other circumstance just means the current owner of the car decided to remove it and either keep it or sell it, and while that sucks for the next owner, that owner likely paid a lot less when it's missing those plates....

And I think the comparison to the older shelby barn find is valid too, pretty sure shelby isn't re-issuing plates on those either!

Seems pretty simple to me...........have your requirements and when the owner meets those issue a replacement.

For the record, we do not re-issue data plqaues for salvaged titled vehicles. If you review the history of the early vehicles, this becomes a serious issue determining a vehicles authenticity. Many questions arise regarding what happened and how much of the original vehicle was destroyed, replaced etc. Easier today do to multiple VIN stampings and locations but questionalble none the less.

We have been collecting VIN and CSM information form various sources for the last 2 years on salvaged Shelby GT's. When we obtain the information we note in the registry entry for that vehicle. In the new version of Team Shelby 3.0 there will be a section to post information to assist the registry in identifying questionalbe vehicle history. The rationale is to protect current ownership and future value and collectability.

Roger

Hi Rodger,

I was told to call you next week but it looks like that call is not going to happen. Your explanation works for questionable vehicles, but with title in hand, and you pick a number on the vehicle for me to check, I can produce it. The only damage is sheet metal, and a blown air bag. So to bad this vehicle will not be recognized as what it is. But I still have the rad. plate for my own satisfaction. Here is some pics of the vehicle, just in case you are wondering.

But its ok, Its just a car now. I'll do as suggested put up a plaque "This Space For Rent" Nice one. Thanks "mikewheels"

I know some are not going to like this but.

Take one of my 96 Impala SS/SC deers off and pin it there, or better yet put a Bow tie there. :lurk:

22536110040_medium.jpg

22536110039_medium.jpg

22536110038_medium.jpg

Sorry you mis-understood my response. It will be recgonized for what it is.

Roger

Nothing mis-understood, yes it is a mustang GT, No to dash plaque replacement.

My question would be if it’s no to the plaque why would there be interest in making sure the registry information is updated on the car. You would just call it done, x it from the registry and move to the next one. Unless you were going to consider re-issuing a plaque, then it would be a total different way to move forward.

Did I miss something else? Don’t mean to be difficult, I'm just trying to get the full understanding of this. Because there are a lot of salvaged Shelby’s to be acquired and I’m sure I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks this is a huge gray area.

Nothing mis-understood, yes it is a mustang GT, No to dash plaque replacement.

My question would be if it’s no to the plaque why would there be interest in making sure the registry information is updated on the car. You would just call it done, x it from the registry and move to the next one. Unless you were going to consider re-issuing a plaque, then it would be a total different way to move forward.

Did I miss something else? Don’t mean to be difficult, I'm just trying to get the full understanding of this. Because there are a lot of salvaged Shelby’s to be acquired and I’m sure I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks this is a huge gray area.

Maybe this will help: The VIN and CSM are married forever. They are registry cross reference tools. The vehicle history becomes important for future owners in determining authenticity. To "x" out the car means it was never built. We see several salvaged vehicles daily and record notes in the registry on the history, dates, damage and title information that may effect potential ownership

We cannot omit the origination of the vehicle. Just recording history.

Roger

Maybe this will help: The VIN and CSM are married forever. They are registry cross reference tools. The vehicle history becomes important for future owners in determining authenticity. To "x" out the car means it was never built. We see several salvaged vehicles daily and record notes in the registry on the history, dates, damage and title information that may effect potential ownership

We cannot omit the origination of the vehicle. Just recording history.

Roger

Ok thanks,

As suggested I added it to the registry, with the date it died, hope it helps. I looked at a carfax again on the vehicle and have a police report number. But seeing it's a mute issue, I'll drop it. The x statement was only to reference the car in being questioned not striking it from registry.

Sorry Shelby has taken this direction on re-issue of plaques. But by me adding the data to the registry obviously my car does exist, or at least I hope its referencing someone’s data base, not creating on the fly.

Good luck with the registry

I have to say that this concerns me deeply...What happens if I have an accident, and I'm injured, and my car gets towed to some storage lot. While it's there, someone steals my dash plaque. I go to get my car and have it taken to a dealer for repair, and the dash plaque is missing. Can I not get a replacement dash plaque? Seems to be the same thing that this gentleman is experiencing...he has the car, it's legitimate, but he can't get a replacement dash plaque because of a "salvage title"??? Just because it has a salvage title, doesn't make it any less a SHELBY...

The car still has the radiator support tag...he has the title...he has the entire car...should be eligible for a replacement plaque...I could see not giving him one if numbers did not match up, but this is kind of crazy...He doesn't seem like someone out to clone a car...I know I'd sure hate to be treated like that by SHELBY...

Just my $0.02 worth...

Motorjock... that scenario is completely different and you WOULD have a police report documenting the theft of your plaque, and would be able to get a replacement as such.

The other scenario is that the prior owner decided to remove the plate PRIOR to selling it, completely different in my mind, I can imagine if the policy were to replace them, half of us would make a claim just to have the extra as a wall decoration!

Motorjock... that scenario is completely different and you WOULD have a police report documenting the theft of your plaque, and would be able to get a replacement as such.

The other scenario is that the prior owner decided to remove the plate PRIOR to selling it, completely different in my mind, I can imagine if the policy were to replace them, half of us would make a claim just to have the extra as a wall decoration!

I don't know who removed the plaque...it could have been taken by the first owner prior to it being turned over to the insurance company, but it could have also been taken by someone while it was at the storage yard...who knows...I'm just saying that the gentleman has obviously tried to resurect a true SHELBY car and would like it to be as original as possible even though he openly admits that it has a salvage title. I don't see any problem with that as long as the VIN # matches the original SHELBY registry and he obviously has the original radiator support tag as well...I know SHELBY wants to limit the possibilities of cloning, but I can guarantee you that someone will come up with a plaque some day and sell it as "Original" whether it is or not and with or without SHELBY blessings...I just think it is a sad scenario that the man can't get another plaque when he obviously is trying to be on the up and up and is very open about the car... The damage to the car did not look all that bad in the pictures that he provided...seems insurance companies are all too willing to total a car when it should not be totaled...

I'm glad I'm not alone with this. But even having a police report, Shelby will not re-issue a Plaque due to the insurance company re-classified it as a salvaged title.

Im good with the answers I got from Rodger, It just shows how delicate the situation can be. I just found a 2008 GT500KR (CSM No. 08KR0155) black, 4,013 miles, $24,000. Front end damage, looks like something hit the driverside rear deck, The badges and Plaque is still there but for how long?

I did my part and updated the registry, and will complete the rebuild. I did find a aftermarket plaque but I have it reporting the date it died and the date it was brought back to life, and my information. So there you go. Take your plate off and put a sticker on it like Herts is doing, if you want to protect your investment. Looks like it's a item on the list of car handlers.

I'm glad I'm not alone with this. But even having a police report, Shelby will not re-issue a Plaque due to the insurance company re-classified it as a salvaged title.

Im good with the answers I got from Rodger, It just shows how delicate the situation can be. I just found a 2008 GT500KR (CSM No. 08KR0155) black, 4,013 miles, $24,000. Front end damage, looks like something hit the driverside rear deck, The badges and Plaque is still there but for how long?

Have information on the same car and a GO SGT in the same yard. But all of the wheels are gone on the KR.

Have information on the same car and a GO SGT in the same yard. But all of the wheels are gone on the KR.

Roger,

I know you guys are working on the registry. In the grabber orange thread, we are tracking where all of the 08 GO SGT are at. Can you tell me the CSM# of that GO SGT

I know this subject is being talked to death, but I would issue a replacement badge (im sure someone will figure oot how to make one in the future) and just list the car as a SALVAGE in the registry. This way for future value, etc, it would still be a SHELBY, just with a salvage title and worth less than a non-salvage vehicle.

P.S: Some states dont even allow to register a salvage title.

Roger,

I know you guys are working on the registry. In the grabber orange thread, we are tracking where all of the 08 GO SGT are at. Can you tell me the CSM# of that GO SGT

Can not see it but the salvage yard numbers on the windshields are part of the VIN. I can take the VIN and cross reference to obtain the CSM. Just have not got to that yet.

Ya it a sad thing to see. I'm still waiting on a reply from them. But that is the only one I have seen in a while.

It looks like there are way to many of them being front end wrecks. But I'll keep my eyes open for any others. I have quite a few other sites I buy from.

Oh and I just ordered my replacement dash plate, from an outside source. It's close to the ones on the cars but I added date it expired and date it was born again, Plus at the bottom it has "Salvaged Shelby GT", CSM No. and Vin. I hope no one gets to upset about it. Just a sticker but it will look nice, plus it will show right away that its a recovered salvaged vehicle.

Ya it a sad thing to see. I'm still waiting on a reply from them. But that is the only one I have seen in a while.

It looks like there are way to many of them being front end wrecks. But I'll keep my eyes open for any others. I have quite a few other sites I buy from.

Oh and I just ordered my replacement dash plate, from an outside source. It's close to the ones on the cars but I added date it expired and date it was born again, Plus at the bottom it has "Salvaged Shelby GT", CSM No. and Vin. I hope no one gets to upset about it. Just a sticker but it will look nice, plus it will show right away that its a recovered salvaged vehicle.

That GO Sgt is a CLEAN title (according to their site)

Archived