TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anybody here install their own home alarm?

Just wondering if anybody has installed their own home alarm system. I'm thinking of buying and installing the components myself. Because of where I live I wasn't going to connect to an alarm company.... thieves would be long gone before anybody ever showed up to check an alarm anyway. Is this worth doing myself or should I bite the bullet and pay for a service. One plus on having a service is I could get protection that could possibly save the family pets should we ever have a fire.

Any thoughts?

Just wondering if anybody has installed their own home alarm system. I'm thinking of buying and installing the components myself. Because of where I live I wasn't going to connect to an alarm company.... thieves would be long gone before anybody ever showed up to check an alarm anyway. Is this worth doing myself or should I bite the bullet and pay for a service. One plus on having a service is I could get protection that could possibly save the family pets should we ever have a fire.

Any thoughts?

I live in a similar situation, out of town. We installed a 6 camera DVR, door and window switches and 4 motion alarms and a LOUD as HECK inside/outside audio alarm. Fact is if they want in they will get in. A loud alarm would hopefully run them off. Oh and a few signs indicating a alarm is installed also are around the house. All our valuables are in large bolted down fire resistant gun safes. Our dogs help to detour thieves also, I am sure. Research what options you want to install then buy an alarm. I do suggest to get one that has a battery backup that works even with power failure. Ours is totally wireless. The dvr is self contained and on UPS for a 2 hour run time in case of power outage.

Has been tested once and worked great so far. Also caught a thief on the DVR stealing my wheelbarrow. A contractor working down the road. Should have seen his face when the sherrif showed up with a DVD video of his act.

I live in a similar situation, out of town. We installed a 6 camera DVR, door and window switches and 4 motion alarms and a LOUD as HECK inside/outside audio alarm. Fact is if they want in they will get in. A loud alarm would hopefully run them off. Oh and a few signs indicating a alarm is installed also are around the house. All our valuables are in large bolted down fire resistant gun safes. Our dogs help to detour thieves also, I am sure. Research what options you want to install then buy an alarm. I do suggest to get one that has a battery backup that works even with power failure. Ours is totally wireless. The dvr is self contained and on UPS for a 2 hour run time in case of power outage.

Has been tested once and worked great so far. Also caught a thief on the DVR stealing my wheelbarrow. A contractor working down the road. Should have seen his face when the sherrif showed up with a DVD video of his act.

Thanks for the input. How often do you have to replace the batteries in those wireless door and window switches?

Any indicator to let you know they are getting weak?

Already have the gun safe as well. We do have some neighbors so I'm hoping a loud siren will scare would be thieves away.

Probably going to have to cover every window and door as our dogs will probably render motion sensors, even the pet kind, useless.

Archived