TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sirius Radio "on-off problem"

just-larry

I may have discovered the mysterious "on-off" problem with the Sirius units. Seems that about 2 out of every 10 times the car is driven, the Sirius unit does not function properly. The head/display unit is on, the radio is on & at the right frequency, but the RF modulator unit (buried in the radio area behind the dash panel) is apparently not turning on. Accidently discovered that jiggling the ignition key made it suddenly come on & everything worked A-OK. So, I have just replaced the ignition switch (p.n. 98AZ-11572-A) and will test results. Seems that the rear of the ignition key unit is metal and goes into a plastic socket on the actual ignition switch, so some wear will likely occur. Somehow this unit is sensitive to the way the Sirius unit was wired into the harness. The new ignition switch is about $65.

just-larry car # 406 in MD

I may have discovered the mysterious "on-off" problem with the Sirius units. Seems that about 2 out of every 10 times the car is driven, the Sirius unit does not function properly. The head/display unit is on, the radio is on & at the right frequency, but the RF modulator unit (buried in the radio area behind the dash panel) is apparently not turning on. Accidently discovered that jiggling the ignition key made it suddenly come on & everything worked A-OK. So, I have just replaced the ignition switch (p.n. 98AZ-11572-A) and will test results. Seems that the rear of the ignition key unit is metal and goes into a plastic socket on the actual ignition switch, so some wear will likely occur. Somehow this unit is sensitive to the way the Sirius unit was wired into the harness. The new ignition switch is about $65.

Thanks for the information....always wondered why this happened. Please keep us posted on the results

J-L

The Sirius unit is powered by the factory Ford radio harness. Hertz used a power tap connector near the rear of the Ford radio so I'm not sure how the ignition switch could affect just the Sirius and not both the Sirius and the OEM Ford radio.

Sounds more like a problem with the Sirius insatll and/or Sirius unit then a problem with the actual car.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hopefully you discovered the solution. I never did get back to trying to fix mine. I remember you, me, and GTH391 were all having the same issue. I replaced my RF modulator and that made absolutely no difference. Please let us know if the iginition switch continues to solve the problem.

Hopefully you discovered the solution. I never did get back to trying to fix mine. I remember you, me, and GTH391 were all having the same issue. I replaced my RF modulator and that made absolutely no difference. Please let us know if the iginition switch continues to solve the problem.

Yes an update would be awesome!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Larry.. I have had the same issue since I owned the car. If you just start and stop the car it works. With the way it is wired, as described above I think the problem is in the Head End unit, maybe a bad power relay or something because the RF Modulator is not powering up. The other components are fine as you described. I have never had an issue where I had to power cycle more then once.

J-L

The Sirius unit is powered by the factory Ford radio harness. Hertz used a power tap connector near the rear of the Ford radio so I'm not sure how the ignition switch could affect just the Sirius and not both the Sirius and the OEM Ford radio.

Sounds more like a problem with the Sirius insatll and/or Sirius unit then a problem with the actual car.

Steve

I worked for Hertz in 2006 and drove many Sirius radio equipped cars other than Mustangs and the radios all pretty much did the same thing. Last year there was a post by a member who used to install these for Hertz and he gave a logical reply about this problem. I attempted to find the post but couldn't. Any one else remember the answer ?? Seems that if you turn off the radio but NOT the Sirius unit when you shut off the car then the problem isn't as bad. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking. Sure enjoy that free Sirius radio in my 2006 GTH.

• 1 year later...

Mine is still working. Been told the 2006 GTH has a lifetime subscription. I have not confirmed this other than from what I have been told by some Hertz folks.

harald,

your photos you have in your signature. are those 18"s or 20"s. they just look bigger than 18's.

Archived