TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winterize basic questions?

cbr1000

It's starting to get fairly chilly in my part of the world. I'm thinking about winterizing today before it gets too cold. My plan is to:

*Wash, Wax cover with sheets and my factory car cover.

*Full up gas tank, and add Stabil.

I think that's about it. It will sit for about 5 months. Anything else I need to do? I'm guessing it's safe to add the Stabil? I'd rather go without it, but since it's sitting so long I'm guessing I should use it. I don't want to disconnect the battery because I may need to move it, and I may do a couple bolt on modifications over the winter...

Should I worry about putting wood or plastic under the tires so I don't get flat spots?

It's stored in my garage.

thx

I would not use the sheets. They can retain moisture. Stabil doesn't hurt but I've never heard of anyone having issues after winter without it. I've read about some guys that put their car on jacks, I don't do anything and it has always been fine come spring.

IMO the best thing you can do is buy a Battery Tender and leave it connected to the battery all winter.

i have some classic cars and dont wintereize them.I think all the seals,rubber on the variuos engone parts need the lubrication of running at least once a month.So my drill is to wait for a dry day,and take the car for a 20 minute run,getting the car up to temp.If thats not possibel,ill let it idle for 20minutes,pushing rpm a few time.

Dont use the sheets, the paint needs to breathe.I use those breathable covers, but since i dont leave the cars outside,just buy inexpensive ones from ebay or Costco--theyre around $60.I think coverscar.com is a site too/

Be careful with the tender,theyve been known to short out and cause fires.If you run once a month there shouldnt be an issue.

Agree with waxing and treating the seats,especially if it get real dry (humidity).I use Lexol for the learher,and the Lexol vinyl spray for the inserts.Good luck,and keep driving.

It's starting to get fairly chilly in my part of the world. I'm thinking about winterizing today before it gets too cold. My plan is to:

*Wash, Wax cover with sheets and my factory car cover.

*Full up gas tank, and add Stabil.

I think that's about it. It will sit for about 5 months. Anything else I need to do? I'm guessing it's safe to add the Stabil? I'd rather go without it, but since it's sitting so long I'm guessing I should use it. I don't want to disconnect the battery because I may need to move it, and I may do a couple bolt on modifications over the winter...

Should I worry about putting wood or plastic under the tires so I don't get flat spots?

It's stored in my garage.

thx

I'm getting ready as well, do any of you worry about mice? Just wondering what people do to keep potential rodents from building nests

I'm getting ready as well, do any of you worry about mice? Just wondering what people do to keep potential rodents from building nests

funny you should mention that---i actually had them crawl up the tires and start a nest.When i started my monthly test,i smelled someyhing ,opend the hood and there sat the nest.Now i leave a baited trap,the old fashioned type.I use pecan paste,but peanit butter works--put in under the car.Dont know id having a cat is an issue.They last have a Have a Heart trap,but i find that they donw work as well

Okay, leaving the sheets off makes sense. I can see how they could retain moisture. I don't want to peel them off come spring time. It seemed like a good idea as an extra layer of protection in case anybody bumped into it. I have a battery tender. It worked well on my boat. I don't think I can drive it once a month due to snow, and salted roads.

I've always heard starting your car, and letting it idle during winter is bad. I thought if you can't drive it you want to leave it alone?

Sounds like I'm down to just wash and cover for my winterization.

You should not start your car unless your going to run it long enough to reach full operating temperature and burn off all moisture otherwise water will condense into your oil pan.

Okay, leaving the sheets off makes sense. I can see how they could retain moisture. I don't want to peel them off come spring time. It seemed like a good idea as an extra layer of protection in case anybody bumped into it. I have a battery tender. It worked well on my boat. I don't think I can drive it once a month due to snow, and salted roads.

I've always heard starting your car, and letting it idle during winter is bad. I thought if you can't drive it you want to leave it alone?

Sounds like I'm down to just wash and cover for my winterization.

if you let it reach opeating temp,which for me here in Atl is about 20 minutes,it'll be fine.I agree with earlier coment about not enough idling,but let it run as long as it takes.I used to live in St Louis,and it really wasnt that rough in the winter.You must be in the mtns.Just me,but id have a hard time not driving my car that long if it was a sunny day out,no ice,above freezing.Good luck

if you let it reach operating temp,which for me here in Atl is about 20 minutes,it'll be fine. I agree with earlier comment about not enough idling,but let it run as long as it takes.

I used to live in St Louis,and it really wasn't that rough in the winter.You must be in the mtns.

Just me,but id have a hard time not driving my car that long if it was a sunny day out,no ice,above freezing.Good luck

I think I would do that too...just take it out every week or two for a quick drive around town to let it reach operating temp....keep all the moving parts lubricated and such. But I don't know if that's possible where you are Cbr1000. Sounds like you are resigned to the fact that you have to put the car away for winter and not drive it.

Sorry I don't have any actual knowledge of storing cars for long periods of time to offer.

You should put the tires at the max. pressure as stated on the sidewall, this will help prevent the flat spots. You have the most important part already covered, being inside, thats the big one. I like to remove the battery from mine, I've seen stored batteries sulfate (I think thats what it's called) and leak acid from the vents, this would be pretty ugly under the hood. I've been storing cars for many yrs. and do not start them as it to difficult to get to full temp. just idling, I know the jury is still out on this one and will be forever but I can say I have never had a issue with anything. I stored other cars up to 2 yrs. at a time. If you really don't want to use stabil I think you would be ok for 5 months as the worst enemy to fuel is UV light. I stored both ways to no problem, however I notice a big difference with it in small engines. I had a run-in with mice a few weeks ago, If you've ever seen what a mouse can do to a car, not pretty, I now keep decon in the shop always. I reluctantly put mine away today, and already can't wait for spring, good luck.

I live in an area where most people have and acre or 5. There are lots of fields and farms. When it gets cold...the mice look for a warm place.

I keep my car in a car capsul for the winter. It keeps the air circulating around it and the mice out. Plus it can't get damaged by a bicycle or something falling on it.

I use the stable in the gas and put extra air in the tires and use a battery tender.

th_WinterizeNov2008044.jpg

th_WinterizeNov2008045.jpg

th_WinterizeNov2008046.jpg

th_Trannyoriginal096.jpg

th_Bubble022.jpg

I keep my car in a car capsul for the winter. It keeps the air circulating around it and the mice out. Plus it can't get damaged by a bicycle or something falling on it.

A bubble! Boy!

hehe... :P

Seriously, that is cool as heck for storing a car. Grabber...you are definitely a true asset to this site. Great info and suggestions as always...and we all know about the pics! 20ixcmr.gif

Grabber, can you keep that fan plugged in for months at a time? i assume you can since it looks like this product is intended for long term storage. if thats the case, it looks like a GREAT product, defiantly something i would be interested in for my car

Yes you keep it plugged in for months at a time. The front of the fan unit has a filter to keep the air clean that it sucks in too.

I live in an area where most people have and acre or 5. There are lots of fields and farms. When it gets cold...the mice look for a warm place.

I keep my car in a car capsule for the winter. It keeps the air circulating around it and the mice out. Plus it can't get damaged by a bicycle or something falling on it.

I use the stable in the gas and put extra air in the tires and use a battery tender.

I do the same as Grabber except the bubble. I store mine up on my 4 post lift under a car cover. I also change the oil to remove any moisture that may have accumulated in the oil. My routine is:

Drive to gas station, add stabilizer, top off, drive home to mix well in the tank and fuel lines.

Wash and wax car if needed

Add extra air (5 psi) to tires

Drive on lift. Change oil and filter. Idle a bit to circulate fresh oil.

Connect battery tender.

Put on Cover. Run lift up. :(

Spend winter on TeamShelby waiting for spring!

I am currently on the wash and wax step as of this weekend.

if you let it reach opeating temp,which for me here in Atl is about 20 minutes,it'll be fine.I agree with earlier coment about not enough idling,but let it run as long as it takes.I used to live in St Louis,and it really wasnt that rough in the winter.You must be in the mtns.Just me,but id have a hard time not driving my car that long if it was a sunny day out,no ice,above freezing.Good luck

Me too...if its a sunny day out w no snow/ ice and any salt has been washed away by rain I'm not going to miss a chance taking a drive! Of course, that only happens maybe never during the dead of winter...

Me too...if its a sunny day out w no snow/ ice and any salt has been washed away by rain I'm not going to miss a chance taking a drive! Of course, that only happens maybe never during the dead of winter...

And me,.......I can't sit and stare at it through the winter. If and only if the conditions are right, which may only be once a month, my car will be out and about.

Cobra - buy one to drive it, not stroke it! :shift:

Just drive the car,its not a toy.If it gets dirty thru the winter,have it detailed,Dont drive if its wet out, the salt will get on your bottom.Lots of folks think this car is collectible--Ive collected Pontiacs over the years, and they dont become collectible for at least 20 years,and with as many Shelbies as theyve made, i just dont see it,unless it a Snake or KR.So, dont abuse it,be careful,and drive it when its dry IMHO.

And me,.......I can't sit and stare at it through the winter. If and only if the conditions are right, which may only be once a month, my car will be out and about.

Me too....But it's going to be far more than once a month driving for me...I envision only 1 or 2 days a month where the conditions are so bad that I can't drive it and feel comfortable...unless "Old man winter" has something really terrible planned for us..that's my plan.

Just drive the car,its not a toy.If it gets dirty thru the winter,have it detailed,Don't drive if its wet out, the salt will get on your bottom.

My main concern is just to avoid road salt & snow and of course any ice storms we get. If the roads are clear..I'm driving. I have managed to keep my car pretty clean in winters past.

Meanwhile we've got two beautiful, sunny 70 degree Autumn days here today and Wednesday..time to DRIVE! Wooo-Hoo!

Archived