TEAM SHELBY FORUM

19 inch wheels max rear tire size ?

So will 305/35/19 tires clear the wheelwells in the rear?

And if so they are recommended for a minimum 10.5 inch wide wheel...11 recommended.

If I go to mount them on a 10 inch wide rim and track the car, could I encounter any problems?

I bought some wheels finally now for the rubber!!!! I am excited mod number 2 for me otherwise I am bone stock!! Pretty funny...for anything I own... :hysterical: Car started out pretty pretty pretty good indeed.

Thanks ken I was just sitting here with an oldschool calc...looks good.

What do the track guys say about putting a wider tire on the rim by 1/2 inch recommended rim size?

Instant bad handling and instantanious unbeaded death slide?

LOL I haven't heard of any cases of instant death slides at the track recently!

Honestly, I've never seen anyone on the road course with staggered heights before, only staggered widths. But 1/2 inch is 1/2 inch. I can't imagine you'd even notice man.

Ken

LOL I haven't heard of any cases of instant death slides at the track recently!

Honestly, I've never seen anyone on the road course with staggered heights before, only staggered widths. But 1/2 inch is 1/2 inch. I can't imagine you'd even notice man.

Ken

Nah I cannt drive even close to good enough to notice that I am sure...

But what I meant was the manufacturer says its for a min of 10.5 wide rim and the rim I bought is a 10 wide.

Tire manufacturere recommends a 11 wide but accepts 10.5 as min width of wheel.

A 295 tire gets on the right recommendation but the width is 11.9 on the 295 tire tread verses 12.3 width on the 305.

Thanks!! I know I mkust seem dumb with this stuff but I am :hysterical::hysterical:

Nah I cannt drive even close to good enough to notice that I am sure...

But what I meant was the manufacturer says its for a min of 10.5 wide rim and the rim I bought is a 10 wide.

Tire manufacturere recommends a 11 wide but accepts 10.5 as min width of wheel.

A 295 tire gets on the right recommendation but the width is 11.9 on the 295 tire tread verses 12.3 width on the 305.

Thanks!! I know I mkust seem dumb with this stuff but I am :hysterical::hysterical:

Hey man don't feel bad, I have my own thread from a couple months back asking about cramming 285's on the stock bullitts. ;)

As for 305's on a 10" rim, I can tell you that the sidewall will not look quite right, as it'll be bulging out from the sides of the rims, if even ever so slightly.

My brother put 305's on his stock 9.5" wide GT500 rims for about 2 days before taking them off in favor of 285's, only because of how terribly they were bulging over the side of the rims.

On the track, I wouldn't run 305's on a 10" rim, due to the increased risk of sidewall damage/blow out. On the street, I probably wouldn't care. If you can help it, get the 10.5" rim. If it's too late, I'd go with 285's/295's whatever is recommended.

Good luck! :shift:

Ken

Then a guy finds this on the Tire Rack site...

WTF :hysterical: :

Additionally, some vehicle manufacturers and tire companies have permitted rim widths that are not within the tire's original approved rim width range. For example: BMW has combined 235/40R17 sized tires on 17x7.5" rims (which are 0.5" less than the narrowest 8.0" wide rim listed for the size) on certain M3 models; and Chevrolet has combined P255/50R16 sized tires on optional 16x9.5" rims (which are 0.5" wider than the 9.0" wide rim now listed for the size) on certain Corvette models. While these applications have received the approval of the vehicle and tire manufacturers, staying within the approved rim width range helps assure that the tire's internal stresses are within its design parameters.

Then a guy finds this on the Tire Rack site...

WTF :hysterical: :

Additionally, some vehicle manufacturers and tire companies have permitted rim widths that are not within the tire's original approved rim width range. For example: BMW has combined 235/40R17 sized tires on 17x7.5" rims (which are 0.5" less than the narrowest 8.0" wide rim listed for the size) on certain M3 models; and Chevrolet has combined P255/50R16 sized tires on optional 16x9.5" rims (which are 0.5" wider than the 9.0" wide rim now listed for the size) on certain Corvette models. While these applications have received the approval of the vehicle and tire manufacturers, staying within the approved rim width range helps assure that the tire's internal stresses are within its design parameters.

If you ever plan on tracking, I'd stick with the last 1/2 sentence. ;)

If no, run the hell out of those 305's!

Ken

Amazing Thanks Frank. How do you like your Saleen wheels?

Aside from way-too-heavy-in-performance-uses you mean? They are great touring wheels in combination with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275-35 tires. Get them up to freeway speeds or higher and they are smooth and responsive. I think the inertia due to mass inhibits some if the high-frequency jiggle you might expect from such short sidewalls.

Actually, on a car like the Mustang with its relatively isolated stock suspension, it takes some pretty gross deviations in setup and components to make discernible, measurable changes in performance. Fat heavy tires and wheels are worth about a tenth in eighth-mile drags, from my measurements.

To answer your question, I really like the "Minilite-inspired" look and the way they set off a car's appearance, offset and rim-width-wise.

To add an observation or two to the tire-width-on-non-approved-rim-widths discussion: there were times when the most advanced road-racing cars used tires with sections narrower than rims; I don't remember the opposite being true among successful cars. Drag racers' rear configurations often seem to have treads wider than rims.

For my part, I wouldn't try to do serious or sustained cornering with tires mounted on narrower-than-specified rims, for the reasons mentioned in the TireRack article. Tire designers, especially of performance tires, are likely building in smaller safety margins than I would like to flirt with. I'd be less than comfortable if I knew I was beyond half an inch off-spec either direction.

On the other hand, some of the smilingest minutes I've spent were driving my race-suspension MGB on the stock tires: 155-14 tires on 4.5-in rims. They had such a tenuous grip on the road, and the suspension was so hard, you could twitch the steering wheel and be in a slide or drift at 35 MPH ! No cornering or braking Gs to speak of, but a fun way to experience wild car attitudes at low speeds. Kind of like one of those slither go-kart tracks without the mess.

• 2 months later...

OK I know I mod at a snails pace...but Yesterday I went with the 295/35-19 rear and 275/35-19 fronts in BFG KDW N2's.

Mostly due to the fact that PS2's do not come in a 295/35 and 30 series is not for me...these will be a matched set and the 305's in a 19 is non-existent...

Special Thanks to Frank S. for the wheelmaster site and his insights on this it really helped! happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif

I forgot Thanks as well to Ken!

TS...answers for all hysterical.gif

OK I know I mod at a snails pace...but Yesterday I went with the 295/35-19 rear and 275/35-19 fronts in BFG KDW N2's.

Mostly due to the fact that PS2's do not come in a 295/35 and 30 series is not for me...these will be a matched set and the 305's in a 19 is non-existent...

[ ... ]

I'm eager to see what the outcome looks like, and your reaction to the new style of performance!

I'm eager to see what the outcome looks like, and your reaction to the new style of performance!

I am too Frank! They said 3-5 days to get them in. I am going to weigh the car at the scales first, with wheels and tires, and with wheels tires and brakes if the scale guy can put up with me.

Honestly I do not know what to expect with the tire combo, hopefully it will stick better and I hope the staggered tires do not make the car goofy in the turns...

Thanks again for your advice, if it looks anywhere near as good as your CS with the black wheels in your signature pic I will be stoked!

I will keep ya posted as soon as they get installed...

Archived