TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Triple fatality in a GT500

owenkelley

Just posting this as a reminder to be very careful who you let drive your car. A guy whom I did not know, but we had several common acquaintances, was one of three people who passed away when he let a buddy of his drive his car. The streets were slightly wet from an earlier rain. Witnesses said that the car was travelling at a high rate of speed when it lost control, slid across a grass median and slid sideways into an oncoming pickup. Fortunately the family with young children in the pickup were not seriously injured, but all three people in the Shelby died. Those of us that have owned these cars for awhile know how they are going to react on wet roads and how easily they can get away from you if you're not careful, but when we let people who aren't familiar with that kind of power drive our cars we're taking some pretty serious chances. Have fun, but be careful.

When did this happen? Was it in Missoula proper or outside of town? These are fabulous cars but they can bite back.

Jim

It happened about a week ago in another state, but the owner was from this area.

Here is a little more information:

Multiple Deaths in Pettis County Crash

Highway patrol officials still notifying family members after deadly crash.Posted by Kristie Reeter on Sat Oct 3, 2009

Last updated Oct 3, 2009

Four people have died from a Pettis County crash Friday night at Highways 135 and 50, near Smithton.

Multiple agencies responded, and Pettis Co. Sheriff Kevin Bond says three males were pronounced dead on the scene, and a female died Saturday morning from her injuries.

Ten people were riding in the three cars.

The MO State Highway Patrol is still trying to notify family members and have not released names.

Jim

Bad judgment letting someone else drive the car on wet roads. Heck, i'd be terrified to drive it myself on slick roads.

Also, while wet roads are hazardous, don't forget about COLD roads. I went sideways in 3rd gear during a cold spell. Last time i'll do that.

Same thing happened to me last year....................didn't know I could scream like a girl until that day.

Me also. 45MPH and sideways drifting. I think it was around 45degrees at the time. My wife has driven it a couple times but never had the SC kick in. Other than the guy at the dealer changing the oil its only me and that's for everyone's safety.

I am the same way...no one but, me in my previous Cobra and no one in the forthcoming Shelby. My g/f hates that but, given she likes to speed and has a lead foot I told her it was for her own good. I would never forgive myself if she was hurt or worse in the car.

RIP for those people that were in that car...it is always sad to hear this type of story...

I tell ya, I scared the sheet out of my wife last week and it was not on purpose. My car is Stage II only with 2.6 upper s/c pulley and 3.73s. It was about 50 degrees and dry, tires were warmed up, and I was in fourth on the freeway cruising. Squeezed the throttle pretty hard to get around a car and kicked the ass end out a bit going about 60. It totaly caught me by surprise, and I was not expecting it. I had been in similar circumstances before and never had it kick like that.

I kind of thought it was funny at the time because she was so pissed at me for "going sideways down the freeway" (she's a nervous passenger), but it really wasn't. Even at 60 mph things can sprial out of control in a hurry. Definitely have to be ultra aware and cautious when piloting these monsters no matter how much seat time you have. I used to have my slightly modded, normally aspirated fox body in my back pocket. I knew exactly where it was going and what it was going to do. Not the same with this high hp machine under boost. That said, it is also a recipe for routine ear to ear grins so long as you're on your toes.

Be safe everyone!

Really sorry to hear about the tragedy.

For sure...I'm always super careful about driving in cold and rainy weather. Just like the day we have here today. Also...this time of the year with the leaves falling onto roads around here is another thing to watch out for. It can get scary really quick.

RIP, such a terrible loss of life :( In Houston this past weekend, a guy lost control of his GT500 on wet roads and rolled it several times. He was cut out of the car and spent several days in the hospital. His wife was just banged up quite a bit but they were both lucky to come out of it alive.

dead_shelby.jpg

dead_shelby.jpg

Here is a little more information:

Multiple Deaths in Pettis County Crash

Highway patrol officials still notifying family members after deadly crash.Posted by Kristie Reeter on Sat Oct 3, 2009

Last updated Oct 3, 2009

Four people have died from a Pettis County crash Friday night at Highways 135 and 50, near Smithton.

Multiple agencies responded, and Pettis Co. Sheriff Kevin Bond says three males were pronounced dead on the scene, and a female died Saturday morning from her injuries.

Ten people were riding in the three cars.

The MO State Highway Patrol is still trying to notify family members and have not released names.

Jim

That's actually a different accident than the one I was referring to, but another good example of how careful we need to be. The only close call I've had in ours was when we unknowingly drove into an area where hail had just fallen. The storm had already passed through, but it was raining pretty hard. I geared down from 6th to 5th and when I let the clutch out we were going sideways down a two-lane highway at about 70 MPH. Scared the crap outta me! Luckily there was no one coming towards us, and I was lucky enough to keep it on the road. We ended up going backward around 45 MPH with a friend of ours coming at us in his '07 GT500. I watched which way he went and made sure I went the opposite way. It was pretty interesting. The factory tires were definitely not intended for slick roads!

The only reason I'm not posting more specific information is because on the news website that deals with this accident, there is a blog where people are posting some very insensitive things about the owner of the car and his friends that were killed in the wreck, and their family members have been going to the site to try to find out more info about the wreck. They have to sift through the crap that is being posted about their loved ones, even though some of it may be true, they are grieving and trying to get through this tragic event, and some people using the anonymity of the internet are posting some pretty cruel things. I just want to remind people how dangerous these cars may be if we are not on our toes, but I don't want to add more pain to their families that are trying to deal with this situation, thay have enough to deal with without me adding more fuel to the fire of some very cruel people.

RIP...

This is always a very sad story. Unfortunately all to common. When I sky dived some years ago, we always started our training reading about others that were killed diving. Why? So we can learn from their mistakes.

My 10 year old son is soooo in love with my car that I constantly remind him it isn't a toy. It's a loaded weapon and can kill in an instant. For the benefit of all muscle car drivers we should have a section dedicated to topics of this type. It would serve as a constant reminder of the danger of bad driving decisions.

Palsm 23 "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...

... I will fear no evil"

RIP...

It's a loaded weapon and can kill in an instant. For the benefit of all muscle car drivers we should have a section dedicated to topics of this type. It would serve as a constant reminder of the danger of bad driving decisions.

Palsm 23 "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...

... I will fear no evil"

You know, back in the mid 80's the super cars of the world were Ferrari and Lamborghini. These cars were the baddest and fastest street legal cars on the road. These cars had around 500hp. Now any one of us can go get a 500 hp "supercar" a mere 25 years later. Yes indeed, our cars are a loaded weapon, respect it, enjoy it but most important, respect it. Fear the evil, fear it!!!!! Respect is your saving grace.

Rest in peace good souls, rest in peace.

QSS

You know, back in the mid 80's the super cars of the world were Ferrari and Lamborghini. These cars were the baddest and fastest street legal cars on the road. These cars had around 500hp. Now any one of us can go get a 500 hp "supercar" a mere 25 years later. Yes indeed, our cars are a loaded weapon, respect it, enjoy it but most important, respect it. Fear the evil, fear it!!!!! Respect is your saving grace.

QSS

Like my dad said after his first spirited ride in mine "you need to respect this thing, it wasn't too many years ago that NASCAR cars had less power".

Really watch it in lower temps. The combo of hard tires and increased power make sub 50 degF sprints a major handful.

Like my dad said after his first spirited ride in mine "you need to respect this thing, it wasn't too many years ago that NASCAR cars had less power".

Really watch it in lower temps. The combo of hard tires and increased power make sub 50 degF sprints a major handful.

+1 Wet or cold can get real dicey!

QSS

Ferrari's and Lambo's did not have 500HP in the 80's. A countach could barely crack a 14 second quarter mile.

RIP, this is another clear example to always use your common sense when driving these cars. I still haven't let anybody drive mine and I probably never will. I feel for all the families involved and hope they stay strong through this tragic experience.

Sub 50's???? You should try twenties! Mine's a daily driver here in New Jersey unless it snows. Let me tell you something, driving in twenty degree weather will give you a whole new respect for this car! You learn not to pull out in front of people, plan your highway merges, etc.

My condolences to the family.

yup, I drive mine year round up here in Boston on stock tires and it is difficult, you cant really give it any gas and the most dangerous time is the up and down shift

Is there a good way to shift without shocking the tires? I mean no matter how slow it always wants to shock the tires enough to slip them

(I am talking freezing temps here lol)

Archived