TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 runs standing mile top speed event

samg

Thats good and your right about less stress with these type of runs because its not continous rpms. I guess it comes down to how many runs you got in. I would assume 6-8 which wouldn't be too bad.

Roger

No power shifts -- I'm not that dedicated to beat up the car that way. I figured that since they were relatively short runs with some cool down in between (hour-plus down to maybe 20 minutes) I would be ok. At least by feel, the car did not seem to lose any power during the day but also it was getting cooler (relatively!) as the day went on -- so who knows.

Did not change any fluids yet. I think these standing mile events are much easier on the car than road racing. You are basically just winding it up through the gears once per run. The only extra stress to me per run is in fifth gear you are at high RPM somewhere around 5 to 10 seconds.

Thats good and your right about less stress with these type of runs because its not continous rpms. I guess it comes down to how many runs you got in. I would assume 6-8 which wouldn't be too bad.

Roger

More like around the six runs.

Also, went for the grill blocking because I thought the higher speeds would provide plenty of air mass flow for cooling during the runs even though the entrance area was reduced. Then I took it very easy on the return to keep the air flowing over the radiators. Like I said, the blocking did not seem to matter much regarding heat soak, but I cannot be sure.

More like around the six runs.

Also, went for the grill blocking because I thought the higher speeds would provide plenty of air mass flow for cooling during the runs even though the entrance area was reduced. Then I took it very easy on the return to keep the air flowing over the radiators. Like I said, the blocking did not seem to matter much regarding heat soak, but I cannot be sure.

Your a braver man than I but it looks to be a blast!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Forgot to mention -- car was totally stock except for removing the speed limiter thanks to a Jon Lund program.

Did you get the 93 Oct. tune from Jon? I just added it to my new GT500 but will not get it dyno'd 'till next Mon. Hoping to get 45+ hp gain.

By the way, 168 mph is "perfectly safe" in a GT 500, as the stock F1 tires are actually rated for 168 max! LOL. Probably a lot safer than my doing 135 on an '85 Yamaha V-Max on a 2-lane road back when I was young and crazy!

The 182 fifth gear max I mentioned was calculated from some mag's max 4th gear speed of 135, which I divided by the .74 5th gear ratio. Don't know if their 135 was at 6000 or 6250 rpm, though. You may be right.

Thanks for letting us know what these great cars of ours are capable of!

Did you get the 93 Oct. tune from Jon? I just added it to my new GT500 but will not get it dyno'd 'till next Mon. Hoping to get 45+ hp gain.

By the way, 168 mph is "perfectly safe" in a GT 500, as the stock F1 tires are actually rated for 168 max! LOL. Probably a lot safer than my doing 135 on an '85 Yamaha V-Max on a 2-lane road back when I was young and crazy!

The 182 fifth gear max I mentioned was calculated from some mag's max 4th gear speed of 135, which I divided by the .74 5th gear ratio. Don't know if their 135 was at 6000 or 6250 rpm, though. You may be right.

Thanks for letting us know what these great cars of ours are capable of!

Used a tune from Jon to just remove the speed limiter. Wanted to see what could be done stock.

Will try a 93 tune and other mods sometime later perhaps.

I was not worried about the tires/wheels. My big concern was aero stability, hood blow off, and suspension bump steer pertubations creating a higher angle of attack that would increase lift to something really bad. Also, fyi, know another GT 500 there that ran into the 180s/190s with the W-rated tires and lived to tell the tale.

Archived