TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 runs standing mile top speed event

samg

On October 11th I ran my 2010 GT500 coupe at the MileMarker-1 standing mile event in the Miami area. Quality of the timing equipment there was a big issue of debate (see their website: Milemarker-1.com). My best run was 168 MPH if you believe GPS or 153 MPH according to their basically hand held radar gun.

Also, fyi, it was unbelievably hot and humid. There were also lots of operational issues with how the event was run but overall it was all good. It is the only standing mile event that you can run powerful street cars flat out to their best speed without major modifications (e.g., roll cage, parachutes, etc.). So because of that thumbs up to them. The track was also very good as far as smoothness, width, and length. There is another event scheduled for sometime in January and I'm sure there will be big improvements based on lessons learned during the first event last Sunday.

More details and pictures to follow when I get back home. Had to trailer my car from Virginia to Miami because, like I said, only event in the United States like it.

On October 11th I ran my 2010 GT500 coupe at the MileMarker-1 standing mile event in the Miami area. Quality of the timing equipment there was a big issue of debate (see their website: Milemarker-1.com). My best run was 168 MPH if you believe GPS or 153 MPH according to their basically hand held radar gun.

Also, fyi, it was unbelievably hot and humid. There were also lots of operational issues with how the event was run but overall it was all good. It is the only standing mile event that you can run powerful street cars flat out to their best speed without major modifications (e.g., roll cage, parachutes, etc.). So because of that thumbs up to them. The track was also very good as far as smoothness, width, and length. There is another event scheduled for sometime in January and I'm sure there will be big improvements based on lessons learned during the first event last Sunday.

More details and pictures to follow when I get back home. Had to trailer my car from Virginia to Miami because, like I said, only event in the United States like it.

Forgot to mention -- car was totally stock except for removing the speed limiter thanks to a Jon Lund program.

Cool! Were you in fifth or sixth gear? I calculated it should do about 170 in fifth, at red line.

Cool! Were you in fifth or sixth gear? I calculated it should do about 170 in fifth, at red line.

Fifth gear. Sixth is useless for anything but econo cruising.

Fifth maxes out at redline at about 190 MPH. At 0.74 it is not the best for speeds in the range of speeds we are talking. I was shifting into fifth at around 135 to 140 MPH. You have to really get through fourth as fast as possible because you hit a wall of sorts with the tall fifth gear ratio and need a relatively long time to get from 140 to top speed in the mile while in fifth.

Great Pics!!!! I am suprised you didn't tape up your headlights. A rock at 168 mph would not be good.

Roger

I had plans to do so but the event's organization was hosed. So the GT500 and me got separated from my truck and trailor by the length of an entire airport and then some. We then had to stay near our cars the entire day as we did not know when we would get called to run. Short of it is you had to go with what you had in your car at the time or not run. All of my tape, fire suit, etc was in my truck. Just had my helmut and some water with me standing around all day in the sun with no shade in 95 degree humid Florida weather.

Fifth gear. Sixth is useless for anything but econo cruising.

Fifth maxes out at redline at about 190 MPH. At 0.74 it is not the best for speeds in the range of speeds we are talking. I was shifting into fifth at around 135 to 140 MPH. You have to really get through fourth as fast as possible because you hit a wall of sorts with the tall fifth gear ratio and need a relatively long time to get from 140 to top speed in the mile while in fifth.

Don't know where I got the 170...Should red line in the low 180s, I think. BTW, both GPS and radar guns are accurate, but unless they got the local idiot to stand in the middle of the runway with the gun, in front of you, the gun will be low, depending on angle between it and the car. As the car goes by, it will actually register 0 because the car is no longer approaching. The 168 GPS is the true speed you were doing.

Wow, sorry to hear. I live in Orlando and that heat is no joke, especially on a hot taramac. I am suprised they let you run without a cage. I assume they were not providing insurance coverage. I will tell you, you are a brave man as 168 would have scared the crap out of me ;).

Respectfully,

Roger

I had plans to do so but the event's organization was hosed. So the GT500 and me got separated from my truck and trailor by the length of an entire airport and then some. We then had to stay near our cars the entire day as we did not know when we would get called to run. Short of it is you had to go with what you had in your car at the time or not run. All of my tape, fire suit, etc was in my truck. Just had my helmut and some water with me standing around all day in the sun with no shade in 95 degree humid Florida weather.
Edited by mach1fever

Don't know where I got the 170...Should red line in the low 180s, I think. BTW, both GPS and radar guns are accurate, but unless they got the local idiot to stand in the middle of the runway with the gun, in front of you, the gun will be low, depending on angle between it and the car. As the car goes by, it will actually register 0 because the car is no longer approaching. The 168 GPS is the true speed you were doing.

Well, that explains what was going on. The radar gun operator was off to the side and varied his position. That is why they kept coming up with 5 MPH to 15+ MPH slower times than the GPS.

As an aside, will check my calculations, but keep arriving at an around 190 MPH at redline in fifth fyi.

Wow, sorry to hear. I live in Orlando and that heat is no joke, especially on a hot taramac. I am suprised they let you run without a cage. I assume they were not providing insurance coverage. I will tell you, you are a brave man as 168 would have scared the crap out of me ;).

Respectfully,

Roger

That was why I ran there, did not have to add all of the safety equipment to the car.

Would probably characterize it as more of a dumb than brave activity, though.

On the good side, I suppose I now own the more or less "official" or timed event speed record of 168 MPH for a stock GT500 of any year. Have not see any higher speed recorded anywhere for a stock GT 500.

That was why I ran there, did not have to add all of the safety equipment to the car.

Would probably characterize it as more of a dumb than brave activity, though.

On the good side, I suppose I now own the more or less "official" or timed event speed record of 168 MPH for a stock GT500 of any year. Have not see any higher speed recorded anywhere for a stock GT 500.

i woould think except for the exotics and vettes ,168 would be higher than almost ANY stock carNot sure about calculating speed at redline.at some point the aeros will slow down a car that doesn quite slice thru the air.Crazy,but fun

i woould think except for the exotics and vettes ,168 would be higher than almost ANY stock carNot sure about calculating speed at redline.at some point the aeros will slow down a car that doesn quite slice thru the air.Crazy,but fun

Agree. Not saying the 2010 GT500 can go 190 MPH stock with a mile plus run. Just saying the gearing and tire diameter lead to 190 MPH at redline. Think stock HP will limit it to something short of 190.

Agree. Not saying the 2010 GT500 can go 190 MPH stock with a mile plus run. Just saying the gearing and tire diameter lead to 190 MPH at redline. Think stock HP will limit it to something short of 190.

FYI--i went to a driving school at Road Atlanta with my C6 vette last year.They do quite a bot of testing on cars for the big manufacturers--its a 2.5 mile rack with 12 turns and a mile straigh backstrecth/.I asked on the of the drivers how fast they got the vettes in stock trim.ie 400hp.he told me 185,mine didnt quite get there with the trainer driving and me riding, but with the top down,it was pretty scary.While i was driving we hit 160. I would think 168 on an airport tarmac ina Gt500 would be even scarier--

FYI--i went to a driving school at Road Atlanta with my C6 vette last year.They do quite a bot of testing on cars for the big manufacturers--its a 2.5 mile rack with 12 turns and a mile straigh backstrecth/.I asked on the of the drivers how fast they got the vettes in stock trim.ie 400hp.he told me 185,mine didnt quite get there with the trainer driving and me riding, but with the top down,it was pretty scary.While i was driving we hit 160. I would think 168 on an airport tarmac ina Gt500 would be even scarier--

Don't forget that they are getting a running start at the mile straight versus starting from stop. Big difference. The more or less stock Z06s at this event were running in the 170s to high 170s. The GTRs ran in the low 170s.

Also fyi and for those thinking about such an event:

++ I was afraid the hood would fly off but it did well and seemed stable. Included are pics of how I blocked about 1/3rd of the air mass flow into the engine compartment. These were just cardboard (sides of three ring binders cut out) reinforced with Gorilla tape. Then I punched holes in them and threaded plastic coated wire through the holes and grill to secure it. It stayed on and did not damage/scratch anything. Don't know if it helped the hood from seperating but I'm here to tell the tale so I'll take it.

++ If you don't have cans of fuel with you, have at least 1/2 tank of gas. A full tank if it is more than a one day event. I had a little more than 1/4 tank and it was not enough to be comfortable and also forced me to cut my number of runs short. The "mileage to go" number would reduce by about 8 miles per run.

++ Be prepared for anything, have water, food, helmut, window cleaner, paper towels, sweat towels, etc in your car. It is easy to get seperated from you base/support vehicle (if your have one) by big distances at and airport-sized standing mile track.

++ Can get into the reasons later, but increase tire pressure by about 5 psi over the recommended 35 psi.

post-25051-1256680599_thumb.jpg

post-25051-1256680609_thumb.jpg

post-25051-1256680599_thumb.jpg

post-25051-1256680609_thumb.jpg

Don't forget that they are getting a running start at the mile straight versus starting from stop. Big difference. The more or less stock Z06s at this event were running in the 170s to high 170s. The GTRs ran in the low 170s.

++ I was afraid the hood would fly off but it did well and seemed stable. Included are pics of how I blocked about 1/3rd of the air mass flow into the engine compartment. These were just cardboard (sides of three ring binders cut out) reinforced with Gorilla tape. Then I punched holes in them and threaded plastic coated wire through the holes and grill to secure it. It stayed on and did not damage/scratch anything. Don't know if it helped the hood from seperating but I'm here to tell the tale so I'll take it.

++ If you don't have cans of fuel with you, have at least 1/2 tank of gas. A full tank if it is more than a one day event. I had a little more than 1/4 tank and it was not enough to be comfortable and also forced me to cut my number of runs short. The "mileage to go" number would reduce by about 8 miles per run.

++ Be prepared for anything, have water, food, helmut, window cleaner, paper towels, sweat towels, etc in your car. It is easy to get seperated from you base/support vehicle (if your have one) by big distances at and airport-sized standing mile track.

++ Can get into the reasons later, but increase tire pressure by about 5 psi over the recommended 35 psi.

what about toilet paper!!

With the top down as in a vert? 160 with the top down would be very very scary.

Roger

I wonder how much the reduced surface area effected heating efficieny and mph, especially in the heat.

Roger

I wonder how much the reduced surface area effected heating efficieny and mph, especially in the heat.

Roger

I thought about that but decided the hood blowing off at speed was the bigger concern. Don't know if doing the blocking reduced HP or not. I can say for what it is worth that the temp gauge did not move higher than regular. It was hot though, at least 95 degrees not considering the asphalt effect. Very humid as well. So humid that in the morning you had to use your windshield wipers.

I also forgot to mention as far as lessons learned that you need to turn the traction control off for best times. I was afraid to do so initially but went for it in the later runs. I did keep the stability control on though. Basically, you have to run through the first four gears like a drag race (i.e., as fast as possible) then get into the tricky fifth gear as best as possible and try not to lose time/speed in doing so.

Wow that is pretty hair. I hope you weren't power-shifting it. The temp gauge is pretty much a dummy gauge and doesn't really move unless there is a big problem. It is interesting to note that on the 07-09 heat was a real killer. I know that they did say this car had a better intercooler setup but heat soak would be killer, especially if running back to back runs. Did you change the fluids when you got back home. I know the SVT engineers suggested that if running a road coarse.

Roger

Wow that is pretty hair. I hope you weren't power-shifting it. The temp gauge is pretty much a dummy gauge and doesn't really move unless there is a big problem. It is interesting to note that on the 07-09 heat was a real killer. I know that they did say this car had a better intercooler setup but heat soak would be killer, especially if running back to back runs. Did you change the fluids when you got back home. I know the SVT engineers suggested that if running a road coarse.

Roger

No power shifts -- I'm not that dedicated to beat up the car that way. I figured that since they were relatively short runs with some cool down in between (hour-plus down to maybe 20 minutes) I would be ok. At least by feel, the car did not seem to lose any power during the day but also it was getting cooler (relatively!) as the day went on -- so who knows.

Did not change any fluids yet. I think these standing mile events are much easier on the car than road racing. You are basically just winding it up through the gears once per run. The only extra stress to me per run is in fifth gear you are at high RPM somewhere around 5 to 10 seconds.

The big problem is when you get above 170 mph what happens to the air that runs under the car ? The under belly of a GT500 does not handle the air above those speeds. If you look @ the underside of the super cars you will see air diffusers and complete sealed body panels . The air is passing under the car creating down force and not lift. When the air flows faster under the car then on top it creates down force . If you sealed the under side of a GT500 with panels and reduced drag you might hit 190 mph. I don't know what GM does to the ZR1 under body but i would bet they have some panels involved.If you look @ the underside of a Ford GT it is completely sealed off with diffusers and splitters to drive air from the front tires. The GT forum has a ( 200 mph club ) which a stock GT will do in a mile .

Edited by mach 1 1970

The big problem is when you get above 170 mph what happens to the air that runs under the car ? The under belly of a GT500 does not handle the air above those speeds. If you look @ the underside of the super cars you will see air diffusers and complete sealed body panels . The air is passing under the car creating down force and not lift. When the air flows faster under the car then on top it creates down force . If you sealed the under side of a GT500 with panels and reduced drag you might hit 190 mph. I don't know what GM does to the ZR1 under body but i would bet they have some panels involved.If you look @ the underside of a Ford GT it is completely sealed off with diffusers and splitters to drive air from the front tires. The GT forum has a ( 200 mph club ) which a stock GT will do in a mile .

Got it, thanks. Interesting enough the 2010 GT500 goes part way. If you look under the engine compartment the entire front end of the car is pretty much sealed off from the bottom. Don't think the earlier models have that feature. Having said that, I probably would not try runs at speeds higher than what I did without at least lowering the car = reduce air flow underneath and therefore reduced lift & drag for a conventional underside plus increased stability. The car was stable at speed but I would not want to be the one to find out where the limit was. Got hit with a cross wind gust on one of the runs at about 150 MPH and it did not feel good having to put in steering corrections at that speed.

I do know of GT500s that were lowered (but with no exotic diffusers/etc) that ran 170 mph to 190+ MPH. Also, have looked around for a functional rear diffuser for the GT 500 but cannot find one. The one the car comes with looks totally cosmetic to me.