TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Loan Approved...so

bonefish

Okay I got my loan approved...but, now the question is which car. Here is my dilemma...do I go used 2008 convertible with 2348 miles or new 2009 coupe for a deal!

Here is my issue...the 2008 is a build date of 03/2008..so, TSB could be an issue. I will put 600 miles on it to get it back as it is in IL and then it will be a DD for a few months..so, rack up the miles. Warranty expires 03/2011

Or

I go brand new 2009 Coupe...all options EXCEPT Shaker1000 and car cover. So I get a brand new coupe..and a good deal with little to no miles and probably alot closer....like maybe couple hundred miles away. Also build date is March 09.....

So..what would you do? You ask..what will I do with the car...drive it..more than my previous one. Mod it a bit...probably not track it...but, who knows.

The phones are open..so, post your thoughts!

Okay I got my loan approved...but, now the question is which car. Here is my dilemma...do I go used 2008 convertible with 2348 miles or new 2009 coupe for a deal!

Here is my issue...the 2008 is a build date of 03/2008..so, TSB could be an issue. I will put 600 miles on it to get it back as it is in IL and then it will be a DD for a few months..so, rack up the miles. Warranty expires 03/2011

Or

I go brand new 2009 Coupe...all options EXCEPT Shaker1000 and car cover. So I get a brand new coupe..and a good deal with little to no miles and probably alot closer....like maybe couple hundred miles away. Also build date is March 09.....

So..what would you do? You ask..what will I do with the car...drive it..more than my previous one. Mod it a bit...probably not track it...but, who knows.

I guess it comes down to price. The TSB may or maynot come up but if you can get the new car for a close price to used I say go for it.

These are always tough questions I think for people to answer.

It really depends on what you're most comfortable with as far as price, condition, color, etc. etc.

I don't know what the price for the '08 is but if it's a lot cheaper than the '09 and it has everything you want I would go for that.

The TSB issue may crop up... but who knows. I have an '07 and it's yet to have any issues with the clutch (knock on wood) but if/when it does I'm not terribly concerned about it... I'll just replace it.

That's my .02 ;)

If she's going to be a DD then I wouldn't worry about the miles on the vert, and the TSB can be taken care of easy enough. Gotta go with your gut on this one. Are you a rag top kinda guy? If your not sure, go with the coupe. To me, the coupes just look meaner and I like that.

I would say the vert. That is only because I love to drive with the top down. Since you live where your Shelby will be garaged for 5 to 6 months, the vert might not be a good choice.

I always buy new, so with that said, the '09 coupe would be a wiser choice. Perhaps you could find a '09 vert somewhere that would be the best of both worlds.

As you know, this is a buyers market. Stay firm with what you want, not with the price. It will be your Shelby.

Tom

I like the vert as I had one.....but, I just worry about used and about that TSB. What happens if it goes...plus the extra miles to drive home.

Yeah...it's a tough one for sure....

Side notes..I love driving with top down...however I agree..the coupe does look meaner for some reason!

I wouldn't let the TSB drive your decision, it can be fixed...for me it would really be more of which do YOU really want, convertible or coupe.

After owning a 2005 Mustang GT Coupe and now a GT500 Convertible, I asolutely love having the Convertible and wouldn't change a thing...but that's me.

Good luck on your decision!

Thanks everyone! I am going to sit down tonight and figure this out!

I truly appreciate all the help everyone in this forum has given me as I have asked ALOT of questions! I do alot of research before I do things so, you all have been very patient with me!

And..the little women has kind of said...hey..can we make this your last purchase for awhile! LOL! I have been with her for almost 8 years and have had as many cars in that time frame. She never knows when I leave to go look at them what I will come home with! LOL!

You are worrying way too much about the TSB. Take it out of your decision.

Warranty can be extended on the car so don't worry about that either.

You also need to provide us with a few more details to help us with your decision. Like the price of the two cars?

What about color? Are both cars painted the color you want or is one of them a color you'll accept but not your first pick.

Same with the coupe/vert part. You have to prefer one over the other. Doesn't make sense if all us southwest people say convertible but you're in the northeast.

It sounds like the two cars you posted about are both compromises and not exactly what you want. I agree with others that its a buyers market so why not get exactly what you want and avoid trying to resell a car next year because you're not happy with it.

Try to narrow down your choices and then you can use the vast TS membership yo help locate the right car for you.

Good luck.

Steve

Well it's october, and I'm about to rinse my vert off, put the top down and cruise today while I have the chance...

You can always add a nice Pioneer system if you have to have more stereo.

Smoothline is actually in R&D for a hardtop for our verts if you want something a little heavier for the winter where you are.

I'd do the vert, get the TSB, or have them do it before you take it.

You are worrying way too much about the TSB. Take it out of your decision.

Warranty can be extended on the car so don't worry about that either.

You also need to provide us with a few more details to help us with your decision. Like the price of the two cars?

What about color? Are both cars painted the color you want or is one of them a color you'll accept but not your first pick.

Same with the coupe/vert part. You have to prefer one over the other. Doesn't make sense if all us southwest people say convertible but you're in the northeast.

It sounds like the two cars you posted about are both compromises and not exactly what you want. I agree with others that its a buyers market so why not get exactly what you want and avoid trying to resell a car next year because you're not happy with it.

Try to narrow down your choices and then you can use the vast TS membership yo help locate the right car for you.

Good luck.

Steve

Both are blue and that is the color I want. I really want new over used and I live the vert over the coupe. And the money does play a factor. The Vert is $39.5 with 2348 miles. The coupe is cost yet to be determined however I feel it will be between 40 to 42. Both will do..the real question is used or new...coupe or vert. Vert is top down probably May through September.....so, your talking 5 months...with August being perahsp to humid or hot so...maybe 4 months only.

I'll take what I have seen here, along with the other forum and the ones I have seen on the road and make a decision tonight... I think I know what I am going to do but, wanted to see what everyone else thought. Sometimes people look at things in a way a may not have thought of.

Thanks!

Both are blue and that is the color I want. I really want new over used and I live the vert over the coupe. And the money does play a factor. The Vert is $39.5 with 2348 miles. The coupe is cost yet to be determined however I feel it will be between 40 to 42. Both will do..the real question is used or new...coupe or vert. Vert is top down probably May through September.....so, your talking 5 months...with August being perahsp to humid or hot so...maybe 4 months only.

I'll take what I have seen here, along with the other forum and the ones I have seen on the road and make a decision tonight... I think I know what I am going to do but, wanted to see what everyone else thought. Sometimes people look at things in a way a may not have thought of.

Thanks!

Much easier now, at least for me.

For just two or three more grand I'd go new. Being the original owner is worth something.

Even though I'm in SoCal I'd still go with the coupe. Stiffer chassis, less up keep, no expensive top to replace from either age or some idiot slicing it to grab something off the back seat, quieter ride, cleaner and less faded interior, no water/air leaks.

Now of course verts have their perks and nothing beats a top down cruise during the spring and the car does look good with the top down.

Hope it helps in some way. Let us know what you decide and then of course we require pics asap ;)

Steve

If you are going to keep the car over 5years .I would go with the 09 and NEVER EVER have a tbs problem . From what i have read on these post a few people have had a nightmare with the fix. To me the coupe with the fast back design just looks better.

You should be able to get the coupe for under $ 38000 or close. Is there any zero money on the 09's ? I would shop the internet and as many dealers as you can. Then go in with prices in hand and make your deal. No trade in will make this alot cleaner.

Or

In your area, I'd go with the vert. Nice summer weather, cruise top down. But it's all a matter of choice. I have an 07 GT500 little less than 7k miles, coupe, perf. white w/blue stripes. Owned the car since Jan. 07 and really don't drive it very far from home much. Live here in AZ. where it's very hot in summer, and lots of not so good roads that if not careful will rock chip the car. I am thinking now of selling it and buying the new F150 "Raptor". Raptor is coming out with 6.2L engine option in early 2010 and will test drive one. Hate to trade in the Shelby so may have to try and sell at that time. Car is mostly all stock with only Borla ex. and a few ext. enhancement items. Hard dicision to make.

Steve

Bullhead City, AZ

In your area, I'd go with the vert. Nice summer weather, cruise top down. But it's all a matter of choice. I have an 07 GT500 little less than 7k miles, coupe, perf. white w/blue stripes. Owned the car since Jan. 07 and really don't drive it very far from home much. Live here in AZ. where it's very hot in summer, and lots of not so good roads that if not careful will rock chip the car. I am thinking now of selling it and buying the new F150 "Raptor". Raptor is coming out with 6.2L engine option in early 2010 and will test drive one. Hate to trade in the Shelby so may have to try and sell at that time. Car is mostly all stock with only Borla ex. and a few ext. enhancement items. Hard dicision to make.

Steve

Bullhead City, AZ

Oh man, that Raptor would be loads of fun in your neck of the woods.

Good luck with you decision.

One more thing..................Welcome to the Forum Steve.

39.5 for a vert with those miles? I would take the vert in a heart beat, but I love the look of the coupe. Either way you can't go wrong when buying a Shelby! :shift:

Don't let the TSB issue worry you too much, just use the warranty to fix it.

Post pictures when you get her home! :rockon: :happy feet:

2010 and 2011 are not real options for me. 2010 to expensive and I don't want to wait for 2011...

I can guarantee more pics than you will care to look at when I finally get her home! There will be pics of the delivery, the ride home and just plain pics of her! :shift: :happy feet: So...get your :lurk: and :drool: as the pics come through..in the near future!

2010 and 2011 are not real options for me. 2010 to expensive and I don't want to wait for 2011...

I can guarantee more pics than you will care to look at when I finally get her home! There will be pics of the delivery, the ride home and just plain pics of her! :shift: :happy feet: So...get your :lurk: and :drool: as the pics come through..in the near future!

Good luck man and enjoy the ride, it's a fun one.

Get the new coupe. You said you do plan to mod a bit and maybe even track it. I can tell you that if you ever do track it once you will continue to do as long you own the car. Given what these cars are, the only place to see what it truly will do and fully enjoy all the car has to offer is at the track......at least without risking too much on the street. Coupes are much more conducive to tracking. Even with all that aside, it's a coupe for me hands down, but that's just me. Good luck with your decision and play hardball to get that coupe for $40K.

Get the new coupe. You said you do plan to mod a bit and maybe even track it. I can tell you that if you ever do track it once you will continue to do as long you own the car. Given what these cars are, the only place to see what it truly will do and fully enjoy all the car has to offer is at the track......at least without risking too much on the street. Coupes are much more conducive to tracking. Even with all that aside, it's a coupe for me hands down, but that's just me. Good luck with your decision and play hardball to get that coupe for $40K.

So what did you decide?? :lurk:

If ever thing goes right...it would appear I am about 2 weeks out from picking a 2009 coupe up....just waiting for a few more details to be handled...but, were really really close!

Then...I'll post pics!

Thanks to Don Donelson for all his help! Without him I could not have made this happen!

Archived