TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Trailer, Need Advise

gth0007

:headscratch: I'm getting ready to buy a car trailer and am not sure which one will be the best. My pull vehicle will be a Ford F-150 with Automatic and Six Cylinder. Mostly I will do short hauls and the vehicle trailered will be a 1965 Mustang vintage race car weighing about 2,500 pounds. I'm thinking that a 14 foot trailer with dual axles, electric brakes both axles, either aluminum or steel with an open floor center section should be about right. Anyone that has had experience with trailer performance please, please your advise will be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a trailer for sale in the Southeast (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Caroline) let me know. thanks for the help !! :happy feet:

:headscratch: I'm getting ready to buy a car trailer and am not sure which one will be the best. My pull vehicle will be a Ford F-150 with Automatic and Six Cylinder. Mostly I will do short hauls and the vehicle trailered will be a 1965 Mustang vintage race car weighing about 2,500 pounds. I'm thinking that a 14 foot trailer with dual axles, electric brakes both axles, either aluminum or steel with an open floor center section should be about right. Anyone that has had experience with trailer performance please, please your advise will be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a trailer for sale in the Southeast (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Caroline) let me know. thanks for the help !! :happy feet:

IMO you want at least a 16.5' for your 65. I put my 71 on a 16.5 and the back end of the car had to hang over about 18" because of weight distribution, I decided not to tow the 71 with a 16.5 and will go with at least an 18". I think the 65 would work great on 16.5. Also I wouldn't trust anyones word on the condition of the bearings on a used trailer, make sure you check yourself or have them checked before towing.

Don't cut yourself short on the length, the least I would go is 18 ft, and prefer a 20 ft beavertail. As you will find out once people know you have a car trailer they'll want you to haul there cars. You can't say "NO" to family so there goes the argument that I'm just going to haul the 65 with it. The beavertail comes in handy for loading and unloading.

IMO you want at least a 16.5' for your 65. I put my 71 on a 16.5 and the back end of the car had to hang over about 18" because of weight distribution, I decided not to tow the 71 with a 16.5 and will go with at least an 18". I think the 65 would work great on 16.5. Also I wouldn't trust anyones word on the condition of the bearings on a used trailer, make sure you check yourself or have them checked before towing.

Thanks, this is the type of advice I'm wanting. The bearings check is especially a good suggestion. :happy feet:

Don't cut yourself short on the length, the least I would go is 18 ft, and prefer a 20 ft beavertail. As you will find out once people know you have a car trailer they'll want you to haul there cars. You can't say "NO" to family so there goes the argument that I'm just going to haul the 65 with it. The beavertail comes in handy for loading and unloading.

My son already has asked how big of trailer am I wanting, he has a 1964 Impala SS he's restoring. It looks like at least an 18 ft. is the way to go. thanks again. :shift:

Hope your not planning to go UP any hills with a six. What year is the truck?

The truck is a 1999 F-150 Ford Work Truck with 60,000 miles. Mostly the towing will be short hauls in Florida which doesn't have any hills. The plan is to replace the truck at some point if I decide to vintage race the 1965 Mustang. (1965 Mustang fastback, near exact clone to an R-model Shelby, Cobra Automotive driveline including race prepped 302 with 417 HP, Toploader 4 spd, 9inch Detroit locker with 3.89 gears, Plexi windows, and all R-Model body, trim mods. ) :shift:

Get the longer trailer--at least 18'.

Going racing you will end up mounting a box on the front for tie-downs, jack stands, etc. That will eat up at least 1.5' of floor length. It also works as a stone guard. Probably a tire rack above it as well.

I would get a 15" rim. That way you can upgrade to a 235 load range E tire when you put new shoes on it. See all the trailer weight I added in the previous parapgraph?

Double axle brakes are mandatory.

Removeable fender to help you get in and out when opening the door.

Tom

Get the longer trailer--at least 18'.

Going racing you will end up mounting a box on the front for tie-downs, jack stands, etc. That will eat up at least 1.5' of floor length. It also works as a stone guard. Probably a tire rack above it as well.

I would get a 15" rim. That way you can upgrade to a 235 load range E tire when you put new shoes on it. See all the trailer weight I added in the previous parapgraph?

Double axle brakes are mandatory.

Removeable fender to help you get in and out when opening the door.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I think I will be adding a V-8 pick up also.

My trailer is a 16 but If I were to do it over I would get a 18 for better weight distribution. The dove tail is nice for loading cars with limited ground clearence. I also have a winch on mine. That is a must. If you have a car trailer sooner or later you will haul one that does not run. Get the winch. Also my floor was converted to flat metal. That is perfect for hauling furnature, sheds, sod, tree clippings, gravel, dirt, misc parts, lawn mowers, pop machines, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, gun safes, really long boards, palets of tile- It really comes in handy

One design flaw in mine is the wheel well is right where the door needs to open after you have pulled up on to the trailer. Some times I have had to climb out the window to get out of the car.

My trailer is a 16 but If I were to do it over I would get a 18 for better weight distribution. The dove tail is nice for loading cars with limited ground clearence. I also have a winch on mine. That is a must. If you have a car trailer sooner or later you will haul one that does not run. Get the winch. Also my floor was converted to flat metal. That is perfect for hauling furnature, sheds, sod, tree clippings, gravel, dirt, misc parts, lawn mowers, pop machines, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, gun safes, really long boards, palets of tile- It really comes in handy

One design flaw in mine is the wheel well is right where the door needs to open after you have pulled up on to the trailer. Some times I have had to climb out the window to get out of the car.

Winch and removeable fenders sound good. I live in Central Florida (rural Tavares, 25 miles from Orlando) so if you know anyone with a trailer for sale please let me know. thanks, Larry

Archived